Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times

Advertisements

and I'm a Big XII homer. Perhaps if the Big XII Brass isn't smart enough to take the initiative to add some teams to get back to 12, divisional format, and a Conference Championship Game, maybe the other Power Conf. can force the issue.

I would love to see it happen. Ain't holding my breath though...

Pac-12 commish Larry Scott wants Big 12 to play championship game - CBSSports.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Who do you add? Houston? Memphis? And how much would their AAC buyout be?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
A couple of options:

1) Go back to Nebraska and A&M and beg them to come to the Big XII. Make any concessions they want; just get them back.

2) When the Cornhuskers and Aggies say no, swing for the next fence and go after Notre Dame and BYU.

3) Most likely Notre Dame will turn the Big XII down (probably bound for the ACC or the B1G eventually) so give one more hard sell to Arkansas and when they say no go with either BYU/Cincy or BYU/Colorado St. or BYU/UCF or BYU/Memphis or BYU/Houston.

#1 is ideal.
#2 would be steal.
#3 would be just keeping the ship from sinking.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:15 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

I say Houston and UNT

Yes, I am half arse kidding about UNT. However, UNT has been practically on their knees for over 25 years wanting to run with the big dogs. I say, let'em. Heck, it might even help turn their program around and get more students and alums interested in football.

Houston would be a good matchup. Being it is in state and the only school in that area thta would be in the conference, would be nice. Could get a good rivalry going with another team in the conference.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:21 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Nebraska ain't coming back. TAMU ain't coming back. Arkansas ain't coming. Houston and Memphis are possibilities. ND ain't coming. BYU? meh. Oh! I almost forgot: Missouri ain't coming back. Texas screwed the Big 12 and I would just as soon see OU go to a another conference. Would have loved to see them in the SEC but SEC didn't want OSU and 'that was that' as they say.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
A couple of options:

1) Go back to Nebraska and A&M and beg them to come to the Big XII. Make any concessions they want; just get them back.

2) When the Cornhuskers and Aggies say no, swing for the next fence and go after Notre Dame and BYU.

3) Most likely Notre Dame will turn the Big XII down (probably bound for the ACC or the B1G eventually) so give one more hard sell to Arkansas and when they say no go with either BYU/Cincy or BYU/Colorado St. or BYU/UCF or BYU/Memphis or BYU/Houston.

#1 is ideal.
#2 would be steal.
#3 would be just keeping the ship from sinking.

#2 - Huskers ok, but A$M? NO FREAKIN" WAY!!!!

The Aggies ran off in the most disgusting manner - took the departure cash from the other schools that left the Big 12 the year before THEY did - and A$M was in discussions with the SEC at the time they took it.
Then the Aggies put blame on the Longhorn Network - which UT had asked them to join previously, but turned the hated "sips" down.

Sorry, but if they can't live up to their own code of not stealing & being honest, I have no use for them.

Besides, they can just stew being mediocre in the SEC just like they were in the Big 12 & SWC. Their program is in the midst of a dumpster fire anyway.

ND, BYU, Memphis.... ok.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:11 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
At some point I would think one of BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, and someone else, makes the jump into the Power 5.

Cincinnati would make sense for the Big 12 considering West Virginia is already a conference member. Colorado State could be another possibility.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
I say Houston and UNT

Yes, I am half arse kidding about UNT. However, UNT has been practically on their knees for over 25 years wanting to run with the big dogs. I say, let'em. Heck, it might even help turn their program around and get more students and alums interested in football.

Houston would be a good matchup. Being it is in state and the only school in that area thta would be in the conference, would be nice. Could get a good rivalry going with another team in the conference.
Heh. UNT had a nice stretch of bowl games in the Sun Belt under Darrell Dickey. Maybe they will catch that lightning in a bottle again and having a new stadium rather than rickety Fouts Field to play in could only help matters. But, they need to graduate from CUSA first.

Big 12 won't want Houston because they add nothing to the conference. Houston already has a bunch of TVs tuned to Big 12 and SEC, so that won't help.

IMHO, I'd be trying to get in on the next Pac-12 expansion if I was Houston. They definitely need a new market to reach and the roadies are way better than most of the landing spots in the Big 12. LA, Phoenix, Seattle or...Stillwater, Ames and Waco? Exactly. Easy flights to what are mostly big markets, so travel not such a big deal for the athletes.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
#2 - Huskers ok, but A$M? NO FREAKIN" WAY!!!!

The Aggies ran off in the most disgusting manner - took the departure cash from the other schools that left the Big 12 the year before THEY did - and A$M was in discussions with the SEC at the time they took it.
Then the Aggies put blame on the Longhorn Network - which UT had asked them to join previously, but turned the hated "sips" down.

Sorry, but if they can't live up to their own code of not stealing & being honest, I have no use for them.

Besides, they can just stew being mediocre in the SEC just like they were in the Big 12 & SWC. Their program is in the midst of a dumpster fire anyway.

ND, BYU, Memphis.... ok.
Yes, the Aggies are tough to deal with, but for what it's worth, so are the Horns! It's what Texans do.

I understand your sour stance towards A&M. They're not very likeable. But they could keep our conference afloat. They're not going to be successful in the SEC West and the Big XII needs to stay together.....for good. We need some legitimate programs with large fanbases back in the conference. Nebraska and A&M move the needle.

I know we probably won't get them, but it looks like we need them and they need us too. Heck, Nebraska has been less than a shell of its former self since it cut off it's recruiting base in Texas. Not smart and the results bear that out.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Heh. UNT had a nice stretch of bowl games in the Sun Belt under Darrell Dickey. Maybe they will catch that lightning in a bottle again and having a new stadium rather than rickety Fouts Field to play in could only help matters. But, they need to graduate from CUSA first.

Big 12 won't want Houston because they add nothing to the conference. Houston already has a bunch of TVs tuned to Big 12 and SEC, so that won't help.

IMHO, I'd be trying to get in on the next Pac-12 expansion if I was Houston. They definitely need a new market to reach and the roadies are way better than most of the landing spots in the Big 12. LA, Phoenix, Seattle or...Stillwater, Ames and Waco? Exactly. Easy flights to what are mostly big markets, so travel not such a big deal for the athletes.
Most likely the Fighting Mormons and some combination of Cincy, Colorado St., Memphis, or UCF will seal the deal. Word on the street around here in Oklahoma is that Joe C (OU AD) likes Houston, but I think it would be a tough sell since the Texas schools and Oklahoma St., in particular, utilize Houston as a fertile recruiting bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football