Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,782 times

Advertisements

you stand 15 yds back, not 10. being a walk on punter is possible as long as your the best available. ive heard of coaches doing searches on campuses because there kicker was no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM

i would agree that training would be a good idea, but i seriously doubt anyone cares about your 40 as long as you kick the sh$t out of the ball and get the punt off quickly.

i wanted to add that it is an important position, and one of the most important positions on special teams, but the most important has to be the long snapper. does anyone agree?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i would agree that training would be a good idea, but i seriously doubt anyone cares about your 40 as long as you kick the sh$t out of the ball and get the punt off quickly.

i wanted to add that it is an important position, and one of the most important positions on special teams, but the most important has to be the long snapper. does anyone agree?
If you are a good punter and have a good 40 time you may be considered for a place on special teams. It doesn't hurt that you have a good 40 and if there are 2 even punters that 40 time might be the decider.

Although the 40 has nothing todo with punting, its always good to have.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
you stand 15 yds back, not 10. being a walk on punter is possible as long as your the best available. ive heard of coaches doing searches on campuses because there kicker was no good.
You can stand back 10 yards though can't you?

I'm sure I've seen some punters do that.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
You can stand back 10 yards though can't you?

I'm sure I've seen some punters do that.
no it's always 15, the only time it would be less than 15 is when they are inside there own 5 yd line.

also i agree that a good 40 is never bad, i'm just stating it's not important as long as your the best punter, trying out for that position. if your trying to catch a college punt returner and your a punter, your in trouble. a punt returner general will be one of the faster players on a football team.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
no it's always 15, the only time it would be less than 15 is when they are inside there own 5 yd line.

also i agree that a good 40 is never bad, i'm just stating it's not important as long as your the best punter, trying out for that position. if your trying to catch a college punt returner and your a punter, your in trouble. a punt returner general will be one of the faster players on a football team.
Oh never knew that, you know I'd rate myself at tackling a kick returner if I were a punter.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
Im a punter and my 40 is 4.7. I also play wide reciever and corner. Im 6'4 and 160. Im trying hard to put some more meat on my bones. Im strong, i just need more pounds.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
No, I am not in high school. I went to Texas to help my Grandpa build a house, and then joined the Marine Reserves. I am currently going to a Community college in Colorado. I graduated in '05. and would be looking at trying to 'walk-on' for UTex (even if it is for the practise team, I don't mind proving myself) either next fall, or the fall after. I am 6'3'' and 190 lbs. I have never had any punting training, and only recently started doing punt specific workouts. I would love to do something on Defence, but my talent is in the punting.
If you're talented enough, even if you don't make a college team, you could try a walk-on in the pros at some point.

If you've never had any punting training, I'd say that your stats are pretty impressive.

I suggest you give it your all and go for it usmicck; you've got NOTHING to lose and everything to gain.

And btw, THANK YOU for your service in the Marine Corps. Semper Fi from an Army Veteran friend.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 PM

another thing i hadn't thought of before is directional punting. you definately need to learn to put a punt not only in the direction you want it, but sometimes the punt has to land where you want it. a great punter to watch is the punter for the san diego chargers. he has a different technique for landing the ball with backspin. he also kicks the snot out of it when he needs to.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,548 times
well I want to know if I have a shot at making the college team I am planning on going to I plan to go to Stephen f. Austin not very good team but I want to have fun. I have played soccer all my life all year around for my high school team the last 2 years and completive for the last 5 I am 6'2 and around 180 and I can punt and average of 40+ yards before hitting the ground my hanging time is around 4 secs but maybe be off a bit I can almost always make it bounce forward about another 10 yards and my long is around the 60 yard mark is there anything you guys would suggest I do to maybe make me better at it like some at home tanning or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football