Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times

Advertisements

next year we'll have a four team playoff. It's a step in the right direction but the ideal number is eight teams.

Here is how I would structure an 8-team playoff using this years season

5 major conference champions + 3 wild cards

I would keep the traditional bowl tie ins for the first round instead of seeding teams.

Round 1- All games on New Years Day

Rose Bowl -Stanford vs Michigan St
Orange Bowl- Florida St vs Central Florida
Sugar Bowl- Auburn vs Ohio St
Fiesta Bowl - Baylor vs Alabama

The only team I was unsure about was Ohio St. Would it be right to reward an Ohio St team that just lost their conference title game a spot in the playoff? But all the other teams I looked at had two losses and didn't even make it to their conference title game.

Round 2 re-seed teams according to rankings. Higher ranked team gets home game

Stanford @ Auburn
Alabama @ Florida St

Final at neutral ground

Auburn vs Florida St
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
i've stated this one here many times: I love your "8", but sure wish that there were 8 major conferences (with 12 teams each) with their champions automatically going into the tournament (with no wild cards)

Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 AM

675 posts, read 1,415,027 times
I still think the point I made about travel & logistics in this (very similar) thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...do-things.html

would be a major issue. Playing 3 weeks in a row, with short notice on travel, will be prohibitive for large fan bases to be able to attend... especially if it's all in early Jan right when classes are starting back up.

I think it's much more likely to work if you put the first round (of 8-team 3 round bracket) in early Dec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football