Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Pros of the College Football

1. Every game matters. An 11-1 season could potentially keep a team out of the Playoff so there's more attention on upsets from week to week. In the NFL, there's really not much of a concept of an "upset" during the regular season with Any Given Sunday and all. A team like the '11 Giants can go 9-7, including a couple of losses to the lowly Redskins, and then go on to win it all. The NFL regular season is not the high stakes game that the college football season is.

2. There's more experimentation in college because there has to be. Few programs can line up against Alabama and run conventional plays with any success, so offensive coordinators are forced to think outside of the box a lot more.

3. College has more tradition. The stadiums seem louder on TV but that could be a figment of my imagination. But college football stadiums are often larger than NFL stadiums so I might be on target with this assessment. Road games in college overall seem much tougher.

Cons of College Football

1. Some fans pretend that the players aren't there to make it to the NFL and get paid. It's pretty much the same business as the NFL only the players aren't compensated.

2. Too many cupcake games. Each NFL game in theory is competitive. College football games are often not competitive in theory or in reality. The 77-0 curb stompings against Small State U should not be allowed to happen. Either schedule more competitive games or reduce the number of games overall.

3. Playoff selections involve too much subjectivity. The NFL has straightforward rules: win your division or win the wildcard and you're in. Your team didn't make it? Well, they should have won more. They knew the rules going in and failed. The rules aren't well-established in college football. It basically comes down to whatever the selection committee thinks matters that year. Even if we try to look at past years to try to tease out a pattern, we're still speculating why the Committee made certain decisions, which means there's no clarity on how to get in. This is only a marginal improvement over the BCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
I have no major beef with the NFL other than how the National Anthem should be presented. I'd rather have a military band or group perform it. When sung correctly, military personnel actually know the correct words and at the proper speed to sing it in!

I'd rather they stop bringing in every Tom, Dick & Harriet reject from American Idol, and then expect us to suffer through their slower-than-cold-molasses yodeling and screeching as they attempt to impress us with their so-called "beautiful voices". Enough of that!

College football is excellent, but better than the NFL? Not really.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:39 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
College football games are longer because they usually have more scoring, and every time a team gets a first down the clock is stopped until the chains are reset...

Still, no college players kneel, and as someone previous said, every game counts.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
College football more fun and wacky with more heart and risk taking.

Just more entertaining.

Between the students, the tradition, and the sheer variety of approaches to the game, college is way more entertaining.

Yes, the skill in pro football is much higher. No question about it. The most rock-bottom team in the NFL would hang 70 on Alabama. However, in the end, it's kind of like watching IBM spar with General Motors.

But the other reason why college football is so much more fun? Outside of Alaska, there's not a place in the country that doesn't have a rooting interest within a couple of hours of where they live. What's more, the tickets aren't so expensive that I'd need to have them willed to me.

So your average Joe can haul his family to see a game every once in a while. See the marching band. Hang out on the campus. Walk through the tailgating. Having been an Auburn fan for 56 years and having been to a lot of NFL games in different cities, I can say that college gameday makes NFL gameday look like a Sunday afternoon tea with the preacher.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I had my first opportunity to watch a SEC college game live and in person. I was shocked how quickly it went compared to commercial laden NFL games. They ran a play and in few seconds they were ready to go again. I am used to pro game dragging things out to squeeze as many commercials in as possible. The 2 things I detest about the pros are showboating and interminable delays. I saw none of either and it was a refreshing change. Growing up a game was 2 hours and now its 3.5. That's 1.5 hours of something. I stopped watching the pros years ago and now I have something much better. Go Gators and SEC
I watch way more college than Pro football. As a UGA fan, SEC games are the best. I always root against your Gators, but I do believe Mullen will make you relevant again.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:58 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Big 12 refereeing sucks big time and is worse than any other conference. Have seen it go against Texas too many times to think some of the zebras have it in for the Horns.

Obviously you haven't discussed this with fans of the other Big XII schools. As a matter of fact, I'm still PO'd about that phantom PI call you guys got in the game in Dallas on your last drive.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Both the pro and college level football games move too slowly in my book. The players spend half the game standing around, and then for some reason they're "tired" at the end. At any rate, of the two I prefer watching a college game unless it involves the local pro team. College ball has a lot more variety in styles and it's fun watching the kids enjoy the match.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I've always preferred college football. I struggle to watch NFL games a lot of the time, but I have never been sure as to why

Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
College has very enthusiastic fans (all ages), complete with crazy student sections and cool marching bands.

NFL has more crazy older beer-soaked freako fans decked out in ridiculous costumes!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
I think another "pro" of the college game is the higher scoring. Shootouts tend to be relatively rare in the pros.

Another great thing about college is the varying styles of play by conference. Sure, the NFL has the "West Coast offense" but this was never really that strongly tied to geography. In college, the conferences have much more of an individual identity than NFL divisions do.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ffenses-styles

I've also always felt that the college game has more prestige than the NFL. Even though college has some very stupid sounding bowl names, the Rose Bowl and the Tournament of Roses parade that precedes it always seemed a classier affair than the "Super" Bowl, where most casual viewers care more about the new Doritos commercial and Justin Timberlake performance than they do the game.

The NFL, overall, seems kinda trashy and a bit over the top with the patriotism. Every NFL game feels like it's Veterans' or Memorial Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football