Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Youth football participation in California is undergoing a significant decline, in large part because of concern about head injuries. Between 2011-12 and 2017-18, participation decreased by a net 11%. That's just a 6 year trend; extrapolate from that and we may see the end of College football within a generation.

https://calmatters.org/articles/cali...ipation-drops/

Good news for other sports, I'd imagine.
The same pattern has happened in rural Arizona. Back in the 80s the football teams typically had over 50 players and often had to have two buses to get to the game field. In recent years player participation has dropped tremendously. I understand now that some teams can't field enough to scrimmage. It's becoming like 8-player football.

I studied medical imaging and wouldn't want a child to play football. Looking back, I recall signs of early CTE in some teammates with bizarre mood swings. I used to think it was just hyper-emotional, dysfunctional teen angst - an adolescent temper tantrum followed by depression. But now it seems like it was early CTE for some of those guys. They took a lot of hits. Concussions were common. But the culture of the time was that a player was not supposed to admit weakness, and coaches expected that. So, CTE was usually not addressed. But now it's in the spotlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Makes me wonder if Rugby and Australian Rules Football players have the same issue?

Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM

15,844 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Results so far have mixed, with one confirmed case:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5926651/

I suspect though that the form of rugby tackling will prove at least somewhat safer. But it needs to be taught at an early age and pervade the sport. I think they also need to redesign the Football helmet, perhaps putting padding on the outside as well.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Padding on the outside of the helmet seems to be a very good idea to lessen the the sharp shock of helmet-to-helmet blows.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:46 PM

I'm curious to see what will happen with the California legislature passing the Fair Pay to Play act. It seems unfair of the NCAA to ban California schools from post season bowl games over the law.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/.../#14fce0015ab1

I suppose the schools can always decide not to sell player representations though.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:26 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
One for the ages tonight on the Palouse. UCLA comes back from a 32 point deficit to beat Washington State in an upset. Total points scored 130!!! Wow!

Also, note the Pac-12 has six teams in the top25 right now! (though WSU will likely drop a few)

Old 09-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Yeah, an all-time epic "Coug-ed it". All the red faces up in the Palouse aren't just from the cold. I wonder if Coach Mike Leach had any savory comments for the Press in the aftermath?

Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Looking forward to the USC match this Saturday. The UW hasn't played them in several years and it's almost always a battle. There's even some mild rain in the forecast, although the temperature is expected to be pretty mild.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:10 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Nice win for U-Dub today over USC. Offense was on time and on target. I am liking Eason more and more.

WSU now with two conference losses with their lackluster loss at Utah. Whoops! You'd think Leach would get the team motivated after the disaster in Pullman last week. But no. I'm beginning to question Leach's leadership. But will give him the benefit of the doubt for now... one more conference loss will bring up some big questions.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:04 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Nice win for U-Dub today over USC. Offense was on time and on target. I am liking Eason more and more.

WSU now with two conference losses with their lackluster loss at Utah. Whoops! You'd think Leach would get the team motivated after the disaster in Pullman last week. But no. I'm beginning to question Leach's leadership. But will give him the benefit of the doubt for now... one more conference loss will bring up some big questions.
Kind of feel bad for U-Dub and the freak rain delay thing now. I realize both teams have to endure it but Washington looks to be a far superior team than Cal.

As far as Leach is concerned. It's weird. We had him at Oklahoma for the 1999 season. He was fresh and funny. 20 years later he seems like he is turning into a cynical old curmudgeon.

But in his defense, Minshew was apparently a lot better than anybody even realized. Probably more of a drop off to this year than would be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football