Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
So, with only 10 teams, will the Big 12 go to a round robin format like the Pac-10 or will they continue to play only 8 teams like the Big Ten? Texas is going to play 8 Big 12 teams this year. I presume the rest of the conference will play the same. With a 10 team conference and no championship game I think they should now play every single team in their conference.

My guess is that they will continue to play only eight conference games and 4 chump teams (except for OU who consistently plays better OCC teams...well, not Washington-sorry Never). I do not think they will go to the Pac-10 format because they know that that will guarantee 5 additional losses in the conference, thus limiting possible bowl games, limiting higher paid bowl games, prestige, and the ever so important rammifications of the BCS computer rankings (no, not strength of schedule which isn't in counted anymore, is it?)- but the many cases of pollsters looking only at rankings and records (and not watching the games) and the coaches/writers assistants who fill out the polls (if that makes any sense?)

So, Big 12- do you think you'll now play every team in the conference? Do you want to play ever team in the conference?
I believe this year it is still Big 12-12, next year it will be Big 12-10. So schedule stays the same. When they go to 10 teams, each team will play 9 conference games and 3 OOC. This year there will be a play off, next year it is gone. And from what I heard on ESPN Austin, the tv contracts call for keeping it at 10. No more teams added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I believe this year it is still Big 12-12, next year it will be Big 12-10. So schedule stays the same. When they go to 10 teams, each team will play 9 conference games and 3 OOC. This year there will be a play off, next year it is gone. And from what I heard on ESPN Austin, the tv contracts call for keeping it at 10. No more teams added.

Those contracts will be amended if it means more money for everyone.

If the Big 12 can find the perfect fit then expand. If not, I think 10 teams if just fine. It makes for better football and basketball that way.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Those contracts will be amended if it means more money for everyone.

If the Big 12 can find the perfect fit then expand. If not, I think 10 teams if just fine. It makes for better football and basketball that way.
Yeah, you can count on that! I don't have any problem with the 10 team format either.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
Hmm, I liked the Championship game, but scince it largely turned out to be the Texas and Oklahoma show anyways, I guess not much will change.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Hmm, I liked the Championship game, but scince it largely turned out to be the Texas and Oklahoma show anyways, I guess not much will change.
The lack of a championship game will help Texas and Oklahoma. It served no purpose to them, only bad outcomes could come from it. Playing a weak B12 north team right at the end of the season caused a SoS hit for TX or OU, even if they won in a commanding way. If they didn't win convincingly (see last year), you'd get hit in the SoS and in the human polls. If they lost, a great season was flushed down the toilet. I know all 3 of those things have happened to Texas in the B12 championship game over the past 10 years.

So from that perspective, it's a big benefit to TX and OU.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Yeah, we wouldnt want to save history or tradition, would we?
The only tradition and history Longhorns care about is OU and A&M. The rest do not matter so you can keep your rolling eyes.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
No, Spade. Adding Texas teams is a GOOD idea. Adding Texas teams DILUTES what UT has, not expands it. Add a few more Texas schools to the mix and raise the profile of their recruiting and it will Texas singing the blues, not Kansas or Missou.

NO it is a bad idea because they add nothing athletically. They do not add anything market wise. It will nothing more than another version of teh Southwest Conference and Texas nor Texas A&M does not want that again. Not to mention that Texas recruiting faces no danger from anyone even if they were in that conference. The only way Texas is impacted is if they have bad coaching and/or a coach is has bad relationships with Texas HS coaches (and Texans know what I'm talking about regarding this).

Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas has two traditions they care about and that's Texas A&M and OU. That's it.

Okay, what about everyone else? MU v. KU is one of the most intense rivalries in college sports. KU v. K-State and the other schools that have been playing each other for over 60 years every single season in all sports.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Okay, what about everyone else? MU v. KU is one of the most intense rivalries in college sports. KU v. K-State and the other schools that have been playing each other for over 60 years every single season in all sports.
Those are great rivalries but I was speaking specifically about Texas.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Those are great rivalries but I was speaking specifically about Texas.

You said: "God I hope this conference does not last."

How is that talking about Texas, specifically when there are 9 other teams in the conference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football