Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 03:05 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
That was ugly. Utah's actual power level was definitely exposed. I agree that this doesn't improve the Pac's standing as to being a power conference.

Whatever happened to the days when USC was always in the hunt for a national title? Many of the other teams in the old Pac-10 like Stanford and Washington were stronger then too.

I was rooting for the Utes too. Would have been fun to get some team outside of the usual suspects in the top 4 playoff.

Right now, I see either Baylor or Oklahoma sneaking into the 4th spot of the playoffs.
These things run in cycles. The Pac-12 will be back. USC dominated much of the 70s and early 80s then went stale in the 90s. They lost to Notre Dame for about 8 or 9 straight years. It became a mismatch. Then suddenly USC sprang back to life in the early to mid 2000s then faded again. Meanwhile, ASU actually almost won the national championship in 1996-1997 when they had Jake Plummer and (the now deceased) Pat Tillman. Oregon was in the CFP not too long ago.

The Pac-12 will likely send a legitimate contender within the next 3-5 years. Meanwhile, the current high profile teams could go through a slump by then. Alabama was dormant for much of the 80s. They won a championship in the early 90s (with a young Dabo Swinney playing on the team) but were down for about another decade until Saban came in. As for Clemson, they were known for choking in big games for years - particularly against FSU which dominated much of the 90s. Miami dominated the 80s and early 2000s but has been down since. The Pac-12 should have a contender soon given the law of averages. I still remember when Colorado won the championship by surprise in the early 90s. I'll bet a lot of people don't even know that had happened - lol.

The "Conference of Champions" will be back and dominate football again just as they have in other sports all along (hence the name as perpetually reminded by Bill Walton at those Pac-12 basketball games).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 05:37 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I see the Pac-12 is back to cooking the books on the Football schedule again. Once more the UW Huskies get their break before facing a mid-level or weaker team (Oregon State), while Oregon gets their break before facing the Huskies. This sort of thing happens so often it's not even funny any more. Any other teams in the Pac-12 get treated like this?

Old 08-02-2020, 12:59 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I see the Pac-12 is back to cooking the books on the Football schedule again. Once more the UW Huskies get their break before facing a mid-level or weaker team (Oregon State), while Oregon gets their break before facing the Huskies. This sort of thing happens so often it's not even funny any more. Any other teams in the Pac-12 get treated like this?
A bye before a tough game is good, right? So, in essence Oregon does have the advantage over Washington, I suppose. However, things are going to be so out of kilter this year (if they even play), I don't think it would matter much.

I would bet it is about 60-40 that the season will be canceled.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A bye before a tough game is good, right? So, in essence Oregon does have the advantage over Washington, I suppose. However, things are going to be so out of kilter this year (if they even play), I don't think it would matter much.

I would bet it is about 60-40 that the season will be canceled.
Well it appears I lost that bet!

https://www.nfl.com/news/pac-12-anno...D19%20pandemic.

A 7-game schedule. Likely this is all about revenue, but the fact that the Big-10 is back as of last week is contributing.

The usual suspects will probably be the favorites....Oregon, USC, Stanford, Washington, Utah, in no particular order. But good to see they will be back.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:53 PM

Wow, this season goes on in the Pac-12, but barely. Cancellations seem to be common, but looks like USC, Oregon, and maybe Washington may be the strongest teams. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, with some teams having different number of total games. How to choose a champion with that factor will be challenging. Just like everything about 2020, I guess.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:41 AM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
Quote:
Wow, this season goes on in the Pac-12, but barely. Cancellations seem to be common, but looks like USC, Oregon, and maybe Washington may be the strongest teams. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, with some teams having different number of total games. How to choose a champion with that factor will be challenging. Just like everything about 2020, I guess.
Sure looks like Oregon and USC. UCLA didn't turn in a bad effort either. They just made a few mistakes that cost them.

Utah looked not great last night. I don't know what to make of the Bay Area or AZ schools. Cal SHOULD have beaten OR State.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:26 PM

WA WSU game cancelled due to covid. IMO the Pac 12 season is now meaningless. What a mess. Let’s just hope for a clean restart in 2021. I think there is a chance the P12 may cancel the rest of the season at this point, but tv contracts may prevent that.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
WA WSU game cancelled due to covid. IMO the Pac 12 season is now meaningless. What a mess. Let’s just hope for a clean restart in 2021. I think there is a chance the P12 may cancel the rest of the season at this point, but tv contracts may prevent that.
Terrible! That is one of my favorite Thanksgiving weekend games to watch...

Old 11-23-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Terrible! That is one of my favorite Thanksgiving weekend games to watch...
If they continue the season there will be a huge asterisk *. There will be no Pac-12 champion this year. Just opinions on who played better, which means nothing.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
If they continue the season there will be a huge asterisk *. There will be no Pac-12 champion this year. Just opinions on who played better, which means nothing.
Right. I don't get how there can even be a Playoff. How can people compare a team that plays three games to one that plays 11, especially if the three game team had all it's challenging games canceled? It's hardly their fault. Just call it all off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football