Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times

Advertisements

I am not saying BYU WILL go 12-0; I am saying IF they go 12-0; they will get a BCS title game spot.

They are already ranked 9th in the county, they already have a marquee win over Oklahoma; and the teams ahead of them, are going to lose. Old Miss, USC or Ohio State this weekend, Oklahoma State; BYU if they keep winning; they wil keep climbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
WAY too early to tell.

There are probably two or three dozen college football teams that play harder schedules, who have not lost yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing BYU in the MNC, but their schedule is easy. Given the nature of college football scheduling, it would be difficult for me to consider a BCS contender who plays 8 cupcakes.

They only play 4 halfway decent teams. If they're the only undefeated team, sure, I say give them a shot.

Last edited by le roi; 09-09-2009 at 06:40 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,810 times
There are 8 teams in front of them that will be ranked higher if they all go undefeated.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
There are 8 teams in front of them that will be ranked higher if they all go undefeated.
But that's the thing........... they won't.

OSU and USC play this weekend, so one of them is gone.

Oklahoma State and Ole Miss; no way they'll go 13-0.

Alabama and Florida both can not go undefeated, so scratch one of them.

That leaves, Texas, USC/OSU winner, and Penn State.

If Ohio State knocks off USC, then you will lose one of the Big 10 teams; the Bucks and Penn State play later this year.

When is the last time we had two undefated teams square off in the title game? If recent history is any indication, Texas, USC, Florida; odds are at least two of them will drop a game. I would think that if BYU runs the table, and they might; the odds are more than in their favor that other teams are going to lose.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:52 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,609,888 times
I say they play 5 decent teams. AF isn't that bad.

They probably would trump an undefeated Penn State team. IMO

They probably wouldn't trump an undefeated PAC10 or SEC team. IMO

They are not that good anyway. They are just slightly better than an injury plagued OU team that is realistically just a top 15 team that will most likely lose 2-3 games this year, which in the end, is where I think bYu ends up except with a much easier schedule.

Now if OU would run the table, that would change everything if bYu ended up undefeated.

Too many variables now that I think about it.

I think FSU is going to beat them handily anyway.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
But that's the thing........... they won't.

OSU and USC play this weekend, so one of them is gone.

Oklahoma State and Ole Miss; no way they'll go 13-0.

Alabama and Florida both can not go undefeated, so scratch one of them.

That leaves, Texas, USC/OSU winner, and Penn State.

If Ohio State knocks off USC, then you will lose one of the Big 10 teams; the Bucks and Penn State play later this year.

When is the last time we had two undefated teams square off in the title game? If recent history is any indication, Texas, USC, Florida; odds are at least two of them will drop a game. I would think that if BYU runs the table, and they might; the odds are more than in their favor that other teams are going to lose.
I know they all wont go undefeated. But BYU needs every single one of them to lose at least one game maybe more.

UF, UT, PSU, USC, OSU, ND (yeah I know, but they get love in the polls), OkSU.

BYU cant have the same record as any of those teams and make it is what I am trying to say. They HAVE to go undefeated and HAVE to have the other teams all lose a game or two.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not saying BYU WILL go 12-0; I am saying IF they go 12-0; they will get a BCS title game spot.

They are already ranked 9th in the county, they already have a marquee win over Oklahoma; and the teams ahead of them, are going to lose. Old Miss, USC or Ohio State this weekend, Oklahoma State; BYU if they keep winning; they wil keep climbing.

There's no doubt that beating Oklahoma does help their chances considerably. The big thing is they'll have to win their last 11 to make it. That's all they can do.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Yes, 12-0 probably gets them into the BCS title game where they likely get stomped.
They are good, they don't seem to be national championship good though.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM

I still say a 1-loss UT, UF, USC or maybe even OkSU gets in over an undefeated BYU.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
BYU cant have the same record as any of those teams and make it is what I am trying to say. They HAVE to go undefeated and HAVE to have the other teams all lose a game or two.
............and that is the whole premise of this thread. If that does happen, and the odds are it will, BYU will be in the BCS title game.

Only one of the Big XII teams can go 13-0

Only one of the SEC teams can go 13-0 (there are 3 ahead of BYU right now)

Ohio State plays USC this weekend, a tie is not possible.

Most of those teams ahead of BYU are playing eachother, it is not possible for all of them to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football