Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,982 times

Advertisements

I understand the law. In my situation I could not move over at all. It seemed as though there were some aggressive drivers in a hurry and would not let me over. The spd. lmt. was 45 and I slowed down to aprox 18 miles per hr., got over as far to the left of lane ,safely and proceeded through. Of course I got a ticket and I did explain to the officer but it didn't matter. I have been driving for 35 years and have a blemish free record. I am going to court but not sure what to plea other than not guilty. If they want to reduce to improper eq. or something I do not agree with that. Can't afford Lawyer. Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,595,501 times
Can't really understand what you are talking about. Why did you go over to the left lane? Why were you driving 18 mph? Tell us the whole story.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
18mph is still fast enough to knock an officer off his feet and kill him
when they say slow basically means 1mph at max.
Plead guilty and take it as a learning lesson tell your friends so another officer
life can be saved

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,915 times
Sunny, I thought the law was if you can't merge over, you have to slow down. Never heard a specific speed limit but sometimes you can't get over, like the op. That's happened to me a few times and one time the officer was done and didn't come after me. But I was down to a crawl when I passed.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Sunny, I thought the law was if you can't merge over, you have to slow down. Never heard a specific speed limit but sometimes you can't get over, like the op. That's happened to me a few times and one time the officer was done and didn't come after me. But I was down to a crawl when I passed.
yes your right but in case of this cop that wasnt good enough
He might have a chance but Im sure the judge might use this
to send the message out as well.
Good luck with that if your going to fight it get an attorney

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM

52 posts, read 82,242 times
Are you in Wilmington? I know of a good attorney who will be able to get you out of it i'm sure. I understand not being able to avoid it, but accepting an improper equiptment would be better than being found guilty. If you are in Wilm, contact Fred Owens.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
When judge asks how you plead, say "not guilty" - if you plead guilty, nothing said after that makes any difference since you admitted guilt.

Not familiar with NC courts, but where I am from after you plead "not guilty" the judge will ask the officer the details of the case. Then, you get to tell your side. Calmly tell the truth and things should work out okay. I would start by telling the judge about your clean 35 year record and that you were in the teens when you passed the officer. Main thing you must do is be calm and honest.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,915 times
Default NC state law

Here is the link for the law that pertains to that. It comes from the state site. Check out section (f) that tells you of the options you have when an emergency vehicle is alongside the road. It clearly states that you have a choice of moving over or slowing down.

I would fight it. Doesn't sound to me like you should have been written up. And we all know how other motorists, especially the trucks, will hog the second lane, tailgating each other, and not let you move over.

Good luck

GS_20-157

Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,881,092 times
Hummmmmmm, do you stop at the bottom of the Acceleration lane too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina