Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM

873 posts, read 1,715,471 times

Advertisements

The Wilmington area is great. I just spent four days in Kure Beach and it was a nice break from the oppressive heat in Orlando. Granted, I stayed along the coast and was about 20-25 min from Wilmington but I fund the area had a relaxed vibe. People in NC seem very approachable and polite for the most part. Not too many cynics up there! It seems like most of the complaints are about the lack of jobs but outside of some of the Plains states and DC what area doesn't have high unemployment/underemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 32,218 times
Thank you so much for this thread. I am relocating to NC in a few months and have been torn between moving to the Raleigh area or Wilmington. I am interested in anything to do with gardening; pet friendly activities; cycling; walkable downtowns w/outdoor seating restaurants, boutique shopping and music; festivals; and people that smile and say hello. Anything better is just pure gravy. When I research official or informational sites, such as would you believe

http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/city/wilmington_nc_us/ , I find a plus for areas of interests to me. I did find another thread from 'THEARTALCHEMIST' that is extremely helpful.

But there seems to be so many negative threads on Wilmington. It seems to me that the negative threads just don't do justice to Wilmington. No place is perfect. Utopia is only relative to what one wants or needs and is willing to just live with.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM

698 posts, read 3,268,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygardener View Post
Thank you so much for this thread. I am relocating to NC in a few months and have been torn between moving to the Raleigh area or Wilmington. I am interested in anything to do with gardening; pet friendly activities; cycling; walkable downtowns w/outdoor seating restaurants, boutique shopping and music; festivals; and people that smile and say hello. Anything better is just pure gravy. When I research official or informational sites, such as would you believe

http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/city/wilmington_nc_us/ , I find a plus for areas of interests to me. I did find another thread from 'THEARTALCHEMIST' that is extremely helpful.

But there seems to be so many negative threads on Wilmington. It seems to me that the negative threads just don't do justice to Wilmington. No place is perfect. Utopia is only relative to what one wants or needs and is willing to just live with.
We've been here almost seven years and all I've got to say is.....yes,we love our nice,all brick beautiful home,the beach,and being closer to family,but Wilmington leaves a lot to be desired. You better have a good paying job or lots of money if you come here because the cost of living is VERY high and the wages are VERY low. The crime is also way too high for a city this size.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,919 times
the good thing about living in Raleigh is that Wilmington is only a 2 hour drive away!
in reverse the same can be said for living in Wilmington!

Wilmington has The NC Aboretum which is such an asset for gardeners, lots of opportunities
for volunteering and advice. it is also free to tour their 4 acre garden every day of the week.

several times a year Wilmington has homeowners that open their gardens for tours, one is coming up on sept. 17-18 , it will be downtown gardens.

I have personally had so much fun with my garden due to learning what is indigenious to
the area. also lots of tropicals can survive around here.

Wilmington is working on finishing the last part of a cross city bike trail , we have taken a sneak peak ride and it is faboulus.

Wilmington is not near as big as Raleigh so therefore not as much is offered. On the other hand Wilmington is small and
very manuverable with a very decent amount of great restaurants and live music offered.

as far as Wilmington leaves a lot to be desired?? what does that mean ?
not every area can offer everything
so one must weigh what is most important to have in life. then go look for it.
as far as cost of living being high , would that not depend where one is relocating from?
those kind of general statements drive me crazy.
as far as crime , we moved from Charlotte and find Wilmington not near as crime ridden as Charlotte,
statistics might say otherwise [ I don't know] but we have not felt the crunch of crime.
our cost of living went down once we moved here.

so no matter what , welcome to the area, be it Raleigh or Wilmington.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
the good thing about living in Raleigh is that Wilmington is only a 2 hour drive away!
in reverse the same can be said for living in Wilmington!

Wilmington has The NC Aboretum which is such an asset for gardeners, lots of opportunities
for volunteering and advice. it is also free to tour their 4 acre garden every day of the week.

several times a year Wilmington has homeowners that open their gardens for tours, one is coming up on sept. 17-18 , it will be downtown gardens.

I have personally had so much fun with my garden due to learning what is indigenious to
the area. also lots of tropicals can survive around here.

Wilmington is working on finishing the last part of a cross city bike trail , we have taken a sneak peak ride and it is faboulus.

Wilmington is not near as big as Raleigh so therefore not as much is offered. On the other hand Wilmington is small and
very manuverable with a very decent amount of great restaurants and live music offered.

as far as Wilmington leaves a lot to be desired?? what does that mean ?
not every area can offer everything
so one must weigh what is most important to have in life. then go look for it.
as far as cost of living being high , would that not depend where one is relocating from?
those kind of general statements drive me crazy.
as far as crime , we moved from Charlotte and find Wilmington not near as crime ridden as Charlotte,
statistics might say otherwise [ I don't know] but we have not felt the crunch of crime.
our cost of living went down once we moved here.

so no matter what , welcome to the area, be it Raleigh or Wilmington.
Look in the business section of yesterday's STARNEWS entitled "Economic Report Finds Port City "at risk". Wilmington was the only metro area in North Carolina as being "at risk". Our weaknesses are stated to be low housing affordability,low paying service jobs and high economic volatility.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM

996 posts, read 1,899,161 times
Don't live in Wilmington, but I just visited it yesterday.I love Downtown, and The UNCW, and the U.S.S. North Carolina.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 AM

Hate to be the bearer of more bad news,especially since we do live here,but in yesterday's newspaper there was another big article on Wilmington being one of 22 metro areas in the country in danger of doing a "double dip" and falling back into recession. The title of the article is "Foreclosures in area prove unrelenting." I know the OP wanted this to be a positive thread,but we need to be realistic as well....especially when sharing facts that could influence someone's decision to move here. A lot of us are stuck here with no choice at this point,but perhaps we can prevent someone else from making the same mistake and regretting it later. Look at all the facts and all your options before moving here....there's a lot more to be considered than the beaches,downtown,battleship,etc. Look hard and long at the big overall picture. Even the so called wealthy northern retirees are beginning to feel the effects.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 AM

43 posts, read 147,849 times
Ms. USA: "why I love Wilmington, NC"...
Miss Universe : Blogs

Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Hate to be the bearer of more bad news,especially since we do live here,but in yesterday's newspaper there was another big article on Wilmington being one of 22 metro areas in the country in danger of doing a "double dip" and falling back into recession. The title of the article is "Foreclosures in area prove unrelenting." I know the OP wanted this to be a positive thread,but we need to be realistic as well....especially when sharing facts that could influence someone's decision to move here. A lot of us are stuck here with no choice at this point,but perhaps we can prevent someone else from making the same mistake and regretting it later. Look at all the facts and all your options before moving here....there's a lot more to be considered than the beaches,downtown,battleship,etc. Look hard and long at the big overall picture. Even the so called wealthy northern retirees are beginning to feel the effects.

most people are not good investors. they fundamentally do not understand what causes the value of their investments to change.

that does not take away from Wilmington being a good place to live, or the things that people love here.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
most people are not good investors. they fundamentally do not understand what causes the value of their investments to change.

that does not take away from Wilmington being a good place to live, or the things that people love here.
I guess that depends on how you want to live......from paycheck to paycheck or comfortably without worry about the rising cost of living here that is reflected in property taxes,14%increase in water bill,etc. and the rising crime. To each his own and best of luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina