Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times

Advertisements

I haven't paid attention to most of the games this season. There have been too many bowl games for years now. I watch or pay attention to the ones/teams I care about and ignore the others--that usually equals me watching 2-3 games a season. I could care less about the other games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm really not interested in getting in to a dispute with a couple of e-thugs. If you don't want to answer the topic of my thread then don't comment.
You haven't seen e-thugs until you cross into City Data territory sucka. Be afraid, very afraid (and ignore the misspelled careful).

Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
It's all about the money, from the cities that host them, to the corporations that sponser them, to the networks that show them and the colleges that get to play in them. Even colleges that don't get to play get revenue sharing through the conferences, I know the SEC does this, maybe all don't.
They all do.

Even 1-11 Florida Atlantic gets a cut of the cash. Bama gets $16 mil less than LSU for the MNC game, so you know where some of that goes...to non-participants and even FCS schools split from the general bowl pool.

http://footballbowlassociation.com/facts/10fba_faq.pdf

You can suck and still get paid! NICE!

I had to bring this up in another forum where some clueless schlub was talking about the money gap. Well, all the schools involved had someone who matters sign into this BCS deal, which is why nobody really is complaining. This wasn't happening before the BCS came along. Sun Belt schools would be nothing more than a 1"x1" scoring summary in the back of a newspaper sports page with no hint of a TV camera at the stadium if teh good old days were still around.

Makes sense? Yes.

Washington went 0-12 a few seasons back and got paid. Bet on it.

So...I guess...MORE BOWL GAMES! EVERYONE WINS!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I happen to enjoy watching the bowl games----there have some really good bowl games this year.

I like the bowl game process----after the bowl games if the ncaa wants to revamp the process to go an and one process or select the the top four teams after the bowls and have them play off fine.

As far as nobody watching the bowl games----not true----Espns ratings for the bowl games are fairly solid and it certainly beats watching lumberjacking or obscure nhl matchups on versus that get a 0.1 or 0.2 rating.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Rose bowl!!!! Today!!!! 2 p.m. Pst!!!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Sam is down on the field with the winning coach. Sam, take it away.

I'm here with Coach Smith. Coach, how does it feel to win a bowl game no ones ever heard of?

Sam, winning the Tidy Bowl bowl game is great for the players, university, and fans. It also gives us something to build off of for next year.

Coach, you finished the year 3-10 with this bowl win. Do you think you deserved to play in the post-season?

Sam, we worked hard all year and beat a great 2-11 team in the Tidy Bowl. That speaks for itself.

Thanks Coach.

Thank you Sam.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Bama gets $16 mil less than LSU for the MNC game, so you know where some of that goes...to non-participants and even FCS schools split from the general bowl pool.
I'm not getting the bolded part.

The conferences get the bowl money not the teams. Teams get reimbursed for Bowl Game expenses, the rest is divided equally among the teams in the conference.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Instead of all the silly and meaningless bowl games, it would be childishly easy to use the month instead fo have a real playlff system like they do in basketball

Using this year as an example, the regular season ended December 3. Select the top 32 teams and invite them to play 31 games at the 31 sites that can host successful bowl games, as follows:

16 games December 10weekend (Thurs-Mon)
8 games December 17 weekend
4 games December 24
2 games December 31
Final game January 7

This would make everyone happy. The networks get 31 post season games which all mean something, the Rinky Dink Widget Bowl gets its local glory to sell the naming rights to, the fans get an indisputable national champion, the players don't have to get rusty running drills for 3 or 4 weeks with no competition, and no team gets home field advantage.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Instead of all the silly and meaningless bowl games, it would be childishly easy to use the month instead fo have a real playlff system like they do in basketball

Using this year as an example, the regular season ended December 3. Select the top 32 teams and invite them to play 31 games at the 31 sites that can host successful bowl games, as follows:

16 games December 10weekend (Thurs-Mon)
8 games December 17 weekend
4 games December 24
2 games December 31
Final game January 7

This would make everyone happy. The networks get 31 post season games which all mean something, the Rinky Dink Widget Bowl gets its local glory to sell the naming rights to, the fans get an indisputable national champion, the players don't have to get rusty running drills for 3 or 4 weeks with no competition, and no team gets home field advantage.
That includes almost impossible geographics for fans, universities, and media. I'll take the top 8 with only a couple extra games.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-02-2012 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
It was about 15 bowl games in 1993 not there are 67-LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football