Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2023, 06:38 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times

Advertisements

Well it's in the books. Colorado 2-0
Obviously Colorado is still very much a work in progress. Shedeur sacked 7 times. Part of that was on the oline, but several of those were due to Shedeur holding the ball too long. While I appreciate that Shedeur refuses to default to running the ball, looking for an open receiver till the very last second, he DOES need to work on throwing the ball away rather than taking the sack.
Defense was MUCH improved. One thing that really popped out that might make the Sanders family dinner a tad awkward...Shilo Sanders...not the best showing. I'm honestly not sure he should even be starting. I just see too many blown assignments, poor form shoulder tackles or just straight up whiffs. And it's not like he's a freshman who is just learning the ropes. He's a senior and this is supposed to be his season to shine if he hopes to play on Sundays. Not doing the best job of it right now.

I know absolutely nothing about the Nebraska team. Supposedly the QB is the best they have...Lord he had some brutal turnovers. Just mindboggling how those can happen at this level. Frankly, they CAN'T happen. I feel bad for a once proud team as to how far they've fallen. Hopefully they give Matt Rhule some grace, although I dont know why they wouldnt. Nebraska hasnt been relevant at all in several years. Their fans should be used to this by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 07:38 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
^^^^Have to about agree about the work in progress. The line was better but getting sacked 7 times makes for a long season for Shedeur. Plus stupid of Shedeur to take off his helmet for a 2 pt conversion that eventually failed on review. Just not smart. The unsportsman-like penalty Shilo received was ticky tack at best. Shilo took a bad angle on a score. Not his best outing. Just bonehead penalties for the most part by Colorado. Buffs still won big. However, Nebraska sucks. They gave the game away. Turnovers, etc. Looks like a long season for them. Their defensive line is stout so coach is sticking to his line of building from inside out. Also, agreed that administration is giving Coach Rhule a long leash for this season. Buffs might roll over Colorado State but they have to clean up their mistakes and put together a complete game to beat the Oregon's and USC's of the world. Positive is that Shedeur is a surgeon when he has time and receivers can get open. It seems Weaver is consistent. He's the go to guy thus far. Horn is up and down. Running game was better but they have to get some consistency in that part of the game as well. They still dominated so a win is a win.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:55 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^Have to about agree about the work in progress. The line was better but getting sacked 7 times makes for a long season for Shedeur. Plus stupid of Shedeur to take off his helmet for a 2 pt conversion that eventually failed on review. Just not smart. The unsportsman-like penalty Shilo received was ticky tack at best. Shilo took a bad angle on a score. Not his best outing. Just bonehead penalties for the most part by Colorado. Buffs still won big. However, Nebraska sucks. They gave the game away. Turnovers, etc. Looks like a long season for them. Their defensive line is stout so coach is sticking to his line of building from inside out. Also, agreed that administration is giving Coach Rhule a long leash for this season. Buffs might roll over Colorado State but they have to clean up their mistakes and put together a complete game to beat the Oregon's and USC's of the world. Positive is that Shedeur is a surgeon when he has time and receivers can get open. It seems Weaver is consistent. He's the go to guy thus far. Horn is up and down. Running game was better but they have to get some consistency in that part of the game as well. They still dominated so a win is a win.
Well said. I agree, you are so right. Some things for CU to clean up. Right now they are playing like nobody outside of the team thought they would. They are 2-0 with more wins out there on the schedule. I think the mistakes are fixable and the Buffs will get to a bowl game. Might be too much to say they contend for the PAC-12 title because there are other pretty decent teams they would have to overcome.

Nebraska, they just look lost. There was no sustained consistency on offense. From all the mistakes, they really seem to be their own worst enemies.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:14 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Buffs still won big. However, Nebraska sucks. They gave the game away...the Oregon's and USC's of the world...They still dominated so a win is a win.
I think you are wrong.

The Cornhuskers did not come into Folsom Field to suck, nor did that sea of red in the northeast stands come from the eastern prairies of Nebraska come to see the Cornhuskers suck.

This is an old rivalry rejuvenated. See it how you want. Nebraska Honks wanted badly to see Coach Prime choke, and neither he nor his Team obliged.

The CSU Rams should be a Tuneup game, but we'll have to see. Over the past decade or so, CU has been a lost team, struggling and losing to the likes of lowly Mountain West teams. I don't think that's going to happen to this year's edition of the CU Buffs.

I think the Buffs will be as ready as they can be for the Duck game and the Southern California game.

But, we take these games one at a time in this here thread that I dragged out from obscurity.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:06 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
^^^^Agreed! Always one game at a time. As said above, they're 2-0. I just saw the early line on the Buffs vs. CSU. -21 Buffs favored. I think at this point I will lay off that one. Nothings a sure thing but the first 2 wagers on Colorado turned out well for me. Good job, Prime!

Old 09-10-2023, 02:12 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
On a side note 8 Pac-12 teams in the top 25 this week. The conference might go out with a bang.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
On a side note 8 Pac-12 teams in the top 25 this week. The conference might go out with a bang.
Speaking of that, it was either a stroke of genius or plain old luck that Colorado is moving to the Big 12 right after hiring Deion. He was going to need time to build up a recruiting base in the PAC 12 territory, but thanks to this move where now he’s going to be recruiting Texas instead, that’s huge for him.

This is the guy who spent years not only playing in Texas, but more importantly coaching texas high school football. You have to assume that for Dallas and to a slightly lesser degree Houston, he is now in the running for most of the texas blue chip talent. I’d like his recruiting chances even going against the Nick Sabans of the world in Texas. You already know every DB and receiver would jump at the chance to learn from the goat DB. He’s already brought in greats like Michael Irvin and TO to speak with the team. Even linemen, he would just tell them “look, you can go to Alabama or Georgia and sit behind the 5 star recruit they brought in last year, or come play for me right now. In the Big 12 that means you will get the chance to come home for a game in front of family”.

I’m not carried away like some who are already pencilling in a national championship and the heisman in his first year at Colorado, but I honestly think things are falling into place for him to have a really good run, with the chance to bring a title or two to Boulder. He’s already got a 5 year contract so he’s got some time to build this up right. Combine that with the fact that the Big 12 won’t have a blue blood powerhouse to worry about once Texas and Oklahoma leave, it’s all there for the taking.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:08 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Speaking of that, it was either a stroke of genius or plain old luck that Colorado is moving to the Big 12 right after hiring Deion. He was going to need time to build up a recruiting base in the PAC 12 territory, but thanks to this move where now he’s going to be recruiting Texas instead, that’s huge for him.

This is the guy who spent years not only playing in Texas, but more importantly coaching texas high school football. You have to assume that for Dallas and to a slightly lesser degree Houston, he is now in the running for most of the texas blue chip talent. I’d like his recruiting chances even going against the Nick Sabans of the world in Texas. You already know every DB and receiver would jump at the chance to learn from the goat DB. He’s already brought in greats like Michael Irvin and TO to speak with the team. Even linemen, he would just tell them “look, you can go to Alabama or Georgia and sit behind the 5 star recruit they brought in last year, or come play for me right now. In the Big 12 that means you will get the chance to come home for a game in front of family”.

I’m not carried away like some who are already pencilling in a national championship and the heisman in his first year at Colorado, but I honestly think things are falling into place for him to have a really good run, with the chance to bring a title or two to Boulder. He’s already got a 5 year contract so he’s got some time to build this up right. Combine that with the fact that the Big 12 won’t have a blue blood powerhouse to worry about once Texas and Oklahoma leave, it’s all there for the taking.
I don't how his contract is worked but if he pulls off a 9 or 10 win season bumping off a couple top 15 teams in the process. And if his son leaves for the NFL he could be one and done in Colorado. If a NCAA powerhouse comes a calling. How does he say no? And obviously if they really do well and end the season in the top 10 near a playoff spot. That scenario is even more likely. There has been some chatter about Ohio St being a possibility. Oklahoma and Florida are also possibles. You have to ride that wave. You can't do better than a 1 win team turning into a 10+ win team. Hate to talk about him leaving 2 games in. But what he is done just never happens like this. Colleges are ruthless look at USC and Oklahoma.

Where could Deion Sanders land after Colorado? Coach Prime’s early success at Colorado is the talk of college football. So we wonder, could he bolt for another job after just one season? And where to?

Draftkings has Florida, Oklahoma, Alabama and the Dallas Cowboys on their one and done list.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:40 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
I don't how his contract is worked but if he pulls off a 9 or 10 win season bumping off a couple top 15 teams in the process. And if his son leaves for the NFL he could be one and done in Colorado. If a NCAA powerhouse comes a calling. How does he say no? And obviously if they really do well and end the season in the top 10 near a playoff spot. That scenario is even more likely. There has been some chatter about Ohio St being a possibility. Oklahoma and Florida are also possibles. You have to ride that wave. You can't do better than a 1 win team turning into a 10+ win team. Hate to talk about him leaving 2 games in. But what he is done just never happens like this. Colleges are ruthless look at USC and Oklahoma.

Where could Deion Sanders land after Colorado? Coach Prime’s early success at Colorado is the talk of college football. So we wonder, could he bolt for another job after just one season? And where to?

Draftkings has Florida, Oklahoma, Alabama and the Dallas Cowboys on their one and done list.
Doubtful the powers that be at AL, OK, and FL would hire him..

Old 09-10-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Coach Prime has said repeatedly that he has no interest in coaching in the NFL. And I actually believe him on that. His style might impress awe struck boys but less likely to work with grown men who are trying to get to the big contracts.
As far as his son goes, I honestly think he will come back for his senior season next year for a couple of reasons:
1) Before this season, he had no NFL prospects as he was dismissed as an HBCU qb who hadnt played big time college foootball. Now after a couple of games, people are talking about possibly late first round if he can keep up the pace. He comes back for the next season with greater exposure, I dont see why he cant be a top 5 pick in next years draft, or even number 1, depending on what he does and how other QBs perform. It's definitely not out of the question for him.
2) Travis Hunter is a sophomore so will be back next year. Shedeur could put up monster stats with that guy to throw to.
3) His family is obviously rich so he doesnt have that pressure to come out early, plus apparently he's making millions in NIL money now.

I saw something online where some talking heads were talking about Alabama's loss to Texas, suggesting that maybe Saban might be on the way out. I would say no. Saban has built up enough goodwill with all his success that he would have to have 4 or 5 losing seasons in a row for anyone to even hint about him leaving. I think the job's his till he decides to retire. I'm not totally surprised that his team isnt doing as well this year. Even Alabama would struggle to find another Bryce Young just waiting to go. Though I am surprised at how bad the rest of the team was as well. It's almost as if he just decided to quit recruiting for the couple of years Young was around to carry the team.

So no to Alabama. I dont think Ohio State would move on from Day right now. He's had some success there. Oklahoma is one to keep an eye on if Venables struggles the next two seasons. I think he will get some grace since Riley left and took almost all the talent with him (I would REALLY like to know how Sooner fans feel everytime they see Caleb Williams Heisman articles. I know I would feel sick).

I think in his heart of hearts, Prime would have wanted to go back to Florida State, but Norvell has that job locked up now unless there is some epic collapse this season.
I would have put Texas on the watch list if the team stumbled this year, but with the win over Alabama, it looks like Texas is going to have a really good year so Sarkisian is safe.
An unlikely but interesting team to watch would be Texas A&M. Yes, Jimbo got the massive contract extension but it's been 6 years with not much to show for it. They just lost again. He probably needs a great season soon otherwise the Aggie fan base will start chirping if they havent started already.

I dont follow Florida and LSU enough to know what their situations are.

But all this is speculation until Prime wins either a PAC 12 title this year (highly doubtful) or a BIG 12 title next year (not out of the question).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football