Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
But, this past weekend I spent the whole weekend in Va Beach. Was able to go see a musical, go to the Virginia Aquarium, hang out at the beach, do a kettle bell class, go to the Virginia Beach Field House, have GOOD Greek food...all within a small area in the same weekend. And, notice, I only mentioned one food outing. Quite different here...
And the VA Beach metro area is almost 10x the size of Greenville. For what relatively few things are actually there it's kind of shameful. Most of the place is almost exactly like the worst parts of Greenville, not to defend G-Vegas by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,794 times
Having lived in Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth before, I know a little about the area. Traffic can be horrible...if one of the tunnels is closed, you can forget movement on any of the interstates. Crime seems to be really bad up there as well. Norfolk has some really cool neighborhoods. VB is nice along the ocean front and up around the Chesapeake Bay, but inland it is just a sea of subdivisions.

I will say, however, that the level of amenities and shopping has gotten pretty good. I think the region suffers from a similar problem that Wilmington has - it's hard to find a job that pays well enough to afford decent real estate.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,829 times
Quote:
citygirl83 - I feel your pain...I guess it is hard for others to understand if they have not experienced what we have. And, I DO COMMEND, the folks who continue to put their faith in this town. I Do.

I find myself going to Raleigh and Va Beach regularly to keep my self sane until I am able to move.

But, even, the other day, I went to see the US Women's Soccer team play Japan in Cary. It was awesome - went with friends. But, by the time the match was done, I was beat...and still had an hour and a half ride back here...put a damper on the night.

But, this past weekend I spent the whole weekend in Va Beach. Was able to go see a musical, go to the Virginia Aquarium, hang out at the beach, do a kettle bell class, go to the Virginia Beach Field House, have GOOD Greek food...all within a small area in the same weekend. And, notice, I only mentioned one food outing. Quite different here...

I recommend, for sanity, that you and the husband do some weekends away as regularly as you can. Find friends all over and take turns hosting each other to make it more cost effective.

Cheers and good luck with everything!
Thank you! I have been really depressed for a few months, this will definitely help. I really need to get out of here and go somewhere, I am cracking

Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 AM

327 posts, read 602,854 times
If you're used to city living, then there really isn't anything for you in eastern NC.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
If you're used to city living, then there really isn't anything for you in eastern NC.
Because there aren't any big cities in the east. That is like saying, if you love the beach, you will hate western NC.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM

327 posts, read 602,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Because there aren't any big cities in the east. That is like saying, if you love the beach, you will hate western NC.
Yeah, but some folks on here don't seem to understand that.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM

228 posts, read 601,033 times
I don't know...I think it goes beyond city living to just expecting a certain standard of living...a certain availability of shopping, activities, and culture.

I might be the anti new restaurant guy on here...but, it DOES get frustrating when that seems to be the big deal in this area...ooohh...a new Cheddars... yippee...not.

Sure, a city offers more...theoretically...but, if I can find Starbucks, Bed Bath and Beyond, Panera, Old Navy, etc...I should be able to find Gameworks, Dave and Busters, more sand volleyball courts than just at a fast food restaurant, more theater and concerts than just offered on a college campus...I wish I were a rich man or I would bring these things here or retire to the beach...but, is it too much to ask that, instead of bringing new places for the locals to gorge that the powers that be would bring in things like I mention above...

I mean we live in an area where people got excited about a new parking lot with a fancy name...really?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
I mean we live in an area where people got excited about a new parking lot with a fancy name...really?
And the worst part is that parking is not the issue downtown.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
RN: Have you looked at Washington (25 minutes) The bike/*** shop has a lot of events, bike rides, *** trips, moonlight *** paddles. I don't think Charlotte has a Dave and Busters, at least if they do, it is brand new.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 AM

228 posts, read 601,033 times
Thanks, LLN, I do venture to Washington periodically and have made ample use of State Parks, etc. within normal driving distance. And, I do appreciate the suggestion of visiting Charlotte. Thank you.

When I moved here people sold me on the area with the pitch that Raleigh was oh so close, the beach was oh so close, etc. My bad for not fully thinking it through...but, love Raleigh...love the beach...

But, we are talking a full three hour round trip at the end of the day. That is not normal travelling time for a night out. Love going to see the Canes play, etc. But, I used to be able to walk home when I lived in Tampa after Lightning games or a quick subway trip home after seeing my Phillies play in Philly...just don't think I will get used to all the travel time needed to find entertainment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina