Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM

67 posts, read 175,465 times

Advertisements

I am looking at the MBA - Management Information Systesm Concentration side and was wondering if anyone has:

1) gone through the MBA programs at UNCW and what is their experience
2) anyone that has gone through the Management Information Systesm Concentration program specifically.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
If you have aspirations for a Fortune 100 company or a job in a big NE or West Coast city, I do not think a UNCW MBA is going to get you a lot. If you want the knowledge and are looking for a job in NC, or locally, then you should be ok.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:06 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,031,577 times
My wife, daughter and I toured UNCW yesterday. The campus is one of the most beautiful, well kept university campuses I've ever seen.
Although our concentration was on marine sciences-Our guide did make mention that a lot of large and successful business owners, CEO's, etc are in involved with the schools business program. Seems Wilmington, the film studios, arts, etc. and the beach attracts alot of these guys who sell or retire.
Bill

Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 AM
LLN

Bill, how long was the tour, and how did it go? Any advice for next in line?

My youngest is also very interested in UNCW, not sure for the right reasons, but that is another story. She is looking to be a weather guesser eventually, but is going for, at least this morning, an undergrad in physics.

We have a date in April for tour, and she is looking forward to it immensely.

lln

Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 AM

LLN,
From the beginning of registration to the very end was about 3.5 hours. I highly encourage all UNCW hopefuls to attend. The admissions folks go over (in great detail) what they are looking for. They also make themselves available to each and everyone there.
Go-You'll be glad you did!
Bill

Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 PM
LLN

Thank you.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 44,686 times
My experience in the business world....an MBA is an MBA unless you are going Harvard or something. The value that you get out of it, will depend on the level of teaching they have and I can not comment on that. Depends on your motives.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
I went through the MBA program at UNCW. Also Undergrad at UNCW in Operations Management. If you are looking for Information Systems, you may want to go with the newer Computer Science Masters program.

As for the MBA, as mentioned above it is not Harvard. However, it is from a well respected University and not some easy online school you have never heard of.

The program is very time consuming if you are working as well. 2 nights a week and 1 Saturday a month. It's a 24 month lock step program. You will have group work, so that will knock out some other nights to meet. Overall, it was a good program and I am very glad I went through it. Having a BS in business, the work was not really difficult. However, I believe the areas it helped in were time management, relating to all levels in corporate America and presentation skills, both to a group and to an individual.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

And yes the campus is beautiful, but about 6 miles East it gets even better. Surfs up!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 AM

I understand that a bike path from campus to Wrightsville is in the works.
Bill

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

67 posts, read 175,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMosquitoStoppers View Post
I went through the MBA program at UNCW. Also Undergrad at UNCW in Operations Management. If you are looking for Information Systems, you may want to go with the newer Computer Science Masters program.

As for the MBA, as mentioned above it is not Harvard. However, it is from a well respected University and not some easy online school you have never heard of.

The program is very time consuming if you are working as well. 2 nights a week and 1 Saturday a month. It's a 24 month lock step program. You will have group work, so that will knock out some other nights to meet. Overall, it was a good program and I am very glad I went through it. Having a BS in business, the work was not really difficult. However, I believe the areas it helped in were time management, relating to all levels in corporate America and presentation skills, both to a group and to an individual.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

And yes the campus is beautiful, but about 6 miles East it gets even better. Surfs up!
I also have a BS in Business. I actually looked at UNCW for undergrad... but would be at the beach for my entire 4 years there. It really is a great campus. Therein lies my dilema.. I would like to go back to for my MBA but with the economy being what it is.. very few companies are hiring down in that area for me to move.. I live in Chapel hill now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina