Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times

Advertisements

I think I have to go to an antique dealer, but I have a bunch of stuff I want to get rid of....

First, this looks like an authentic signature by Jesse Owens (but I am not qualified to judge it... the picture is a copy, but the pen markings look real.

First (the first two attachments) are a Jesse Owens card, a picture taken a few years after he was in the Olympics, visiting Rapid City, SD
(dated around 1938, which makes sense as I had relatives living near there around then). While the picture is clearly a reprint, (3 3/4" x 6"), the signature appears to be hand-written, due to the depression into the card of the writing. I have no idea if it is authentic.

I have a stock certificate from the "Producer's Petroleum Exchange", dated Oct 8. 1883, Bradford PA. A Pennsylvania oil company that looks as it went defunct in 1884.
Lastly (Can't find it yet, but it is in one of the boxes here somewhere), a stock certificate for the Franklin Automobile Company, 1902-1934, owned by the H.H.Franklin Manufacturing Company. I should find it soon.

Lastly, I have about 250 vacuum tubes, many NIB, along with a pile of old radio equipment.

The question is, how do I get rid of this stuff (besides give it away), as when I move I don't want to lug it all with me. Some of the stuff has value, some of it is worthless/obsolete.

I found no one wants 78 rpm records (I even just gave away the Enrico Caruso records).

It almost seems that items that are one generation old are desirable, but those two or three generations old are worthless (unless they are very rare).

Guidance, please.... perhaps it is the economy.
Attached Thumbnails
Jesse Owens photo/autograph-jo-1-resize.jpg   Jesse Owens photo/autograph-jo-2-resize.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
There are so many types of antiques and collectibles out there and there is no antique dealer or expert that knows everything or sells everything.

With the Jesse Owens autograph, you would seek out experts in collectible autographs. Once it is verified, perhaps it could be sold at an auction of either sports memorabilia or autographs.

Old stock certificates should be researched to see if those companies have a connection to an active business. Otherwise, they are just decorative pieces of paper.

The old radio equipment and vacuum tubes might be best peddled at a show specializing in old radios and parts. Most buyers would want to see this sort of stuff in person and it's usually not worth paying for shipping it around. That sort of thing is both heavy and/or fragile. Google up vintage radio/electronic show/flea market events in your area. Go to the show and see if you recognize what the sellers have and how much they are selling them for. Then try to sell your pile to one of them.

78 rpm records are still collectible but only the rare and desirable recordings, and then the condition of the vinyl is very important. No one wants records that are scratchy sounding.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
There are people who want 78's. The common ones might not fetch big prices but there are many, like myself, who like 78's. Caruso records are generally common (there are exceptions).

Dealers may not give you a very good price at all. They need to make a profit and they like to buy low and sell high. It's usually better to sell directly to collectors.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
SuperSparkle928,
I can give you a lead on what you can do with the vacuum tubes, radio parts and records. The vacuum tubes may or may not be valuable. One of my hobbies is antique radio restoration. There are businesses that sell tubes and they also buy tubes for that purpose. Some tubes are very valuable. It wouldn't hurt to write down the tube type and contact a tube business for prices. You can Google vacuum tubes and you will get a list of companies. A company I deal with has directions as well as a price list online for what they pay Vacuum Tubes, Inc., Vacuum Tubes, Electron Tube, Radio Tubes, Audio Tubes, Industrial Tubes, Guitar Tubes, Capacitors, Tube Sockets, Tube Testers Take notice of the prices. Some are only a dollar/tube, but others are several hundred dollars/tube. You could have anywhere from a couple of hundred or more dollars in tubes. The remainder of the radio or record items you could try eBay. Look and see what the average prices are for what you have and list it. This sort of stuff is purchased all the time. eBay is one of the few auction site people go to to buy anything and everything. Don't fall into the trap of listing the items for a ridiculous price. They will just get passed over. If the price is cheap or competitive, you may end up with a bidding war on you goods. If that doesn't work for you, list the items for sale on one of the forums such as The Antique Radio Forum Antique Radio Forums • Index page List it under radio classified at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques