Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,221,846 times

Advertisements

Ive always said this, boise st, fresno & now hawaii have proven they can compete in a bigger conference, a bcs conference, why are they wasting their time & talents demolishing everybody in the wac, i think boise would be a good fit in the mountain west, fresno & hawaii could go to the pac 10
& be succesful in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:09 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,241 times
They need to play a tougher non-conference schedule before they start thinking about moving up. Also, why would Boise State make a lateral move to the MW?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,221,846 times
You think that leaving the WAC for the Mountain West would be a lateral move? UTAH, BYU, COLORADO ST,AIR FORCE, TCU VS the likes of San Jose st, Idaho, NM state, Louisiana tech?

Old 11-29-2007, 06:24 PM

266 posts, read 1,334,037 times
I can see Boise St. in the Mountain West Conf. Only problem is, Hawaii and Fresno St. can't compete in the Pac 10 in anything but football, and I have a hard time even seeing that. This may not have been a down year for Pac 10 football, but it wasn't the best of years either. A lot of it comes down to how well they can recruit though, and I don't know anything about any of the WAC teams in that regard.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,889,255 times
The Pac-10 has said that they have no interest in expanding. BSU tried to get into the Mountain West, but was snubbed out by TCU. Besides that the Mountain West isn't a BCS conference and there really aren't many better teams than in the WAC, so i don't see the point in moving up. Boise could not compete in the Pac-10 in basketball, etc, they don't have a LaCrosse, softball, baseball, or hockey team, that all Pac-10 schools have. However BSU does compete in the Pac-10 in wrestling quite succesfully. (WAC does not sanction wrestling) I go to BSU and there isn't anything I'd like more than to see us move into the Pac-10 but it won't happen in the near future.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
You think that leaving the WAC for the Mountain West would be a lateral move? UTAH, BYU, COLORADO ST,AIR FORCE, TCU VS the likes of San Jose st, Idaho, NM state, Louisiana tech?
Moving from one Non-BCS Conference to another Non-BCS Conference is a lateral move, regardless of who is in the conference.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
They really just need to get decent opponents and stay where they are. If Appalachian State can get a game at Michigan, the WAC should be able to find some tougher opponents.

I guess the one problem is now that Boise State has been good for a while, teams don't like for non conference games to be hard, so they pick these little cupcake games that result in 55-3 blowouts. But I do think the WAC if they try hard enough can get some tougher opponents.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:28 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,889,255 times
Some teams in the WAC actually do play tough schedules, Idaho ussually plays at least two BCS teams a year. This year they opened at USC then played Wazzu, and Udub. BSU did actually play Georgia about two years ago when they were ranked third in the nation. The reason BSU and Hawaii (ranked 118 & 119 respectively in strengh of schedule) don't often play highly rated opponents is because they want to set up home and home series with them. This is only possible with bottom of the barrel BCS teams like Oregon State, Washington State, etc. Mid- majors simply can't afford the payout that a team like USC would need to play a game at Bronco Stadium. I think the typical payout that BSU pays is around 100k (a ballpark estimate). Oregon is coming to BSU in 2009 in response to a game in Eugene in 08, and Oregon is a top tier team now. But as they are not a traditional power I think it is luck that we lured them to play in Boise. Teams like USC, Florida, etc, deal in the millions of dollars. I think it all comes down to teams like BSU and Hawaii being too prideful to travel to big schools year after year without getting these teams to play them at home, and this a matter of having too much pride, and acting too big for your britches. Playing pansy schedules lowers your respect nationally. Fresno St. on the other hand does play a much tougher non-conference schedule than the other two WAC bullies.
Go BSU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football