Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
This is a thread about conference realignment/ACC rights.

You come on here and talk **** about the Big Ten?

(Mod edit- one sentence deleted)
You called it the predominant football conference which is what I responded to. On paper the Big10 does look great but on the field the accomplishments are not very impressive. You keep changing the topic so you don't have to respond to those facts.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-01-2013 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
Who gives better access and attention in the NYC market? Rutgers for the Big Ten? or Syracuse for the ACC?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Who gives better access and attention in the NYC market? Rutgers for the Big Ten? or Syracuse for the ACC?
With respect to college football, Notre Dame is the top dog in NYC and most likely the entire northeast. Hence its deal with NBC and independence.

Syracuse is a private, upstate school. Rutgers is Rutgers, NJ's flagship school that many of NJ's best and brightest HS grads choose not to attend.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You called it the predominant football conference which is what I responded to. On paper the Big10 does look great but on the field the accomplishments are not very impressive. You keep changing the topic so you don't have to respond to those facts.
Read what I wrote, not what you pretend I wrote.

I said:

"Big Ten- Now the predominant football conference of 14 states plus D.C. and lower NY state, a footprint with just over 100 million people."

Just like the Pac-12 is the predominant conference out west.

The Big Ten is clearly the predominant conference in states it has schools in. I have no idea why that bothers you, but you keep changing the topic so you don't have to respond to those facts.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
With respect to college football, Notre Dame is the top dog in NYC and most likely the entire northeast. Hence its deal with NBC and independence.

Syracuse is a private, upstate school. Rutgers is Rutgers, NJ's flagship school that many of NJ's best and brightest HS grads choose not to attend.
Rutgers has more fans in NYC.

9 of the top 10 highest rated regular season college football games in NYC involved Rutgers. I know that sounds crazy but that's according to neilson ratings. That was before Rutgers joined the Big Ten. There are literally tens of thousands of Big Ten alumni in the NYC area. Unlike most BE alumni, BT alums care about football. And Rutgers is also top dog in New Jersey. Which, as you probably know, has a sizable population itself.

Fact is Rutgers, ND, Syracuse or anyone else doesn't need to dominate the NYC market. They only need to get a small percentage. It's not like any of them are going to compete with prop sports there.

One thing about Rutgers football that impresses me. They've only been putting the proper resources into the program for 20 years or so. They have done very well in a short period of time. Big Ten membership should help them immensly. Don't know if they will ever build up to a consistent top 10 program but they could definatley crack the Top 20 on a regular basis.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,044,792 times
Rutgers will do good to crack a winning record in the BIG...it won't be in the Top 25 for a long while.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Read what I wrote, not what you pretend I wrote.

I said:

"Big Ten- Now the predominant football conference of 14 states plus D.C. and lower NY state, a footprint with just over 100 million people."

Just like the Pac-12 is the predominant conference out west.

The Big Ten is clearly the predominant conference in states it has schools in. I have no idea why that bothers you, but you keep changing the topic so you don't have to respond to those facts.
So each conference is the predominant conference of the states they are in. You only used the word predominant once in your post and that was for the Big 10. Backtracking........

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM

8,983 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So each conference is the predominant conference of the states they are in. You only used the word predominant once in your post and that was for the Big 10. Backtracking........
Get this weak-sauce off the forum. Intellect or go home.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:
Rutgers has more fans in NYC.

9 of the top 10 highest rated regular season college football games in NYC involved Rutgers. I know that sounds crazy but that's according to neilson ratings. That was before Rutgers joined the Big Ten. There are literally tens of thousands of Big Ten alumni in the NYC area. Unlike most BE alumni, BT alums care about football. And Rutgers is also top dog in New Jersey. Which, as you probably know, has a sizable population itself.
The NYC market includes northern New Jersey and parts of central New Jersey.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Get this weak-sauce off the forum. Intellect or go home.
So many sensitive big 10 fans who don't like reality pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football