Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,456,775 times

Advertisements

Sam Keller might not have been the college quarterback that many thought that he would be, but he soon might make a name for himself as the guy that took down the NCAA.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Former College QB Has Strong Case Against NCAA & EA - Sports Biz with Darren Rovell - CNBC.com

Last edited by Marka; 05-15-2009 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,456,775 times
Maybe he was confident in making the NFL and when he failed he actually relised that he will have to go and get a real job, do a hard days labour and earn his money just like everyone else in this forum (i'm presuming?).

I have no idea why somebody would sue EA Sports over this, he does have a point but that is besides the point.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Maybe he was confident in making the NFL and when he failed he actually relised that he will have to go and get a real job, do a hard days labour and earn his money just like everyone else in this forum (i'm presuming?).

I have no idea why somebody would sue EA Sports over this, he does have a point but that is besides the point.

I can see why he would sue. The NCAA and EA Sports are making money off of him without his express consent, and are collaborating to circumnavigate NCAA rules. NFL players get money when they are used in things like this.

The "well the kid is getting a free ride education" argument only goes so far. College football programs already pull in enough money off these kids to support whole entire athletic programs that are largely unprofitable outside of maybe Mens basketball. That is millions upon millions of dollars a season. For a kid starring for 3 or 4 years, if you were to divide out his portion of that money, it would be many times over what he got in the form of a scholarship.

Now colleges are finding even more ways to make money off these kids backs without them getting a penny? Its rediculous in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I can see why he would sue. The NCAA and EA Sports are making money off of him without his express consent, and are collaborating to circumnavigate NCAA rules. NFL players get money when they are used in things like this.

The "well the kid is getting a free ride education" argument only goes so far. College football programs already pull in enough money off these kids to support whole entire athletic programs that are largely unprofitable outside of maybe Mens basketball. That is millions upon millions of dollars a season. For a kid starring for 3 or 4 years, if you were to divide out his portion of that money, it would be many times over what he got in the form of a scholarship.

Now colleges are finding even more ways to make money off these kids backs without them getting a penny? Its rediculous in my opinion.
Agreed, except I would say tens of millions of dollars if not hundreds of millions of dollars, and I don't think EA has contracts with individual universities, I believe their deal is through the NCAA, The Universities make zero from EA sports (I think).

The money my favorite team's Athletic Dept took in last year is almost unbelievable (over $33 million in 07-08 in donations alone!) Another $40 Million in gross ticket sales in 07-08, media sponsorship @ over 6 Million, licensing @ 2.8 Million, etc. etc.

I'm all for enriching the Universities, I have no problem with the money these departments take in, OU's Athletic Dept uses ZERO public funds.

Screw the NCAA and EA sports geting rich off of the players without proper compensation, esp the NCAA.

Some retired greats from the NFL recently won a similar lawsuit and good for them, you aren't allowed to use someone's likeness without their proper consent to make money.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:36 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Agreed, except I would say tens of millions of dollars if not hundreds of millions of dollars, and I don't think EA has contracts with individual universities, I believe their deal is through the NCAA, The Universities make zero from EA sports (I think).
The Universities are getting their cut from the NCAA. If not, you wouldn't see any trademarked logos in the game. I can promise you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
The money my favorite team's Athletic Dept took in last year is almost unbelievable (over $33 million in 07-08 in donations alone!) Another $40 Million in gross ticket sales in 07-08, media sponsorship @ over 6 Million, licensing @ 2.8 Million, etc. etc.
It is absurd how much money that they take in, and most of it is a result of football. At most schools, football is paying for pretty much the whole athletic department on a whole, with mens basketball usually the only other sport that remotely runs in the black. The kids dont make a dime off of it, and in fact, are restricted from getting any kind of money in relation to it.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,040 times
Making a profit on the backs of student athletes, while insisting that those same students cannot share in those profits is a pretty scumbag thing to do. And I'm outraged.

Well, no I'm not. But it does point to the blatant hypocrisy in sports these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football