Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will you pick?
Alabama 12 57.14%
Clemson 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:34 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,395,381 times

Advertisements

The CFB Playoff National Championship Game is Monday, January 9 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. I am going to take Alabama to win the title. Nick Saban, hands down, is one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. He's won 5 national championship titles which is why I am picking Alabama to win the National Championship Game.

BTW, Saban might make the college football hall of fame and he should be because of how successful he's done as a college coach.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-02-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 PM

455 posts, read 652,121 times
Deshaun Watson - enough said...

Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 AM

578 posts, read 458,916 times
Sorry but bama escaped clemson this year,clemson wants revenge and they have deshaun watson(who should have won heisman) plus bama has problems stopping mobile qbs.

Clemson will win but its gonna be VERY tough match

Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,805,365 times
#1 Alabama all the way!

It's just another day on the football field... Roll on Tide to #17!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
This game, imo, is a lot like Ali-Foreman. You've got the technician/magician pitted against the bruiser.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:52 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
All depends on the defenses..

Clemson had Alabama's defense on its heels the entire game last year and towards the end, had their tongues hanging out. I don't think that anyone can argue that a surprise onside kick was the difference in that game.

I'd be surprised if anyone is expecting the Over (Last I saw 54 points was the over/under).. Clemson's defense can step up quite a bit, especially against the run.. While their pass defense tends to suck pretty bad at times. I get ticked off every time they wind up with a pass interference where they didn't even turn around to make a play on the ball. And it happens quite a bit.. But.. You also look at it as it's better to give up the 15 yards than an 80 yard TD.

The inexperience of Alabama's offense is the lynchpin here, IMO. Alabama's defense, especially early on, will settle in and make some stops.. But unless Alabama's offense can really step up.. I don't see them putting more than 14 points on the board. Assume the defense contributes a score.. I still think Clemson can put more points up. 24-21 or somewhere in that range is my expectation.

I do think it's an advantage to Alabama that Kiffin won't be OC. That's why I'm thinking the offense gets 14 points.

And... Every loss and/or close game Alabama has had the past 3 years or so has been against a very mobile QB.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
All depends on the defenses..

Clemson had Alabama's defense on its heels the entire game last year and towards the end, had their tongues hanging out. I don't think that anyone can argue that a surprise onside kick was the difference in that game.

I'd be surprised if anyone is expecting the Over (Last I saw 54 points was the over/under).. Clemson's defense can step up quite a bit, especially against the run.. While their pass defense tends to suck pretty bad at times. I get ticked off every time they wind up with a pass interference where they didn't even turn around to make a play on the ball. And it happens quite a bit.. But.. You also look at it as it's better to give up the 15 yards than an 80 yard TD.

The inexperience of Alabama's offense is the lynchpin here, IMO. Alabama's defense, especially early on, will settle in and make some stops.. But unless Alabama's offense can really step up.. I don't see them putting more than 14 points on the board. Assume the defense contributes a score.. I still think Clemson can put more points up. 24-21 or somewhere in that range is my expectation.

I do think it's an advantage to Alabama that Kiffin won't be OC. That's why I'm thinking the offense gets 14 points.
Agreed.

I think the key for Alabama will be to get their defense off the field early (no easy task). If they can get Watson off the field, and pound away with their running game, then they'll be in a good position to win. Bama will need to stay on schedule in the run game and keep the down and distance manageable. If Clemson LB's start shooting gaps and hitting them for losses, or if Hurts is getting sacked, they are going to be in for a long night.

I think the danger for Alabama this year compared to last year is their lack of depth on the defensive front. If Clemson is able to establish any type of rhythm, and trap Bama's D on the field on extended drives, then their chances of success plummet. On the flipside, Clemson's defensive line appears to not only be fierce, but also deep.

Bama's defense needs to be special, as usual. They don't have anything close to the offensive firepower to throw down with Clemson like they did in '16.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 31,643 times
It was earlier in the season, but Chad Kelly lit up this Alabama defense and put up 43 points on them. With Chad Kelly at QB, Ole Miss has always played Bama tough. Even if Deshawn Watson plays a little worse than Kelly, the Clemson defense is definately better than the Ole Miss defense. We saw Clemsons full defensive potential on New Year's Eve

Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 AM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
some of you look at a few impressive wins Clemson may have had this year .. i look at their near misses .. how did they look in a 6 point win over auburn ? or a 6 point win over mighty troy ..and an equally impressive 6 point squeaking by of a not really good Louisville team with an overrated QB ..or that loss they should have gotten if the NC state guy could have made a 30 yard field goal .. how did they look beating Florida State by three ? where was this stellar defense against mighty Pitt ?.. yeah !! they looked good against several really bad teams but not so much against stiff competition .. do you know who played as Deshawn Watson in every bama practice leading up to last years game ? it was Jalen Hurts .. some of you say Clemson won the game last year just not the score .. i say they played way over their heads ..

Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
some of you look at a few impressive wins Clemson may have had this year .. i look at their near misses .. how did they look in a 6 point win over auburn ? or a 6 point win over mighty troy ..and an equally impressive 6 point squeaking by of a not really good Louisville team with an overrated QB ..or that loss they should have gotten if the NC state guy could have made a 30 yard field goal .. how did they look beating Florida State by three ? where was this stellar defense against mighty Pitt ?.. yeah !! they looked good against several really bad teams but not so much against stiff competition .. do you know who played as Deshawn Watson in every bama practice leading up to last years game ? it was Jalen Hurts .. some of you say Clemson won the game last year just not the score .. i say they played way over their heads ..
..........."of a not really good Louisville team "....

You seem to forget that Louisville was the " darling " of many sports commentators and they believed Louisville was going to make the 4 team championship.

(Just ask Chris Fowler )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football