Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 6,860 times

Advertisements

Suppose Boise St. easily runs the table in the MWC. Also suppose, for whatever reason, they don't get the AQ situation they want. Instead of doing another season in a non AQ, what if they went independent until they figure the rest of it out?

Do you think they'd be able to improve their RPI by doing that? I know it's not as good as being conference champion in an AQ conference, but maybe it's an important stepping stone. Especially if they keep winning a lot.

Is there any reason why more time in the MWC would be better for BSU than going independent? Far as I can tell, it mostly depends on what it could do for the RPI.

Oh, and dare I ask....if Boise did improve their competition like this and still run the table, could they have a NC appearance as an independent? I know it's more likely to be a stepping stone rather than the destination....but if they could improve the RPI, that's a big step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:36 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
IF they went INDY they could get Army BYU Maybe Notre Dame perhpas
Problem is, a lot of schools don;t want to play them. Georgia stepped up and took the risk of playing them in the opening game and went home with a bloody nose !
They would get noticed by playing a stronger schedule than what they are getting in the MWC certainly
But since schools have to make commitments a year to three in advance, it is hard to know exactly who will be the best. If they went and beat someone like Alabama or LSU this year that would be great, I would love to see it, but who knows if LSU will be so great 3 years from now when they would be able to make room to play Boise State?

A lot of schools like OU and Miami are not going to taek the risk of getting a fat liip in a game with Boise State and possibly losing out of a National Championship run as result.
Really prissy teams like Texas A&M won't even play someone that they might possibly lose to unless it is a required conference game. Bigger Question is, IF Boise went INDY, who would play them ?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
IF they went INDY they could get Army BYU Maybe Notre Dame perhpas
Problem is, a lot of schools don;t want to play them. Georgia stepped up and took the risk of playing them in the opening game and went home with a bloody nose !
They would get noticed by playing a stronger schedule than what they are getting in the MWC certainly
But since schools have to make commitments a year to three in advance, it is hard to know exactly who will be the best. If they went and beat someone like Alabama or LSU this year that would be great, I would love to see it, but who knows if LSU will be so great 3 years from now when they would be able to make room to play Boise State?

A lot of schools like OU and Miami are not going to taek the risk of getting a fat liip in a game with Boise State and possibly losing out of a National Championship run as result.
Really prissy teams like Texas A&M won't even play someone that they might possibly lose to unless it is a required conference game. Bigger Question is, IF Boise went INDY, who would play them ?
I don't buy that all talented teams are avoiding Boise State, but probably the ones with pre-season national title aspirations are. The pre-season favorites with returning juniors and seniors probably *do* avoid BSU because they're worried that their one loss to Boise State will bring them way down on account of BSU's weak 'strength of schedule' quotient. LSU went out on a limb and played Oregon because they knew that a loss to Oregon wouldn't doom them if they went out and won the SEC outright, and I'm sure Oregon went through the same thought process. But losing to Boise St. hurts.

Boise St. ought to try to hook it up with teams like Georgia, Florida St., Arkansas, Oklahoma St. Some of these teams are looking great now, but they were in the 11-25 range before the season began if I recall. If Boise St. can get two match-ups with those teams and, as someone suggested, maybe Notre Dame and Air Force, they'll get a lot more respect.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Boise State is geographically isolated, has no natural or historical rivalries, and plays in a tiny stadium. Not a good value-proposition to book the big names as an independent.

I would think that at best they could book one or two big games on the road, maybe the occasional Wazzou or Oregon State at home, and fill the remainder of their schedule with bunch of MAC, WAC, and MWC opponets. Basically, what they're doing now with the added headache of having no conference affiliation and no bowl ties.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
it might improve their RPI but it wouldn't improve their chances of making the NCAA tournament, since the MWC champ gets an automatic bid.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 AM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
it might improve their RPI but it wouldn't improve their chances of making the NCAA tournament, since the MWC champ gets an automatic bid.

There is no tournament in 1A. The MWC is not an AQ conference.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
Most schools refuse to schedule them. Last year it was reported that at least 10 top 25 teams refused. They won't do home and home.(at least that is their reason) Next year they have Michigan St so at least one big 10 team is taking a chance.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
There is no tournament in 1A. The MWC is not an AQ conference.
It was a joke. RPI is a college basketball term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football