Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times

Advertisements

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...ball-ryan-day/

Honestly did not see this coming, to tell you the truth. Can't help but wonder if Purdue broke him...i guess there's more to his health than originally thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 10:16 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times
He'll probably wind up being an advisor on the Alabama staff a la Butch Jones.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
I am hearing USC after one year off.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
No, he's done. If he is leaving Ohio State then he's done.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
He's staying in Columbus, where his 2 daughters and one grandchild live. His son is playing baseball at the University of Cincinnati just 2 hours away. Time for him to relax and enjoy life.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:03 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,788,855 times
A few weeks ago I was listening to the sports commentators during a game, his health needs to be a priority. He had surgery on his brain due to a cyst but sounded like he needed to take it easy.
I liked Urban Meyer and thought he was a great coach for the Buckeyes.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Reports that I've heard from Columbus is that this brain cyst, which apparently is inoperable, has limited Meyer's physical abilities to even coach; one person said that sometimes he couldn't even shout during practices. Meyer said that his coaching days are over, but many commentators don't believe him.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/1...esmerises.html

Here's a transcript of the press conference.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/1...they-said.html

Nobody would want a debilitating arachnoid brain cyst. However, perhaps there is a surgical solution, as discussed in the later paragraphs of the following article. If Meyer does find a surgical solution, it's possible that in a few years he might return to the coaching game, especially if Ryan Day falters opening up the Ohio State head coaching job once again.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2018/12/...an-end-career/

Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...ball-ryan-day/

Honestly did not see this coming, to tell you the truth. Can't help but wonder if Purdue broke him...i guess there's more to his health than originally thought.

I'm cynical.. So, I can't help but believe that this is part of a deal worked out over the domestic situation with his coach earlier in the year. He is suspended 3 games and resigns at the end of the year and they don't fire him and don't have to pay whatever is left on his contract..

So, I also expect to see him take another job after a year off.

as I said.. I know I'm cynical. So you don't have to point it out. But.. That's what I suspect here.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Firstly, Urban Meyer is a great coach. He has always been able to adapt to the talent he has, and runs a great system.
He is a terrific recruiter, and has been a winner everywhere he has been.
Recruiting is a very strenuous process and is very tiring. Coach Meyer has made mistakes on the kids he has recruited....his teams at Florida always had a significant number of his players get into trouble. Having lived in Florida at the time he was at UF, I know he had a lot of explaining to do after those arrests, and that certainly took a physical and emotional toll on him.

Combined with his poor judgment on the recent domestic violence incident at OSU, the total effect of all these controversies combined with his health problems is probably too much for him to continue coaching.

He did a pretty good job as a studio host with espn, and maybe a return to tv would be a good option for him. He has a beautiful family, and I would caution him about getting back into coaching unless he gets total clearance from his physicians.

Cool it coach, and either relax for a few year or go into tv....don't risk a deterioration of your health.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
This has all the makings of him going to USC next year after Clay Helton inevitably flops again in 2019.

Remember he did the same. exact. thing in Florida pretty much (cited the heart attack or heart problem or chest problem, sat out and did TV for a couple years) and than when the Ohio State job opened up due to tattoo gate, voila! All of a sudden his "health" problems seemed to have vanished! Maybe this time it's different and he's retiring for good, but if you do something once odds are you'll do it again. And he's not even that old either, I think only 55 or so. If he was older in his 60's I could see "yah he's done for real, he's going to enjoy time with his grand kids, see them grow up, relax, spend time with the wife & family, go on vacations that aren't recruiting trips" but at 55 he's still got a good 5-10 years at least left in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football