Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
College sports are no different than pro sports.

The best college teams have the best high school recruits.
( look at the top 10 list of colleges getting the highest ranked recruits)

Same with the pros, a team lineup that is filled with last round draft picks ain't gonna be in the Superbowl.

When we see TCU, Boise State, or Cincinatti landing the top high school recruits in the nation, they will be able to competewith the " big boys".
Hmm...comparing college to pro is not something I would agree with here. The pats actually have faired well without the benefit high draft picks, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder iirc. Also isn't Notre Dame routinely in the top 10 recruiting rankings? I could be wrong about that, but if they are they certainly haven't been on the cusp of winning a national title recently. Recruiting class rankings are flawed anyways as top recruits, like top draft picks flame out, get injured, or were just grossly misjudged.

The other obvious problem with your comparison is there is no real recruiting in the pros, its drafting, free agent signing and trades---where as college they actually have to go to Bumble, ND to talk to some high schoolers parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
The game wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I expected the defenses to play well but both offenses struggled overall. I was rooting for TCU and I think they had the edge coming into the game but they simply commited too many turnovers and had too many critical dropped passes to win the game. Even though Boise State's offense struggled too, when they needed it the most they made that critical play on that punt fake that gave them field position for the score that helped them win the game. I think both of them are very good football teams so as far as them being able to compete with other major conference opponents, I say the only way to determine that is on the field.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
The game wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I expected the defenses to play well but both offenses struggled overall. I was rooting for TCU and I think they had the edge coming into the game but they simply commited too many turnovers and had too many critical dropped passes to win the game. Even though Boise State's offense struggled too, when they needed it the most they made that critical play on that punt fake that gave them field position for the score that helped them win the game. I think both of them are very good football teams so as far as them being able to compete with other major conference opponents, I say the only way to determine that is on the field.
Agree, I expected more, but long layoffs and the national audience hurt somewhat.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
I am still trying to figure out who has the ugliest uniforms,I guess it has to be Boise State.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
College sports are no different than pro sports.

When we see TCU, Boise State, or Cincinatti landing the top high school recruits in the nation, they will be able to competewith the " big boys".
You do know that Cincy is in a BCS conference... so they are one of "the big boys".

Anyway, this was a lose-lose game for both teams.
If:

- TCU won by a blowout: You would have said that TCU played an irrelevant team that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

- TCU won by a small margin: You would have said that TCU was too weak to play with the "big boys".

or

- Boise St. won by a blowout: You would have said that TCU was overrated and should have played in the New Mexico Bowl or somethin' like that....

And because TCU lost by a damn trick play and too many dropped passes (equals to 7 points), you're saying that they're over rated and take away from how hard Boise played. I watched that whole game and by the way the Frogs played, TCU should have lost by more..... and this is comming from a TCU fan.

Admit it. No matter the outcome, some BCS pusher would have boasted, grinnin' from ear to ear, happy to know that no matter what, schools like this still wont get the recognition and respect they deserve. It's really sad....

Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
If you can say with a straight face that either one of those two teams deserved to play for the national championship your a better actor than me.

I love the Boise St gadget plays, I think more teams should incorporate them. If it works, USE IT!
Both squads played hard, but neither squad THIS YEAR would have played competetivley vs Alabama.

For all those who put some of the blame on the "big stage" they were on...IMAGINE HOW MUCH BIGGER THE BCS CHAMPIONSHIP STAGE WOULD HAVE BEEN???

Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
If you can say with a straight face that either one of those two teams deserved to play for the national championship your a better actor than me.
You're continuing to show my point. As long as there's a system that keeps teams like Boise and TCU out, there's no way to proove you right.

So it's real easy for you to say that they can't compete with Bama or Texas because THEY WON'T GET A CHANCE TOO, and you know they won't.

I'll keep saying that all the mid-majors who finnish undefeated get a real shot at the title. And if either Alabama or Texas gets blown out in the NCG, I'll say it even louder...

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Maybe THEY should play a tougher schedule and then the conversation is not even happening.

They had the "BIG STAGE" last night and scored 10 pts.... c'mon man are you serious?

I'm all for letting them play the big schools, as long as durning the regular season they play the same level of competition as the big schools do.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
JJG

I got news for ya. These schools do everything they can to play a tougher schedule, but here's the thing.... THEY CAN'T.

All TCU can do is play two BCS schools at the most that actually want to play them. Because these schools aren't in BCS conferences (BTW, it's not there fault that the teams are in "weak conferences" because they have very little power in what conference they play in) the "big boys" don't want to play them because they feel it would bring down their strenght of schedule.... or if they got beat, they would fall far in the rankings.

Again, it's lose-lose for both Boise and TCU. No matter what, there's no way these teams will get a fair shot at any kind of title.

And again, it's one game. ONE game. It may have been the worst time to play like crap, but it's still just one bad game. 12-1 is still a damn good season... no matter what BCS supporter wants to say.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
as opposed to Texas that scored, what 13 points, on the big stage of the bix XII championship that determined if they got to play in the NC

or how about the 16 points they managed in the rivalry game versus OK @ the cotton bowl?

they also dominated the pac 10 champion ducks - so they are now 2-0 versus teams that are playing in BCS games

does alabama not get to play because they only scored 12 points against TN at home?

I think it's hard to argue against Bama ..... but you can certainly argue against TX for Boise or TCU

I mean TX went out and scheduled out of conference power teams like UTEP, UCF, UL-M and Wyoming despite having such intense conference matchups as baylor, colorado and kansas

With TCU playing clemson, utah and byu (all 3 of which won their bowl games) I don't think a TX fan can knock their schedule .... TCU regular season opponents are 6-0 in their bowl games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football