Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times

Advertisements

With apologies to Steve Harvey, ESPN has not yet released it's preseason Bottom 10. Usually, they "forget" to release a final one anyway, but be that as it may, we have to ask, who has the worse program this year in football?
Without digging too deeply into the Sunbelt or MAC Conference it would look like the Not so mean green under a new coach will be the predominate cellar dwellers. A little overlooked fact: Western kentucky has won what...2 games in three seasons or something? Last year's defensive coordinator is the NEW defensive coodinator at UNT.
Just sayin'.....

ON the other hand, Mike Locksley is still the head coach in New Mexico. No Explanation needed there.

Shall we not forget Vandy, Colorado State or Memphis, Baby......Hard to Predict just WHO will be the worst....but harder still to gurantee that Oklahoma will be OK and garner a National Champeenship trophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
The whole Big 12, LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,434 times
I love going to mean green games... mainly cause there is no one there, I get in for $5, I get two hot dogs and a coke for less than $5, and I can sit on the 50 yard line.

This year the mean green is unveiling their new stadium which sits up to 50,000 people! That's right. 50,000 people!!!! Very excited to see that.

I think UNT will be much improved from last year. Todd Dodge was a total dud and it ended the experiment of bringing a football coach straight from high school (southlake carrol) to a division I-A program. This new coach will be much better...

Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM

I wish I could go to a game with you there Cyclone!!! I agree, Todd Dodge was a dud, but he was an example of Rick Villareal's determination to run that program on the cheap. Naming the stadium Apogee stadium for $20 Million was probably the biggest cash boost that school would ever get. I hope it does not become "Apology" stadium.
The new coach should be better than Dodge. Dan McCarney has Big school expereince and he took the lowly Iowa State program and got them into the Bowl Games. Problem is, he is going to be working at a big school that is run like a teacher's college now. AND, although he was at Kansas before, the defense coordinator, CLint Bowen, sure did not make any great impact at Western Kentucky last year.
It will take him a few seasons to recruit, but hopefully they can use some ofthe $20 Mill to buy some linemine who are able to block and maybe keep Wide recievers in the program for 4 years.....

What would boost that program most would be first, a new Athletic director, and second, to drop out of the SunBelt and go ahead and try to get some rivalries with SMU, TCU and Tulsa or Texas Tech going. THAT would bring in fans and local interest.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I love going to mean green games... mainly cause there is no one there, I get in for $5, I get two hot dogs and a coke for less than $5, and I can sit on the 50 yard line.

This year the mean green is unveiling their new stadium which sits up to 50,000 people! That's right. 50,000 people!!!! Very excited to see that.

I think UNT will be much improved from last year. Todd Dodge was a total dud and it ended the experiment of bringing a football coach straight from high school (southlake carrol) to a division I-A program. This new coach will be much better...

I could TRY to get ot the game on Mov 19th. Oct 8 would be a long shot.

I want to go over and see the Mean Green play FIU BUT being that it is on a Thursday Night, I pretty much cannot do that.
At elast they are bringing in some decent programs like Houston and Indiana at home. That is a step up. Too bad TCU won't play them.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:52 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
McCarney has a monumental task ahead of him. There are 10 FBS schools in TX and UNT is at the bottom with the likes of Rice and UTEP.

If they drop out of the Sun Belt, where are they gonna go? With the exception of the WAC, a conference change will mean a huge step up in the level of competition, and the Mean Green weren't that strong even when they were winning Sun Belt titles.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
McCarney has a monumental task ahead of him. There are 10 FBS schools in TX and UNT is at the bottom with the likes of Rice and UTEP.

If they drop out of the Sun Belt, where are they gonna go? With the exception of the WAC, a conference change will mean a huge step up in the level of competition, and the Mean Green weren't that strong even when they were winning Sun Belt titles.

Well, I have said all along that they should have gone and stayed Indy for a few seasonsm kind of like Louisiana Tech did when they made the jump. They were in the Southland Conference with NT back in Division I AA

What they should try is going indy, loading up the schedule with teams like OU, SMU, Tulsa, TCU . Tex Tech . LSU Etc Throw in a few Nichols State and Utep or Rice, and bring in the money from jobbing to the likes of OU and Alabama.

I would hope that they would be able to recruit over current SunBelt standards on the basis of the schedule. And the Money would be coming in from all the road sellouts

Of course they would not have the conference money they have now, what is that, like 50 thousand a year or something?
It would take an AD with a pair to be so gutsy to try that....

Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

Southland conference...hello McNeese

Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Well, when you run a major university likea teacher's college, it trickles down to a proram that wants to be both Bowl Bound and Run on the Cheap !

Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Ouch...Mean Green got spanked tonight. It's gonna be another long season in Denton. I don't see more than 2 wins this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football