Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 02:51 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right forum spot for this.

I have a 1980s vintage standing full length mirror that I am self-appraising the value of either for tax purposes if I donate or for sale.

I've tried ebay but can't find anything that matches, either too antique or too new.

I think it is Chrome, good mirror quality, arched swivel design.

Does anyone know any other website that have pictures for comparison or valuation of good vintage pieces that are not antiques?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
1980's is vintage? Damn I'm getting old.

You need to post pictures.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I have a 1980s vintage standing full length mirror that I am self-appraising the value of either for tax purposes if I donate or for sale.
That mirror is not antique or collectible, nor even vintage. Unless it's a signed piece by a highly regarded designer or company (Herman Miller, Eames), it's just a regular used household item. You could ask a consignment store what they would price it at if it were in their shop. You could also go through craiglist and see what other people are asking for their used mirrors. eBay isn't a good source, since shipping a mirror would be expensive and a PITA to do so.

Or see what a new mirror like yours is selling for now, then take 15-25% of that value. Or visit one of the thrift shop of one of the organizations you are considering donating it to and see what they are pricing their mirrors and other furniture at. For tax purposes, your donations shouldn't be claimed for more than those thrift shops would sell them for. And if you claim too high a value, you may open yourself up for an audit of your tax return.

If you can, post up a picture of your mirror or a very similar one.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:52 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
BTW my parents had five contemporary furniture stores in the metro Boston area in the '70's and '80s's. I worked for my parent for years. And I've been antiquing and thrifting for decades.

In the 70's and 80's, just like before and afterwards, new furniture was made in varying price ranges and quality. And there was a lot of it made and sold, so nothing is that rare or hard to find. And not too many people are hot to buy it. However, everyone is excited to see something for sale at a perceived bargain price. If your mirror were at a garage sale, it'd be very slow to sell at $100 unless someone was specifically in need of a floor length mirror and had priced them new at Jordans for $275. Then the other aspect would be if they were in a vehicle that could easily and safely transport it to their house. But your mirror would probably sell more quickly at $75 or $50.

Now if you list your mirror on craiglist with a good picture, again the higher the price, the fewer responses to your ad as viewers judge if it's worth their time and effort to visit the mirror to consider its purchase. At least at a garage or yard sale, they are already driving by and have other things for sale to look at.

A consignment store will be able to get the highest price for your floor length mirror, but their commission is usually 50%. However, they have store rent, utilities and employees to pay.

The antique and used furniture market is a tough one. Basically, their desirability and resale value comes from how well the item fits in with the potential owners home furnishings. Right now, 20th century moderne is popular because it fits in with IKEA's offerings. So if a family on a budget starts off with IKEA, they can slowly upgrade to 20th century moderne which is a higher in quality and durability.

And real antique and antique revival furniture is slow to sell because it just doesn't fit in with most families' current tastes in home furnishings and lifestyles anymore. And that's why prices are soft with antique furniture now.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
It's called a cheval mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques