Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times

Advertisements

While this article is poorly punctuated in places, the writer makes some compelling points regarding the B1G/PAC12's dominance when it comes to creating a steady revenue stream eclipsing all others.

B1GGIE & PAC Against the World | Eleven Warriors

Even with the SEC's dominance on the field, and to a lesser extent the BIG XII's, the Big10 and PAC are lapping us when it comes down to the ultimate bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,851 times
I'm not sure what this article is talking about... The SEC athletic departments are making more than biggie and Pac! The numbers don't lie... That article is propaganda. don't drink the kool-aid

"Alabama made $31.68 million in net income—leading the SEC member institutions that made combined $91.6 million. The Big Ten was second among major BCS conferences with a profit of $83.33 million and was led by Penn State’s $31.62 million."

Alabama, Penn State most profitable athletic programs - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,190,309 times
Yep $EC is king. The B1G Ten Network is awesome though.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Yep $EC is king. The B1G Ten Network is awesome though.
Yeh, I think the writer was mainly trying to demonstrate that the model the B1G (which the PAC has established as well) has set in place with its network is viable beyond the forseeable future not only because of its network but also the historic and ridiculously lucrative relationship with the PAC. Not to mention the academic endowments, etc.

Certainly, the SEC and the Big 12 have done well for over a decade now in the BCS era, but even the success and dominance on the field of these conferences will not overcome the B1G/PAC's longterm and visionary system which will guarantee a higher revenue stream with the conferences attached at the hip for years to come. Unfortunately, the SEC and the Big 12 are behind on the conference network model and ultimately and impotently leveraged to always underachieve (comparatively speaking in the longrun) with TV money because of the lack of TV sets in comparison to the B1G/PAC.

@GE, I'm not drinking any koolaide. The SEC and the Big 12 undeniably are the most dominant conferences on the field. We should be proud of that fact. I just think it is sad that the B1G/PAC stand to make more money in the longrun irregardless of their performance on the field. This is not otherwordly mind-blowing information. I just don't really appreciate the fact that the B1G/PAC will be, in a sense, winning even when they're not. Unfortunately, it's NOT all about football. Or is that a good thing? *sarcasm

From the article:

"On top of it all, B1G was way out ahead of the field prior to the agreement: All 12 B1G universities carry endowments in excess of a billion dollars (Michigan's should eclipse $10B this year). PAC doesn't have the same top-to-bottom wealth, but it does have some of the very biggest fish in the academic pond. Meanwhile, the SEC, Big XII, ACC and Big East combined have just 16. As much as you love college football, its core purpose is the serve as a delivery system for money to the school. Delany's singular focus is on exploiting the delivery system and making it work better. He secretly thinks S-E-C chants are adorable."

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 06-09-2012 at 12:01 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM

The kool-aid comment wasnt directed at you specifically Bass... just for anyone reading it.

I disagree that the B1G/PAC will make more money in the future. and this is not a shot to the Big12 but the SEC is on a different level. So I wouldn't put them in the same category. the athletic departments of the SEC are thriving... Meaning not just football. People just assume the SEC is ONLY a football conference but it's much more. a lot of that article talks about making the non-revenue sports more profitable for the B1G/PAC... Well the SEC has been doing that! one of the reason we dominate a lot of sports like Track, Gymnastics, and Baseball. Another thing is the B1G/PAC are in HUGE states.. of course they are going to always make a lot of money. That has nothing to do with their "network". they just have tons of built in followers. The SEC's model is built on having great athletic programs... that is more important for us because we must have a national presence to generate revenue because our states are small outside of Florida. so as long as we continue to value our athletic programs we will continue be at the top of the revenue stream with or without a network.

Ultimately the SEC is not worried about the B1G/PAC's money... they are gonna make their money and they should. The writer seems to be concerned about comparing their money to the SEC. not the other way around. And his entire article is speculative on their potential at best... It's a theory. Written to make the elitist of those conferences feel better about being irrelevant to the SEC. What good is having ur own fans being the only people caring about ur programs... the SEC has the whole country caring!

Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
The kool-aid comment wasnt directed at you specifically Bass... just for anyone reading it.

I disagree that the B1G/PAC will make more money in the future. and this is not a shot to the Big12 but the SEC is on a different level. So I wouldn't put them in the same category. the athletic departments of the SEC are thriving... Meaning not just football. People just assume the SEC is ONLY a football conference but it's much more. a lot of that article talks about making the non-revenue sports more profitable for the B1G/PAC... Well the SEC has been doing that! one of the reason we dominate a lot of sports like Track, Gymnastics, and Baseball. Another thing is the B1G/PAC are in HUGE states.. of course they are going to always make a lot of money. That has nothing to do with their "network". they just have tons of built in followers. The SEC's model is built on having great athletic programs... that is more important for us because we must have a national presence to generate revenue because our states are small outside of Florida. so as long as we continue to value our athletic programs we will continue be at the top of the revenue stream with or without a network.

Ultimately the SEC is not worried about the B1G/PAC's money... they are gonna make their money and they should. The writer seems to be concerned about comparing their money to the SEC. not the other way around. And his entire article is speculative on their potential at best... It's a theory. Written to make the elitist of those conferences feel better about being irrelevant to the SEC. What good is having ur own fans being the only people caring about ur programs... the SEC has the whole country caring!
Good thoughts, GE.

>>>>>
It's a theory. Written to make the elitist of those conferences feel better about being irrelevant to the SEC.
<<<<<

This is true....although I think there are some legs to the theory purported. I guess I never realized (or thought about it perhaps) that these conferences weren't as enraptured with winning as the SEC and Big12.....but this article highlighted that truth.

>>>>>
they just have tons of built in followers.
<<<<<

^^^
Essentially, this is what I was saying. More built-in followers equates to a greater overall revenue stream in the long term.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times
Pac-12, seriously bro? According to Forbes' list of the most valuable NCAA football programs, The SEC has a whole gaggle of teams, LSU, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, all on the list ahead of the Pac 12's only team on the list, USC- and their value's declined 9% the last two years (not such a hot team when they're not paying recruits, eh?) Even if this tv network stuff pans out for the Pac-12, I'm pretty sure the SEC has enough financial leeway to make the right moves to stay ahead.

College Football's Most Valuable Teams - Chris Smith - Forbes

Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Essentially, this is what I was saying. More built-in followers equates to a greater overall revenue stream in the long term.
Ok... Gotcha. Good point.

the writer makes it seem like that revenue stream is something the B1G AD strategically created himself though... and that's just not the case. It was already there.

it's like being born into money vs creating wealth urself. The SEC/Big12 and to some extent the ACC have forged their own paths. While Biggie & Pac inherited theirs. (those references was my favorite part of the article... I will forever refer to them that way now... Lol)

Old 07-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Biggie & Pac's plans got derailed a bit...

Pac-12 and Big Ten call off their deal - latimes.com

Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 PM

I think they'll be fine: ESPN will pay $80M a year for Rose Bowl - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global.

(Not that I care!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football