Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 07:20 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,684,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
Greetings, I am opening two boxes of cards next Thursday the 22nd. This will be my first box break and I am trying to plan all this out. If you are interested in participating, let me know what number in what box or how many in each box. Selling packs for $3/pack. Basically what they would be back in the 1990s; the boxes are 1993 Pinnacle & a 1994 Score box. I haven't decided if it'll be live on Instagram or Facebook Live, or through Snapchat only, depends on who buys into the box break. If you don't know what a box break is, you are just buying packs opened in order and what comes in your pack or packs, you get the cards in sleeves. I have lots of top loaders but not enough if I sell all 72 packs, so I'm just going to make the decision on what lands in a top loader case but everything in sleeves to protect them. I have new one-touch cases if you hit something rare and big from the box also. If this first time around goes well, I will do more fancy boxes in the future.
Best of luck on the box breaks. I checked out you website, very nice.

I mainly collect Wade Boggs bats, vintage and pre-war cards, and junk era error cards.

Just got this awesome Wade Boggs Rookie wrong back error card in the mail yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Sports Cards-wbrbf.jpg   Sports Cards-wbrbb.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:42 PM

1,858 posts, read 797,497 times
Thanks^ cool card too!

Old 04-20-2021, 02:52 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Topps-...8/393250460205

this cards cool

Old 04-22-2021, 04:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgYxUSXd6iY
Boston card show

Old 04-24-2021, 11:36 AM

Finally made the list for this sports cards portfolio website that tracks the value of cards daily with the PSA #.

Plugged in all my 27 assets (what they call PSA cards), total of $849. Some cards values haven't been determined but it's saying some cards of mine for way lower than I thought. Those cards I put into auction right away.

I've sold 12 cards so far this year, lots in auction ending soon, trying to move some cards I don't really want.

Last edited by Shhon; 04-24-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 05:18 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
We can all throw darts at the what if dartboard.

If wasn't blowing my money on grass, cigarettes, and booze and took the money from those silly ventures and put 6K into one share of Berkshire Hathaway stock in 1990 I would have 260K today. The market is a bit beat up at the moment. It was at 293K four months ago.

The best buys in the pop market were/are records and comics. Both markets were undervalued for a long time (Especially records) and have caught fire. They are white hot.

I can buy records for 50 cents, and pop them off for $3-10 a piece, and the money stuff on the Bay.

I found two records in the last six months for 50 cents a piece that will sell for $2500. Both classical LP's.

You can't do that with Sports Memorabilia. The market is way to saturated. And don't get me started on this grading nonsense. That came right out of the coin market.......

You want old, and unusual stuff. One example. The National League Baltimore Orioles of the late 19th century. They won the Temple Cup three times. It's rare as hens teeth, and will never loose value. And is collected by anybody. not just fans of the Orioles.

I have Joe Montana's Rookie Card, and Jerry Rice's Rookie Card.....

One big problem is if you want to sell you have to be a big dealer to get a good price for anything. It's really not that great of a market to be in unless you just want to noodle around with stuff. Otherwise old, in demand, and rare......
A great post. One should collect ball cards because they are a fan. For me, it filled that natural void once one outgrows GI Joe and Transformers, but before I'm quite ready for cars, jobs and women. It changed when I was the first in my little town to discover a Beckett pricing guide...and later the football one with Bo Jackson on the cover and all that. I proceeded to rip off every other little boy in town with lopsided trades. What went from....I need this for my set, or he likes all of the Bears or the Royals, became a key to picking up things like Wade Boggs Fleer rookie for some 1988 anything. (Dude, I'm giving you 7 for 1 here...look, it's the only Marino card I don't have because I wasn't collecting in 84) It stopped being a hobby and for a couple years, a sure way to get ahead. Eventually people found out, and trades became rarer, and my level of interest dropped almost as fast prices did. Like most hobbies, women also proved to be unprofitable, but somehow fun in filling the time.

As I type, I still have my most cherished card on my desk, while most sit in a closet 2000 miles away, awaiting me to return and finally do something with them. The 1976 Walter Payton RC. The guess the Mystery Bear clue is my birthday is May 15th. Not helpful at the time, but with Google one can quickly arrive at Wally Chambers. Otherwise, it was one of the few times one can actually see a color picture of their sportstar heroes in the day of day games, limited broadcast range and 3 channels on the tube.

The reality is, in terms of investment, the cast away Fisher Price toys of toddler years, Hot Wheels, Star Wars, Transformer (but not gobots) and GI Joe toys of slighly older years while my sister's My Little Pony bested most of the cabbage patch kids in terms of investment.

Stocks were still too dear to enter without serious money. It would be incorrect to think that at least some of the gain is US stocks hasn't come from new buyers that may have been shut out at first. Add in dollars to replace pension monies and the lowered cost of sending money electronically and stocks have had a heyday. It's funny the series of makeshift "investment" choices that rose up and did shockingly unwell for their suited investment purpose. Gold rimmed plates with pictures, Coca Cola bottles, Import Tapes...Japanese real estate. Then again, 5 year CDs would give you a double digit rate of guaranteed return....so there's that. Now banks don't need their own capital. They can either get more from the Fed for nothing or simply sell off their conforming loan portfolio for a sliver.

As more shares opt for different classes, with IPO's magnanimously allowing the peasants less than 1% voting power in an entire class in some recent issues and proceeds going to pay off nosebleed loans to founding vc firms with no plan of ever paying dividends, I can't help but wonder if I'm still not collecting cardboard cards from the late 80's.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:57 PM

Sold my bitcoin and bought a Fernando Tatis Jr. it's a Topps chrome refractor population of just 18 in gem mint 10.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
Sold my bitcoin and bought a Fernando Tatis Jr. it's a Topps chrome refractor population of just 18 in gem mint 10.

Probably one of the coolest cards I've owned. Plus that new Jerry Rice card is my first graded jersey card, the PSA case is thick.

I recently ripped two boxes of 2021 Topps Opening Day, pulled some goodies.

I ripped two boxes of 1993 Pinnacle looking for that Jeter rookie, never pulled it. I sent 5 or so packs to my little brother in Texas, so he may still pull it from those packs.

Sold 22 cards this year so far, been using the Alt Portfolio for prices and keeping track of things. I use an excel sheet also.

My complete collection currently:
https://shhons-stuff.com/collections/sports-cards

Old 05-02-2021, 11:42 AM

Sold the McGwire rookie card for just $12. It's been interesting seeing what cards go up or down daily on Alt.

https://app.onlyalt.com/

There is a waitlist but once you're in; you can plug in PSA asset numbers and see the transactions and prices for cards.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 PM

Auctioning off that fernando tatis jr card
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39331593324...53.m1438.l2649
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques