Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 PM

85 posts, read 293,496 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family will be in Wilmington visiting our son (UNC-W student) for Easter. We'll be staying on Wrightsville Beach and need a recommendation for a good restaurant for Easter brunch. It doesn't have to be on Wrightsville, but don't want to drive more than 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM

135 posts, read 641,489 times
My suggestion for any sort of Brunch would have to be Dixie Grill on Market St. between 2nd St. and Front St. in Downtown Wilmington. It might not look like much on the outside, but the food is excellent. I suggest the Shrimp and Grits with a side of sweet potato fries.

I'm sure that other restaurants on Wrightsville will be having brunch too. Sweet and Savory Cafe is delicious as well, and is on the mainland right over the bridge from Wrightsville. Coming off the island, it will be on the left hand side of the street before Lumina Station. I recommend the soups and baked goods.

On the island itself, I'm sure that more expensive places, like The Oceanic, will be open and will have nice views, but IMO, I'd rather drive in and eat at a better and more reasonably priced place. Downtown Wilmington also has many of the chain staples such as a Melting Pot and Bonefish.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historychic09 View Post
My suggestion for any sort of Brunch would have to be Dixie Grill on Market St. between 2nd St. and Front St. in Downtown Wilmington. It might not look like much on the outside, but the food is excellent. I suggest the Shrimp and Grits with a side of sweet potato fries.

I'm sure that other restaurants on Wrightsville will be having brunch too. Sweet and Savory Cafe is delicious as well, and is on the mainland right over the bridge from Wrightsville. Coming off the island, it will be on the left hand side of the street before Lumina Station. I recommend the soups and baked goods.

On the island itself, I'm sure that more expensive places, like The Oceanic, will be open and will have nice views, but IMO, I'd rather drive in and eat at a better and more reasonably priced place. Downtown Wilmington also has many of the chain staples such as a Melting Pot and Bonefish.
We've eaten at Sweet & Savory more times than I can count. We really like it, but want to branch out. We did try The Oceanic. Though the view is great, the food seemed unremarkable...perhaps we ordered the wrong dishes. We haven't been to Dixie Grill yet (my wife loves shrimp & grits), but I think it is right next to The Deluxe isn't it?

Thanks for your recommendations.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 AM

311 posts, read 917,252 times
The Basics!! it's downtown.. amazing, amazing breakfast/brunch.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
The Basics!! it's downtown.. amazing, amazing breakfast/brunch.
Thanks. We'll definitely try Basics this weekend.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 PM

197 posts, read 959,595 times
Boca Bay has an amazing sunday brunch and they are just past the bridge, maybe 1/2 mile?, leaving Wrightsville Beach on Eastwood Road. WHere are you staying in Wrightsville? Blockade Runner on Wrightsville also has great brunch, or they used to.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM

311 posts, read 917,252 times
by the way, what I get for breakfast at the basics is called the Southern Benedict, it is marvelous!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Default 5 Great Meals In Wilmington

Just wanted to thank everyone for their restaurant suggestions for our Easter brunch in Wilmington. Sorry that I couldn't get to all of them, but I'm pleased to say that EVERY meal that we had was great.

Friday Lunch - Tower 7 (Wrightsville)
Friday Dinner - Port Land Grille (Lumina Station)
Saturday Lunch - South Beach Grill (Wrightsville)
Saturday Dinner - Indochine (Market Street)
Sunday Brunch - The Basics (Cotton Exchange)

Can't wait to go back to try some of the other suggested restaurants.

Thanks again,

Old 04-14-2010, 01:57 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,800,233 times
Hi TomO

You picked a great list. Tower 7, Indochine, and the Basics are 3 of my favorites, and you say you're well acquainted with Sweet and Savory, which is another. Dixie Grill is up there with this crowd.

I had some snotty service at South Beach Grill once, and decided not to go back, although I think the food is good. Oceanic is a disappointment; I live a block away and I never, ever go.

How was Port Land Grille? I have never been, I get the impression it is quite expensive.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Hi TomO

You picked a great list. Tower 7, Indochine, and the Basics are 3 of my favorites, and you say you're well acquainted with Sweet and Savory, which is another. Dixie Grill is up there with this crowd.

I had some snotty service at South Beach Grill once, and decided not to go back, although I think the food is good. Oceanic is a disappointment; I live a block away and I never, ever go.

How was Port Land Grille? I have never been, I get the impression it is quite expensive.
We had great service for lunch at South Beach Grill on the Saturday of Easter weekend. As a matter of fact, when one of the employees over-heard me say that I found a parking spot on the street behind the restaurant, but needed $2.00 in coins to feed the parking meter, he told me that there were still one or two spots in the restaurant lot and to put my car there. The waiter also gave us a copy of the dinner menu to peruse when we mentioned that we might come back. The dinner menu items indicated to me that they had a innovative chef. I don't know if our experience was typical, but we had a wonderful time at South Beach Grill.

My wife heard about Port Land Grille when she was shopping at Lumina Station. We (four of us) ordered off of the "value" menu that they had and I believe that all dishes in this selection were $19.00. We all ordered different dishes (seafood, beef and lamb) and were very impressed with both the quality and quantity. I would definitely go back.

Hopefully, I'll get to experience Dixie Grill during our next trip to ILM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina