Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM

207 posts, read 963,595 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm a soon-to-be grad student at UNCW looking to move down there in the next month (I'm currently in Pennsylvania). I'm wondering where I can find rental properties from private renters. I have bad credit, no income and bad rental history so I know that apartment complexes/real estate companies won't rent to me, even with a co-signer (believe me, I've asked). I just don't know where I would find private renters that would be willing to rent to me. I've looked at craigslist but it seems like the vast majority of ads are there are still from apartment complexes and real estate companies. I'm sort of at a loss of what to do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM

135 posts, read 640,335 times
Hey welcome to the club! I'm just finishing up my first year.

you should first check out the seahawk pearch on the uncw website, this has a bunch of off campus rentals as well as people looking for a second, third, fourth etc roommate. Craigslist does have several private rentals, and should be having more come may, you'll have to weed out the major apartment complexes, but there are some nice places up. If you've got a roommate you can always find ways about renting an apartment.

But you'll have to watch out since a lot of the private places here want credit checks etc, but they'd be more apt to accept you if you had a job lined up.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historychic09 View Post
Hey welcome to the club! I'm just finishing up my first year.

you should first check out the seahawk pearch on the uncw website, this has a bunch of off campus rentals as well as people looking for a second, third, fourth etc roommate. Craigslist does have several private rentals, and should be having more come may, you'll have to weed out the major apartment complexes, but there are some nice places up. If you've got a roommate you can always find ways about renting an apartment.

But you'll have to watch out since a lot of the private places here want credit checks etc, but they'd be more apt to accept you if you had a job lined up.
Thanks- I've heard of the UNCW housing website but I've only heard negative things about it. Students that I know who found places through there said it turned out to be a nightmare. Unfortunately I will not under any circumstances consider having any roommates, I've had too many bad experiences and need the space to myself. I have a graduate assistantship at the school but won't be working other than that, it'll only pay around $1,000/month, not enough to qualify for any place. I guess I'll just have to keep looking and hope I can get lucky. I can afford to pay almost any rent, it's just finding a place that will take me.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 AM

150 posts, read 351,841 times
Can you find any students who are graduating and moving away? Their places might be available....

Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,951 times
You might try checking the classifieds in the local papers;
Wilmington NC news, sports, weather, Wilmington film news, homes | StarNewsOnline.com | Wilmington Star News
Lumina News - Wrightsville's Newspaper Since May 2002

Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 PM

135 posts, read 640,335 times
really? I found my roommate through there and was pleasantly surprised by it, although i posted and she replied.

as a GA or TA you'll only see about 880 of the 950 each month, but there are definately places that will look favorably on your grad student status and GA/TA-ness.

Good luck on your search!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,293 times
socstudent,

I'm in the exact same situation. New grad student, moving down next month from WV. I've been watching craigslist for about a year trying to find the right rent fluctuations and figure out the best time to move. It looks like any time a semester is not about to start things get a little cheaper. In fact, it seems like a lot of complexes and landlords are starting to get a little desperate without the high demand. As for private renters, there are a lot of places on CL but you really have to wade through the property managers and condo complexes to find them. I've also found certain clues to get past the cookie cutter and credit score obsessed on CL. You can pretty much ignore anything with an img instead of a pic. The names of complexes are pretty much obvious also.
Hope this helps, send me a direct message if you want to chat about it. I've learned a lot about Wilmington over the last year through CL and using Google Maps/Streetview to explore neighborhoods and areas. I think I have a pretty good handle on what to avoid as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_refugee View Post
socstudent,

I'm in the exact same situation. New grad student, moving down next month from WV. I've been watching craigslist for about a year trying to find the right rent fluctuations and figure out the best time to move. It looks like any time a semester is not about to start things get a little cheaper. In fact, it seems like a lot of complexes and landlords are starting to get a little desperate without the high demand. As for private renters, there are a lot of places on CL but you really have to wade through the property managers and condo complexes to find them. I've also found certain clues to get past the cookie cutter and credit score obsessed on CL. You can pretty much ignore anything with an img instead of a pic. The names of complexes are pretty much obvious also.
Hope this helps, send me a direct message if you want to chat about it. I've learned a lot about Wilmington over the last year through CL and using Google Maps/Streetview to explore neighborhoods and areas. I think I have a pretty good handle on what to avoid as well.
I actually did use Craigslist and found the perfect place. It wasn't difficult at all and I'm very happy with how things ended up. I didn't expect it to be so easy but I guess I just got lucky. I'm getting a 2bed/2.5bath all to myself for only $850/month, it's in a good area and looks lovely. Thanks to everyone who responded, I'm so glad I don't have to worry about it anymore and now I can just count the days to graduation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina