Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,022 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are planning to relocate to Wilmington,NC this fall. We have never been to the area, but have done alot of research. I have contacted a couple of Realtors, but am not really getting the answers we are looking for. Looking for more info on the city such as areas to live with two toddlers and at least half an acre, not in a planned community with fees and silly rules. Looking for a rent to own or owner financed home if anyone knows of any. Within 20 minutes of downtown and close to shopping,etc. Doesn't have to be the prettiest area, but safe.

Also looking for the best place to find employment, have tried the Star Online and search engines such as Monster and Career Builder to name a few, but there doesn't seem to be too many postings.

Any other info would be great!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 100,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a breath View Post
Hi,
We are planning to relocate to Wilmington,NC this fall. We have never been to the area, but have done alot of research. I have contacted a couple of Realtors, but am not really getting the answers we are looking for. Looking for more info on the city such as areas to live with two toddlers and at least half an acre, not in a planned community with fees and silly rules. Looking for a rent to own or owner financed home if anyone knows of any. Within 20 minutes of downtown and close to shopping,etc. Doesn't have to be the prettiest area, but safe.

Also looking for the best place to find employment, have tried the Star Online and search engines such as Monster and Career Builder to name a few, but there doesn't seem to be too many postings.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but there aren't many job postings because there aren't many jobs. There really aren't a ton of better places to look than where you are now (maybe craigslist for odd jobs?). I don't know what your financial situation is, and depending on your occupation it may be somewhat easier to find employment here, but I strongly advise you to somehow lock up a job before moving here.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,806,015 times
Quote:
Hi,

What you see on the internet and what is reality can be vastly different.
To relocate somewhere sight unseen except for internet research is in my opinion foolhardy...why not visit first for at least a week...drive around the neighborhoods get a feel for the area..... and in this economy to move anywhere without a promise of employment is very very risky to say the least

Also your profile zip code puts you in Colorado...have you any idea what summers can be like along the Eastern Southern Coast??? Hot & Humid

Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,878,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
To relocate somewhere sight unseen except for internet research is in my opinion foolhardy...why not visit first for at least a week...drive around the neighborhoods get a feel for the area..... and in this economy to move anywhere without a promise of employment is very very risky to say the least
Agreed! I cannot fathom moving somewhere a) without a job and b) that I had never even visited before!

To Take a breath, What has made you pick Wilmington if neither a job nor past observation is bringing you here, just curious?? I would seriously at least come visit (and while you're here, do severe job-hunting) before making final plans--I would say that about going anywhere!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
I agree with all of the above. However if you ARE going to put forth the effort to move here, you should look at the Leland, NC area. It is just across the bridge and only a few minutes from downtown. The only downside to that, is that Brunswick County schools have had a lot of issues. There is one charter school there that gets great reviews. I can't remember the name right off, but it would be easy to find.

Best wishes.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 15,022 times
Thanks for all your replies. Was hoping for more info about the city, not how ignorant I am for making a choice to relocate to give my family a better life. I am from San Diego, currenlty in rural CO. If you can find a job, more than likely it is seasonal and pays no more than $10 an hour. From the research I have done it appears that Jacksonville,NC is ranked #1 for jobs, according to Forbes. Willing to commute to work, as Wilmington seems nicer. I do plan on visiting before making a final decision. I am finding it a bit difficult to secure a job as it seems that since I am not local, employers are first considering someone whom already lives there.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 AM

730 posts, read 1,318,658 times
"I am finding it a bit difficult to secure a job as it seems that since I am not local, employers are first considering someone whom already lives there"

That same thing happened to me when we moved to FL. I was told that they didn't expect me to stay long enough (would get homesick and leave) to make it worthwhile for them to hire me. Kind of a "damed if you do and damned if you don't" situation. I'm not sure what you can do because you need a job before you move, yet the employers are reluctant to hire you. If I can think of anything, I'll certainly post it. Good Luck!!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 AM

47 posts, read 67,508 times
Seriously don't come here unless you have a job lined up. I know that is said for anywhere but I think it is particularly true for here. I moved here a couple of years ago and never found any good employment. I'm leaving to go back home and already have an offer there. If you can find something in Jacksonville then yes I say come here. The weather is certainly nice and I imagine you can find the home you are looking for outside of a development. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:25 PM

76 posts, read 162,378 times
Well I will tell you this........DH got an awesome job (and took it) in Wilmington.......however I need to find a job myself and I am terrified......so one of us gainfully employed and the other of us (me!) needs to be PDQ.......not ideal at all.......and, from what I have found so far, to afford a decent house here it is going to take both of us with decent/gainful employment.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,144,157 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. Was hoping for more info about the city, not how ignorant I am for making a choice to relocate to give my family a better life. I am from San Diego, currenlty in rural CO. If you can find a job, more than likely it is seasonal and pays no more than $10 an hour. From the research I have done it appears that Jacksonville,NC is ranked #1 for jobs, according to Forbes. Willing to commute to work, as Wilmington seems nicer. I do plan on visiting before making a final decision. I am finding it a bit difficult to secure a job as it seems that since I am not local, employers are first considering someone whom already lives there.
Do you really want to make the drive out to Jacksonville every day? Before I moved here I did the long drive to work everyday. Its gets tiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina