Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2022, 05:11 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

https://sports.yahoo.com/se-cs-choke...001608263.html

This writer whines about SEC dominance, then suggests the rules change, so others can compete with the SEC. What a cry baby.

He wants to expand the playoffs to more teams, and thinks that will help the rest rise up to the SEC's level.

I doubt it would work, & it could backfire. More SEC teams might make the playoffs, and further distance the SEC from the rest.

This was a down year for the SEC, so maybe that is the start of a trend? The rest seem to be gaining as it is now.

Yes, the SEC has won the last 3 National Championships, and 12 of the last 15, but this year, aside from Georgia and Alabama, there wasn't nearly as much depth as in years past. In Bowl games the SEC went just 5-7.

We have the regular season, conference games, & conference championships, to seperate the great, the grand, from the also ran, so how would having another layer change anything?

Does he want to eliminate conference championships and bowl games? How much would that cost teams?

This reminds me of the trend in youth sports where everyone gets a trophy.

The rules are the same for everybody right now to make the final 4, so why is it unjust?

If you want your team to make the playoffs, just win baby win. Otherwise, stop the whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 08:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://sports.yahoo.com/se-cs-choke...001608263.html

This writer whines about SEC dominance, then suggests the rules change, so others can compete with the SEC. What a cry baby.

He wants to expand the playoffs to more teams, and thinks that will help the rest rise up to the SEC's level.

I doubt it would work, & it could backfire. More SEC teams might make the playoffs, and further distance the SEC from the rest.

This was a down year for the SEC, so maybe that is the start of a trend? The rest seem to be gaining as it is now.

Yes, the SEC has won the last 3 National Championships, and 12 of the last 15, but this year, aside from Georgia and Alabama, there wasn't nearly as much depth as in years past. In Bowl games the SEC went just 5-7.

We have the regular season, conference games, & conference championships, to seperate the great, the grand, from the also ran, so how would having another layer change anything?

Does he want to eliminate conference championships and bowl games? How much would that cost teams?

This reminds me of the trend in youth sports where everyone gets a trophy.

The rules are the same for everybody right now to make the final 4, so why is it unjust?

If you want your team to make the playoffs, just win baby win. Otherwise, stop the whining.
This is has always been my conclusion with regards to playoff expansion that it would not really lift up any programs necessarily but would instead simply allow a 3rd and or 4th SEC team in.

I'd still be in favor of a FBS (D1-A) split. With the exception of what happened with UC this past season there is never going to come a time and place where Akron or Marshall or Fresno State or Wyoming are going to have a legitimate shot at the national title. Expansion or not. Those programs would be better off in a separate classification, sponsored by the NCAA just like FCS, D2 and D3 are and have a real 16-32 team playoff, absence the bowls. The PROBLEM with my idea is the presidents and AD's will never give up a chance to play in a bowl game in front of a few hundred people that gets them millions in TV dollars.

As a University of Toledo alum I'd be much more excited each fall if I knew we could compete for a national title albeit at a lesser classification. However, that would absolutely destroy the athletic department financially. Bowl tie ins are what are keeping those programs afloat for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football