Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:16 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Congrats to the Gophers on their 17-12 Holiday Bowl win! The defense rose to the occasion. Meanwhile, I heard about the petition to dismiss Coach Claeys. While the WSU Cougars lost, the biggest losers were those naysayers so reflexively quick to condemn an entire team and coach for the alleged actions of ten players even though no charges were filed. Those ten players were not allowed to play in the bowl game last I checked.

Sure, Coach Claeys spoke too soon in support of the two day boycott by the players, but I forgive him. He made a mistake. Going forward, he should have a discussion with President Kaler and the regents so everyone can be on the same page should something like this happen again. There is a strong bond that usually develops between coaches and players at the end of a season. Coach Claeys should apologize for speaking too soon and be given the opportunity to improve going forward. A third football coach in less than three years is a major adjustment and there is no guarantee he will not react similar to Claeys regarding the team. They should only change coaches if they objectively find one that will improve the team's future performance even more. I doubt they will make a change after a 9-4 season ending with a bowl victory.

Does anyone remember how millions of Americans forgave our next President Trump for saying a decade ago it is perfectly OK to grab a women by the crotch if you are famous? Or in the last several months attacked a judge for being Mexican, cruelly mocked a disabled person, and various other attacks on women and almost everyone who was not a white conservative male except Ryan, Romney and McCain. Twitter rant against a former Ms. Universe at 3 AM. Has Claeys done anything nearly as reprehensible? No. Lol.

Those criticizing Trump for those things were sometimes called PC and "we are not electing a minister". Well, if the standards have been severely lowered for our President, I am certainly not in favor of dismissing a football coach whose team just went 9-4 after FAR LESS controversial remarks. No comparison. All that is needed is an improvement in protocol and response in these situations going forward. Make the necessary changes. I am fine with a review of the investigation. Further disciplinary action against the ten players extending into the early part of the 2017 season can be considered. Almost everyone involved should have waited for more information and for emotions to calm before making rash statements. Making Claeys the "fall guy" solves nothing.

Let's put the pitchforks down and not emotionally over-react when we just gave the next President carte blanche to do and say whatever he pleases (and same was basically true of Clinton with her email recklessness and "bullets flying over her head" lies when no such thing happened, deplorables remark, Wasserman Schultz corruption covered up until it was exposed just before the DNC).

A President should be held to a higher standard than a football coach. In this instance, the reverse appears to be true for the time being at least.
As a Syracuse alum, we also had a situation with Jim Boeheim, where he called Bernie Fine's molestation accusers "liars". The school didn't fire him. Boeheim was just 1) sticking up for a friend, and 2) relaying the findings of the initial university hearing, where witnesses the accusers said would corroborate their stories, in actuality, said the opposite! However, a "no comment, until investigation finished" protocol had to be established from that point on, and I guess Minnesota and Claeys is realizing this, as well.....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
see ya!

Minnesota Golden Gophers fire Tracy Claeys after his response to players' boycott

imagine the list of willing candidates will make this search interesting

Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
see ya!

Minnesota Golden Gophers fire Tracy Claeys after his response to players' boycott

imagine the list of willing candidates will make this search interesting
They should have went after Mike Leach right after he got fired from Texas Tech.

I believe the main reason Tracy Claeys got the job is because the players liked him.
Ironic, that in the end, siding with the players is what got him fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football