Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:56 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

If they do play, it will be in front of empty stadiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 01:18 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
I don't see it happening this year. Even if they get the season started, when a player gets sick, his whole team will be quarentined for 2 weeks. There will be a lot of cancelled games. The first time a player gets significantly sick/hospitalized/has permanent lung damage, the whole season will be cancelled.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am huge sports fan. NFL, NBA, MLB and even more so for college football and basketball. I long for the day when team sports are again all over my TV.

I am watching the NBA and MLB try to restart. It seems pretty simple, play in facilities closed off from the outside world without fans. Seems like a good plan as long as they can keep everyone from sneaking out from time to time. Yet the date for starting keeps getting pushed farther out. Now its July 31st. And these players have a huge financial incentive to get back to work.

So on to college football. What is going to happen? You can't close off what are suppose to be college students for a season. So what happens when a player or staff tests positive? The whole team goes into quarantine for 2 weeks as well as their most recent opponent? Referees also? Then both teams have to postpone their next two games. And this sort of scenario will play out over and over. Teams have to travel, stay in hotels, etc. The likelihood of everyone doing the right thing all the time and then being lucky is not going to happen, sorry.

Or are then going to just quarantine the one player and keep playing? They cannot do that and others may not want to play them and refuse. Look at the NBA. One player got it and the league shut down. At the time I thought it was an over reaction but since then I get it. There was no way they could keep the season going as it was.

30 members of the UCLA football team singed a statement today demanding certain safeguards be in place. I could see this spreading all around the college football world.

I want college sports to come back this year. But I don't see any way of that happening. Am I missing something? I say zero percent. Only way it would have happened is if covid-19 cases in the US were dropping to near zero. Instead the numbers are trending up overall and way up in many states.

The players that are legit NFL prospects could audition for the NFL. Plus many are sure bets due to how they have played the past seasons. What I am saying if this season or perhaps next does not happen the process of making it to the NFL could continue.

Professional sports will happen. Even if its shortened seasons the major sports can play this year. But I do not see any way of team college sports like football and basketball to happen. Unless the virus quickly goes away. And that is looking increasingly unlikely.

If I am missing something obvious, please opine.
The scenario you pointed out is how infections spread realistically in sports. Even an outdoor basketball court in rural Arizona with a few teens is potentially "contagious" because of the sheer nature of the game. Asymptomatic teens could spread it unknowingly to older relatives or other teens, then the local ICUs quickly use up ventillators, etc. Then lockdowns occur, the outdoor court is closed, etc. And that's just for a small rural community. If you extrapolate that to a large, dense urban area with a college campus, the odds go that much higher. It doesn't seem realistic to have team sports this fall since the curve is no longer flattening but growing exponentially for the short-term. But perhaps in 2021 things will get back to normal if a vaccine is found which is the most realistic way to bring sports back without having to worry about that damn virus.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
A. I dont see a vacine being available soon, maybe never. Virus's mutate and change. Notice the is still no AID's vacine.

B. As long as people are convinced that generally healthy adults and children believe they are seriously threatened by this disease, I dont see sports returning big time. School either.
That is not the issue. Its generally healthy adults giving to those who are not healthy. And 20% of those people who get it get seriously ill from the virus or die.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-01-2020 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I don't see it happening this year. Even if they get the season started, when a player gets sick, his whole team will be quarentined for 2 weeks. There will be a lot of cancelled games. The first time a player gets significantly sick/hospitalized/has permanent lung damage, the whole season will be cancelled.
Its not just the players but coaching and support staff and the refs. Plus family members of any of them. Its endless landmines to navigate.

The only way is the NCAA says we know some people might get ill or die by playing college football this year and we accept that reality.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is not the issue. Its generally healthy adults giving to those who are not healthy. And 20% of those people who get it who get seriously ill from the virus or die.

Honest to God, I don't understand how people of otherwise normal intelligence can't get this.

I mean, the elderly, people undergoing chemotherapy, people with respiratory issues, the list goes on and on.

My guess? If it doesn't personally affect them, they just don't give a rip.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Honest to God, I don't understand how people of otherwise normal intelligence can't get this.

I mean, the elderly, people undergoing chemotherapy, people with respiratory issues, the list goes on and on.

My guess? If it doesn't personally affect them, they just don't give a rip.

And that is why we are in this mess and instead of getting back to some normalcy we are having to double down to fight it.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:32 AM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
Lately we have taken the "thinning the herd" approach so I say yes seasons will occur.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
Lately we have taken the "thinning the herd" approach so I say yes seasons will occur.
Where is that going on? Seems like the virus cases are growing in almost every state and states with SEC schools doing among the worst. And many of those state are re closing businesses and mandating masks.

I would like there to be a college football season but each day it appears less likely. This story highlights the problem:

Kansas stops voluntary workouts after 12 football players test positive for COVID-19

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-stop...165619701.html

Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 AM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
The Ivy League canceled all sports for the fall. Seasons could be played starting in January 2021:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...virus-pandemic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football