Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:11 PM

77 posts, read 461,218 times

Advertisements

Hi! The only experience I have is at Atlantic beach.We usually stay at a resort with a private beach. The one time we didn't we were able to swim at Fort Macon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Hi---We vacationed on Oak Island every summer since 1989 and NEVER had a problem parking right at the beach, for free. There are parking areas at every beach access, and there were public beach accesses every 90 feet. The beach is wide, beautiful, and never crowded. Can you tell I love the place? LOL

Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Whoops, maybe not every 90 feet, but still there are LOTS of access points

Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Yes nc beaches belong to the nc public but there are groups mostly from up north which have tried to change that. It happened in Currituck county two years ago they filed a lawsuite to make the dunes to the water private for house owners. The judge threw it out thank God above. nc law states public has legal right to access the beach. Boat ramps are vanishing right now and they are talking about using the new salt water fishing license money to protect some water front from developers and build more boat access for the public. We lost two boat ramps this year in morehead to condos. The publics rights are under attack with the large migration of developers and greed.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM

95 posts, read 101,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Yes nc beaches belong to the nc public but there are groups mostly from up north which have tried to change that. It happened in Currituck county two years ago they filed a lawsuite to make the dunes to the water private for house owners. The judge threw it out thank God above. nc law states public has legal right to access the beach. Boat ramps are vanishing right now and they are talking about using the new salt water fishing license money to protect some water front from developers and build more boat access for the public. We lost two boat ramps this year in morehead to condos. The publics rights are under attack with the large migration of developers and greed.
Excellent post. Piers are also under threat from outside interests.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 PM

The campground we stayed at on Oak Island was sold for houses--broke my heart. I'm familiar with NC's view of access to the ocean belonging to everyone and am grateful for it. Here in CT, access to Long Island Sound is very limited, and you have to pay for parking anywhere near water.
I haven't been to OI in a couple of years, but there were several well kept---and free---boat ramps in the area. Drove 700 miles one way with 4 kids every year to have a beach vacation. Heaven.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
From Charlotte though that is some drive. At least 4 hours to a beach! NC doesn't look big on a map, but it sure does take forever to get to the coast. I lived in Charlotte and went to Myrtle for the day, it took us 4 hours to get there.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
I Found That The Outer Banks Beaches Have Many Areas To Park, Some Have Bath Houses. Thats One Thing I Love About The East Coast Of Nc, Back On Long Island You Have To Pay $$$$$ Just To Park, And Alot Of Eastern Li You Have To Have A Residence Pass To Park. Now Down Here I Can Live On The Mainland About 15 Min From Beach And Go Down And Park And Not Get The Tickets I Used To Get On Long Island!!!!!! Ahhh Life Is Good !!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
If you are taking a boat to the coast, that changes the equation a little. There has been lots of debate recently about the need for more public access for boaters in North Carolina. The parking for boaters while they are out on the water is also tied to the issue.

It is particularly important along the Crystal Coast where boats are nearly standard equipment for natives and of course for the fishermen from all over North Carolina. If bringing a boat is important check out this link.

There have been discussions about building a new facility near the Emerald Isle bridge. There are other private for fee launch facilities available. Some motels even have them.

A boat does provide you with access to some wonderful beaches like Cape Lookout and some nice ones in the Hammocks beach area.

However, you should be aware that lots of the water near these beach areas requires a shallow draft skiff to navigate unless you want to do a lot of pushing.

There are lots of services in Beaufort and Harkers Island that will ferry you over to Cape Lookout in one of their skiffs.

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-04-2007 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: extra word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina