Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the ACC lose more teams?
Probably 25 56.82%
Probably not 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Academics and money is everything. All the realignment we see has been a result of both.
Academics is nothing. ACC used to claim it was about academics to legitimize itself. The addition of FSU put this in doubt. Lville dispelled it. At the end of the day it is about money. The realignment is a result of money.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Academics is nothing. ACC used to claim it was about academics to legitimize itself. The addition of FSU put this in doubt. Lville dispelled it. At the end of the day it is about money. The realignment is a result of money.
It's a mix of both. Do you do research at a research university? Do you know what football means to research professors?

Football conferences make up also make up academic peers. The conferences are all about making money and research partnerships is a way to do that.

The SEC strengthened it's academics when they added Texas A&M and Missouri. UGA, Florida, Texas A&M, Vandy make up the academic backbone of the SEC. UGA and Florida are just starting to make that academic push..maybe even Auburn. UGA will probably get invited to the AAU next.

The 2012 expansion was academics/money. Texas A&M has the highest endowment of any SEC school and Missouri has the 4th - both are over 1 bln. Now endowment doesn't equate to academics..a school can have a lot of money but crappy academics.

Louisville has an endowment of $762.3 mil - that's higher than Maryland. FSU still has a higher endowment than Clemson but I agree that the FSU bid was completely for expanded market and money, not academics at all.

But nothing in my analysis would change if I took academics out of the equation. I don't know who's going to go first, but the next leave or add is going to start it up all over again. My biggest predictions: SEC gets North Carolina. BIG gets either BC or Virginia. My crystal ball doesn't go any further than that.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
It's a mix of both. Do you do research at a research university? Do you know what football means to research professors?

Football conferences make up also make up academic peers. The conferences are all about making money and research partnerships is a way to do that.

The SEC strengthened it's academics when they added Texas A&M and Missouri. UGA, Florida, Texas A&M, Vandy make up the academic backbone of the SEC. UGA and Florida are just starting to make that academic push..maybe even Auburn. UGA will probably get invited to the AAU next.

The 2012 expansion was academics/money. Texas A&M has the highest endowment of any SEC school and Missouri has the 4th - both are over 1 bln. Now endowment doesn't equate to academics..a school can have a lot of money but crappy academics.

Louisville has an endowment of $762.3 mil - that's higher than Maryland. FSU still has a higher endowment than Clemson but I agree that the FSU bid was completely for expanded market and money, not academics at all.

But nothing in my analysis would change if I took academics out of the equation. I don't know who's going to go first, but the next leave or add is going to start it up all over again. My biggest predictions: SEC gets North Carolina. BIG gets either BC or Virginia. My crystal ball doesn't go any further than that.
Schools dont need to be in the same sports conference to make academic conferences. Schools are fully capable of making partnerships and carrying out joint research without being in the same sports conference.

Texas A&M & Missouri strengthened the SEC's on a statistical level, but not on any practical level. Academics at SEC's schools was not improved, nor was it made worse for these 2 teams. If Lville left the ACC and joined the Ivy League it would not actually improve academics at Lville. It would lower some irrelevant statistic for the Ivy League, but it would not actually affect academics at Yale or Harvard. So yes a school might increase the mean or median GPA, graduation rate, SAT score of a conference, but it wont change anything on a school to school basis.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Schools dont need to be in the same sports conference to make academic conferences. Schools are fully capable of making partnerships and carrying out joint research without being in the same sports conference.

Texas A&M & Missouri strengthened the SEC's on a statistical level, but not on any practical level. Academics at SEC's schools was not improved, nor was it made worse for these 2 teams. If Lville left the ACC and joined the Ivy League it would not actually improve academics at Lville. It would lower some irrelevant statistic for the Ivy League, but it would not actually affect academics at Yale or Harvard. So yes a school might increase the mean or median GPA, graduation rate, SAT score of a conference, but it wont change anything on a school to school basis.
You're half-right. Let me clarify. Partnerships do change the environment of the school. The BIG avoids academic mules(except FSU) for a reason. It's true that schools make thousands of partnerships independently(UGA with the CDC+Tech+Emory on Malaria research, Florida with NIFA)

Texas and Missouri did statistically strengthen the conference, and you're right..their joining isn't going to suddenly affect the student's tests or admissions. What it affects is the research output and academic atmosphere of the faculty..and possibly grad students. Post-docs tend to It affects the research $ more than anything.

If LV joined the Ivy then LV's academic atmosphere would dramatically change. There wouldn't be any change for students, but the faculty and administration would try to up their game. Over the next 5 years admission standards might change, but they might not.

But going back to the actual football. Even if I took academics out of the equation. Nothing would change.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You're half-right. Let me clarify. Partnerships do change the environment of the school. The BIG avoids academic mules(except FSU) for a reason. It's true that schools make thousands of partnerships independently(UGA with the CDC+Tech+Emory on Malaria research, Florida with NIFA)

Texas and Missouri did statistically strengthen the conference, and you're right..their joining isn't going to suddenly affect the student's tests or admissions. What it affects is the research output and academic atmosphere of the faculty..and possibly grad students. Post-docs tend to It affects the research $ more than anything.

If LV joined the Ivy then LV's academic atmosphere would dramatically change. There wouldn't be any change for students, but the faculty and administration would try to up their game. Over the next 5 years admission standards might change, but they might not.

But going back to the actual football. Even if I took academics out of the equation. Nothing would change.
I understand what you are saying but we need to realize that partnerships are not exclusive to an academic conference.

I will admit it gives the advantage of creating a better game atmosphere because when you get a high performing academic school playing a rowdy land grant state school their would be a lot of hooliganism directed toward the more academic school. Fans get along better when the schools are similarly culturally and academically.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but we need to realize that partnerships are not exclusive to an academic conference.

I will admit it gives the advantage of creating a better game atmosphere because when you get a high performing academic school playing a rowdy land grant state school their would be a lot of hooliganism directed toward the more academic school. Fans get along better when the schools are similarly culturally and academically.
In the workplace too.

Miss State vs Vanderbilt, UGA or Florida?

Louisville vs BC or GT?

Anyone think the big east will be saved? They're eyeing Fresno and UNLV. What is this the big west? Why not just let the damn conference go. It's no good. Basketball was the only thing anyone ever liked about the big east

Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Big Ten is not going to take Boston College or Virginia Tech under any circumstances.

Here's who they want:

1. North Carolina/Virginia
2. GaTech/Duke/FSU

Of course, they would take Notre Dame Texas or Florida in a second if any showed an interest.

B1G will overlook FSU academics if they go to 18 as they will need another football power at that point. And getting into the Florida market is huge.

B1G will take Duke if it means UNC. Duke would be great on their own if they had any following in football and if they could deliver the Big Ten Network on basic cable in North Carolina.

I think I saw someone suggest Clemson to the B1G? Big Ten is more likely to take a community college than Clemson. Aint gonna happen.

Also, if UNC leaves for the B1G the ACC will likely fold. NC State has to land somewhere. Likely the SEC or Big12. No way the NC Board of Regents leaves them flapping.

No way UNC or Duke joins the SEC. Academics at Miss State, Alabama, LSU etc will keep them out. And sportwise those schools care about basketball. SEC doesn't.

And I'm not convinced the ACC falls apart unless they lose UNC. Lose BC or VaTech? Just add UConn. Lose FSU/Clemson. Add UConn/Cincy.

I'd say it just as likely the Big 12 falls apart. They signed a Grant of Rights. But if Texas, OU and Kansas all left at the same time that wuold fall apart.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
No way UNC or Duke joins the SEC. Academics at Miss State, Alabama, LSU etc will keep them out. And sportwise those schools care about basketball. SEC doesn't.

Spokent like a true B1G hack who knows nothing about the south...

UNC would join the SEC in a heartbeat... and Duke would do whatever UNC would do.

If the SEC doesn't care about basketball then please explain KY, FL, and AR all having multiple Final four trips in the last 25 years.

You are being ridiculous.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Spokent like a true B1G hack who knows nothing about the south...

UNC would join the SEC in a heartbeat... and Duke would do whatever UNC would do.

If the SEC doesn't care about basketball then please explain KY, FL, and AR all having multiple Final four trips in the last 25 years.

You are being ridiculous.
If UNC wanted to join the SEC they would be in.

Look at the last 4 teams you took. South Car, Arkansas, A&M and Missouri.

UNC is clearly a better school to have than South Car, Missouri and Arkansas.

SEC is a football conference. Kentucky being the exception. Arky and UF have had some decent years. So what.

And UNC cares about academics and prestige. The SEC doesn't offer either.

BTW, I lived in Knoxville for 10 years or so. I think I might know a thing or two about the South.

And Slive has supposedly been talking to UNC. They haven't jumped. So I guess they won't do it in a heartbeat. lols.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
If UNC wanted to join the SEC they would be in.

Look at the last 4 teams you took. South Car, Arkansas, A&M and Missouri.

UNC is clearly a better school to have than South Car, Missouri and Arkansas.

SEC is a football conference. Kentucky being the exception. Arky and UF have had some decent years. So what.

And UNC cares about academics and prestige. The SEC doesn't offer either.

BTW, I lived in Knoxville for 10 years or so. I think I might know a thing or two about the South.

And Slive has supposedly been talking to UNC. They haven't jumped. So I guess they won't do it in a heartbeat. lols.
Living in Knoville for a decade makes you an expert on the south? Smh... Living in Knoxville is nothing to brag about.

And I guess you know Slive personally to know he is talking to UNC??? I'd love to see this proof...

And if you believe schools stay in "athletic" confs because of "academics" Then i have some beachfront property in Knoxville to sell you...

And you should do some fact checking... The mighty ACC has 12 Natties in basketball. The lowly SEC who doesn't care about BBall, has 11...

like I said before, you are being ridiculous... But whatever makes you feel better.

Believe it... If and when the SEC offers UNC an invite. They will join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football