Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 AM

154 posts, read 526,752 times

Advertisements

I read some where the primary motivation for students in most colleges is FEAR. They do not want to fail. Few students would take the class out of intellectual interest alone. Most work relatively hard because they want to pass the class, that's all.

So what motivates you most in college? (the majority of the time)

1) FEAR

2) Intellectual Interest

3) A burning desire to do well to prove to your self that you are a hard worker.

4) You feel the material in the class is going to help you later in life in your career. (Practical knowledge but you have no real intellectual interest in it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I'm not a current college student, so perhaps there are some generational differences. That said, I would strongly disagree that this was the case with most of my classmates; certainly wanting to well was a motivation (more for fear of personal embarrassment than anything else), but intellectual interest alone was certainly a major motivating factor.

Then again, I was a liberal arts students, and we so often get bashed for not being "practical". I suppose that crowd perhaps draws a higher percentage of students who are doing it due to intellectual interest and curiosity.

I do know some people who seem to have just gone through the motions of school because they needed a degree to get a job; those people majored in things like marketing or communications or other degrees they'd heard would be useful. (no offense to those who majored in either of those; I know there are also students in those classes who find it fascinating and have an intellectual interest in the subject!)

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
There isn't just one. For me, it was a combination of intellectual interest and a desire to prove I was smart. Mostly, intellectual interest but having a father who thought a daugther wasn't worth educating was also in there.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM

81 posts, read 229,936 times
I wanted to prove i was good at whatever i did...

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 AM

299 posts, read 903,765 times
There are 3 things that motivate me to do well in college:

1) Getting a job that will pay me a lot of money once I finish.
2) Getting the hell out of where I live right now.
3) Being able to put my own kids through college so that they too, can make a lot of money someday.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to college just because you have the "intellectual interest" to do so, you are doing nothing more than wasting your (parents') money. For those who use that money to go study something like philosophy, music or another liberal art that won't help you land a well-paying job in the future, that is their problem, not mine.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,715 times
girls.

i wanted to get grades good enough not to get kicked out so i can continue being surrounded by pretty girls.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:57 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I read some where the primary motivation for students in most colleges is FEAR. They do not want to fail. Few students would take the class out of intellectual interest alone. Most work relatively hard because they want to pass the class, that's all.

So what motivates you most in college? (the majority of the time)

1) FEAR

2) Intellectual Interest

3) A burning desire to do well to prove to your self that you are a hard worker.

4) You feel the material in the class is going to help you later in life in your career. (Practical knowledge but you have no real intellectual interest in it)
When I started my undergrad degree it was mostly #3 with a bit of #2. This is probably because I was in my mid 20s and always felt bad that I had never gone beyond completing community college at the age of 19.
As I became more interested in my courses, it was all #2 (By then I didn't have to prove anything to myself any more). I never did have any fear. What's there to be afraid of? As for #4, I've never thought of learning as a means to an end.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM

151 posts, read 570,008 times
There was definitely an element of fear in college. I liked Chemistry because it challenged me whereas my electives were pretty much show up to class sober, read the book, do the work and get an A. I had to work hard for even a B in most science classes.

I used to say my Physical Chemistry textbook was written by Stephen King because it scared the crap out of me (very difficult stuff)

I also thought If I worked very hard in college and got a degree I'd have all sorts of opportunities available with the "shortage of scientists." Of course, I was dead wrong about that and If I knew then what I know now I would not have bothered. It was all an astonishing waste of time. However, I was working so hard to get my degree I didn't did deep enough to uncover the truth and instead took the ACS/BLS information on science as truth.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:24 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
#2. I did not even think about careers when in college and I'm pretty lazy so it was definitely not to show I was a "hard worker". I don't get the first option though..

Old 07-03-2010, 12:30 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,911 times
MONEY...if you don't do well in school you will have a harder time amounting to anything.
DESIRE to do well and be PROUD of your accomplishments and grades...
LEARNING expands your world and makes you look at everything around you differently once you have a new understanding and outlook from your education

Also, having to pay for it yourself is a tremendous motivation. That made my husband take college more seriously than high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities