Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM

8,983 posts, read 17,308,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So many sensitive big 10 fans who don't like reality pointed out.
*music notes* Cry me a ri i i i verr *music notes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,871 times
Quote:
So each conference is the predominant conference of the states they are in. You only used the word predominant once in your post and that was for the Big 10. Backtracking........
Boring.

Tell you what from now on I'll email you my posts for your approval.

Grow up dude.

I didn't say what you said I said. And you know it.

And fact of the matter is the other conferences aren't all "predominant" in their home states. The SEC/ACC/ and now big 12 share a lot of markets.

In reality, of the BCS conferences the B1G and PAC are the only ones predominant in their states. How you like them apples.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
*music notes* Cry me a ri i i i verr *music notes*
He says Big Ten fans are sensetive. Right after he gets upset with me because I said the B1G was the predominant conference in it's home states and didn't say the same about his conference. lols.

And what is a "Big Ten Fan" anyway???? lols. People in B1G country root for teams, not conferences. Rooting for a conference. lols.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Easily the biggest loser in the conference realignment, even over UConn. Their travel costs are through the roof. There is no team in sight that the Big 12 will pick up to give them relief like they had hoped prior to GOR by the ACC. All the while they have got a trashing in their athletics. It just gets worse from this point forward.

So WVU is sitting safely in a BCS conference and uConn got left out, but WVU is the loser? lols. WVU will make 20 some million off tv deals per year. UConn will make a million or so. You WVU is the loser? lols. I can guarentee you UConn would trade places with WVU in a heartbeat. Sure WVU would have liked the SEC or ACC but they still made a huge step up from where UConn is. It's not even a contest.

LOL... The Big 10 lost out on it's long fight to gain Notre Dame. At the same time, their football programs produce an all time low last year. PS I live in one of those other states (i.e. a non B10 state) and B10 Network is already part of my basic cable package; it's been that way for a couple years now. Congrats on them gaining a new sport!

The Big Ten wasn't trying to get Notre Dame. They didn't even talk to them. B1G hasn't "fought" for ND since the late 90s. ND has an open invitation to any conference at any time. And any conference would take them. Using your logic all conferences were losers, since none of them got ND, and the ACC was a partial winner. I don't care what your cable offers, Big Ten Network was not in Maryland/New Jersey. That's millions per month in new tv money by adding those states. If they can get into a portion of the NYC market they will solidy themselves as the wealthiest conference in the country. Looking at around $2 per household per month in subscriber fees and the extra advertising money from a few million new eyeballs. But they "lost". lols. And I was wrong, B1G still needs one more team to field a lacrosse conference. Some B1G school will step up. A sport like lacrosse is huge. Anytime you can get a Olympic sport that breaks even or makes money you are ahead of 99% of the other colleges. Big Ten hockey starts next year and the 6 schools will get 2 million per team per year in tv money. Lacrosse could potentially make money for participating schools also. Taking the extra pressure off football and basketball to fund other sports is huge. Not many sports can do it. SEC baseball makes money I would think. PAC baseball might. Not really sure. Other than that there are few teams that do it. Women's bb in Knoxville and Storrs. Penn State women's volleyball. That's a big relief for athletic departments.

BTW, Notre Dame would be a terrible fit in the Big Ten. It's all in or all out in the the B1G. Same with the SEC and the PAC. That's one of the reasons why they are extremely stable conferences with bright futures. All the schools are like-minded and they split the money evenly. Look at what happened to the Big East. Bunch of schools that were terribke fits for each other and didn't even share the same sports in many cases. You didn't see any school consider leaving the SEC, B1G, or PAC. Schools left the BE, ACC and Big12. There's a reason for that. The SEC, B1g and PAC are far, far better places to be. Those are the 3 winners in conference realignment. They got what they wanted or they wouldn'r have added anyone.

Outside the nice paycheck, they actually did terrible. Colorado is practically a Div 2 school today. Utah has slowly gone back to mediocrisy. They picked these two over the two they should have gone for i.e. Boise St and San Diego St.

So WVU was a bad add due to travel issues but Boise would have been good for the PAC? lols. Fly into Piitsburgh for a WVU game, then fly into Boise for a Broncos game. lols. Plus, Boise is one of the worst schools in the country academically. You think Stanford, UCLA, Cal, and USC want to associate with a low-ball community college? lols. And you think they would take a Cal State school like San Diego? lols. No way in hell. And San Diego gets them zero new markets. Colrado was definately a strong pick. Utah wasn't bad. The PAC is limited somewhat due to geography. Texas would have been the best but Col and Utah are pretty decent.

Do you really believe that SEC schools weren't already recruiting in Texas... If so, you are really kidding yourself.

They have always recruited Texas. Having aTm in the SEC should make it more appealing to Texas kids. In theory it makes it easier to recruit Texas and opens up new opportunities.

Louisville athletically is better than Maryland was. Pitt is a historical. Syracuse is a national basketball powerhouse. Both fit academically. And then there is Notre Dame. They might not be fully in but they will one day. GOR solified the league. The league is in development for their own network i.e. restructuring their deal. ACC on the upswing.
The ACC did worse than the Big Ten/SEC/PAC. Losing Maryland was a big blow. It would be like ripping Tennessee from the SEC or Indiana from the B1G. You don't lose teams and become a winner. There was no way they would have added UL unless they had to. They were the best of what was left. Though they might turn out to be a good addition in time. And Syracuse and Pitt would have joined the B1G or SEC over the ACC and everyone knows it. Neither school did anything for those 2 conferences. Still not bad pick-ups for the ACC. But nowhere near Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers for the B1G and Missouri and aTm for the SEC.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The ACC did worse than the Big Ten/SEC/PAC. Losing Maryland was a big blow. It would be like ripping Tennessee from the SEC or Indiana from the B1G. You don't lose teams and become a winner. There was no way they would have added UL unless they had to. They were the best of what was left. Though they might turn out to be a good addition in time. And Syracuse and Pitt would have joined the B1G or SEC over the ACC and everyone knows it. Neither school did anything for those 2 conferences. Still not bad pick-ups for the ACC. But nowhere near Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers for the B1G and Missouri and aTm for the SEC.
The ACC should now have the premiere basketball conference in the country with the additions of Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. They gained big time access to the NYC market with the addition of Syracuse. Yes the loss of Maryland hurts, but the additions have helped soften the blow a lot.

Rutgers is nowhere close to as good a grab as Syracuse is for the ACC. Heck look at how well Louisville's sports teams have performed over the last few years. They're another solid add for the ACC.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,044,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The ACC should now have the premiere basketball conference in the country with the additions of Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. They gained big time access to the NYC market with the addition of Syracuse. Yes the loss of Maryland hurts, but the additions have helped soften the blow a lot.

Rutgers is nowhere close to as good a grab as Syracuse is for the ACC. Heck look at how well Louisville's sports teams have performed over the last few years. They're another solid add for the ACC.
Good post.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

If you asked Big 10 fans a year ago their thoughts on Rutgers and Maryland they would have called them terrible sports programs. Now they find all these "positives".

Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:
If you asked Big 10 fans a year ago their thoughts on Rutgers and Maryland they would have called them terrible sports programs. Now they find all these "positives".
I grew up near Rutgers' main campus and graduated from Maryland. Rutgers doesn't have football tradition. Once the losses rack up, the faculty and many students will call for the program's downgrade. With respect to Maryland, once the novelty of playing OSU and Michigan wears off, it'll suffer from a bad case of buyer's remorse.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
So WVU is sitting safely in a BCS conference and uConn got left out, but WVU is the loser? lols. WVU will make 20 some million off tv deals per year. UConn will make a million or so. You WVU is the loser? lols. I can guarentee you UConn would trade places with WVU in a heartbeat.Sure WVU would have liked the SEC or ACC but they still made a huge step up from where UConn is. It's not even a contest.
UConn will still have life whether in this new BE or as an independent. They are historic and are a beast in Basketball. This alone will bring them revenue. West Virginia doesn't have that. Say the Big 12 disbands (which could be the reality in the next couple years), where does WVU have life? Nowhere. They aren't historic, their athletics have gone to crap, West Virginia as a state isn't that marketable... It is lose-lose for them. Moving to the Big 12 gives them some revenue but the costs are through the roof. WV MetroNews – WVU athletics nearly $13 million in debt last year... At least UConn is in the positive. Fun Fact: UConn makes more in Women's Basketball than they do in Football.

Quote:
I don't care what your cable offers, Big Ten Network was not in Maryland/New Jersey.
That's funny because I remember turning to the channel in a hotel I was in Maryland a couple years back...

Quote:
BTW, Notre Dame would be a terrible fit in the Big Ten. It's all in or all out in the the B1G. Same with the SEC and the PAC. That's one of the reasons why they are extremely stable conferences with bright futures. All the schools are like-minded and they split the money evenly. Look at what happened to the Big East. Bunch of schools that were terribke fits for each other and didn't even share the same sports in many cases. You didn't see any school consider leaving yet (yes I added this) the SEC, B1G, or PAC. Schools left the BE, ACC and Big12. There's a reason for that. The SEC, B1g and PAC are far, far better places to be. Those are the 3 winners in conference realignment. They got what they wanted or they wouldn'r have added anyone.
The PAC is on its own island. They don't have any worries of a conference poaching their teams. Winners taking Rutgers (who most forum board members have trashed over the last decade) and Missouri (total unknown for countless years)?!?!? Winners taking Colorado (can they beat anyone in FBS?) and Utah (the midmajor who dropped off the map when Meyer fled)?!?!? Dude you are totally kidding yourself. They are what you call... easy-ins.

Quote:
So WVU was a bad add due to travel issues but Boise would have been good for the PAC? lols. Fly into Piitsburgh for a WVU game, then fly into Boise for a Broncos game. lols. Plus, Boise is one of the worst schools in the country academically. You think Stanford, UCLA, Cal, and USC want to associate with a low-ball community college? lols. And you think they would take a Cal State school like San Diego? lols. No way in hell. And San Diego gets them zero new markets. Colrado was definately a strong pick. Utah wasn't bad. The PAC is limited somewhat due to geography. Texas would have been the best but Col and Utah are pretty decent.
I didn't realize WVU was in the PAC Boise St/San Diego St was not a good fit for the Big East. It took them a little long to truly realize that but they eventually did.

Colorado strong... ROFL... *trying to catch breath*... ROFL... Dude that is the funniest thing I have heard for a long while on this forum. Fun Fact: when I google Colorado, I get Colorado State University as an option yet nothing about the Buffalos... ROFL... they were 1-11 with losses to FCS.... ROFL... I am dying here... ROFL...

Quote:
They have always recruited Texas. Having aTm in the SEC should make it more appealing to Texas kids. In theory it makes it easier to recruit Texas and opens up new opportunities.
How do they make it anymore appealing... "hey son you want to play for Nick Saban" "Absolutely"... I guarantee their decision had nothing to do with whether Texas A&M was there or not. If a player has hype, trust me all the big schools have recruiters talking to that kid. The kid's decision for the most part has little to nothing to deal with the conference they are in. It is about coaching, closeness to home, best opportunity to start, team that can compete, etc. Don't believe me... look at how high Ohio St and Notre Dame have jumped in recruiting since adding new coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88

Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Verizon Fios includes the Big Ten Network (presumably as part of the Fox Sports package) in both the NJ and the DC markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football