Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM

203 posts, read 278,630 times

Advertisements

is-the-college-debt-bubble-ready-to-explode: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/111460/is-the-college-debt-bubble-ready-to-explode - broken link)

two

Seems like this girl took out a massive amount for a sociology!!! degree and now wants everyone else to pay off her loan for her.

I cant believe people have given her nearly 7K!!!!

We see this quite often lately. It makes my generation look spoiled and entitled.

Why is it that every time we see a case of big debt reported in the news. it is female with a worthless BA degree? Ive seen at least three such articles in recent months. Do females get more sympathy and hence the newspapers use a more sympathetic figure to promote their view of reforming the student loan process?

I think the real criminals are the colleges and advisors that sell people on a worthless BA degree. But I dont think it takes away from the responsibility that the student should have. Students are adults and should be able to make decisions on their own. At least some, if not most, of the blame should go to the student. I dont like the idea of giving free rides to some when most dont get free rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,264 times
I agree with you in the way that I feel like it is strange that this girl is asking for others to pay for her education, when her education is HER responsibility, not others. However, I disagree with what you said about sociology being a useless degree. I'm majoring in Economics and Math, but I have a friend who is studying Sociology and after spending some time online looking at the courses, many students who study sociology have to take at least 3 upper level/advanced statistical and data analysis type classes. I could see a sociology major being successful in the business world. Businesses need people who can research, interpret, analyze, organize, collect, and present data.

People could easily argue all day about which degrees are useless, I've read many times on this website that my degree in economics will be useless. I completely disagree though. As an economics major, I take more rigorous and more upper level math courses than business finance majors. I feel like though these upper level calculus, econometrics, linear algebra, and differential equations classes do not teach me a specific skill (such as accounting for example), I have definitely become a better thinker. I’m better than many of my friends at taking big problems, breaking them down, and logically finding a solution. Economics has taught me a lot about making decisions – both small and large. Whenever a friend has a problem or a big decision to make a lot of times they will ask me for advice.

I feel like your degree is more about what you can do with it, not what it can do with you. Someone could easily major in business finance and go absolutely nowhere in life if they are just a lazy person, whereas someone with a degree in literature may do something creative or innovative that makes them a lot of money. At the end of the day it really just depends on the person.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
is-the-college-debt-bubble-ready-to-explode: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/111460/is-the-college-debt-bubble-ready-to-explode - broken link)

two

Seems like this girl took out a massive amount for a sociology!!! degree and now wants everyone else to pay off her loan for her.

I cant believe people have given her nearly 7K!!!!

We see this quite often lately. It makes my generation look spoiled and entitled.

Why is it that every time we see a case of big debt reported in the news. it is female with a worthless BA degree? Ive seen at least three such articles in recent months. Do females get more sympathy and hence the newspapers use a more sympathetic figure to promote their view of reforming the student loan process?

I think the real criminals are the colleges and advisors that sell people on a worthless BA degree. But I dont think it takes away from the responsibility that the student should have. Students are adults and should be able to make decisions on their own. At least some, if not most, of the blame should go to the student. I dont like the idea of giving free rides to some when most dont get free rides.
I have no sympathy for her. No school outside of a Ivy League school is worth $49k a year. At least get a less questionable major out of it.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
I feel really bad for her. I would be so stressed if I had that much debt.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I don't feel bad for her.
She CHOSE to go to a school she could not even remotely afford.
She CHOSE a major with bad job prospects.

Seriously, borrowing $50,000 for the FIRST year alone? Insanity on her part...

Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
hold up, how the heck did she end up w/ loans totaling $200K?

tuition at Northeastern is currently just shy of $37K. w/ room and board, it comes up close to $50K, but room and board is a luxury. she could have lived w/ her parents if they lived in/near the area. she could have rented a room in the Mission Hill area for $500-600/month, less than $8K for the entire year, as opposed to $12K+ for ten months. I've rented rooms in the Boston area for as low as $300/month. parts of the costs could have been further reduced w/ scholarships, grants, gov't loans, earning from jobs, even monetary help from Mom and Dad. if she didn't get any sort of financial aid from NE (doesn't sound like she did), then there was nothing forcing her to attend the first year or two. she could have deferred admission and taken care of her gen ed classes at a community college like Bunker Hill. so how the heck did she end up spending $50K a year? what the heck, did she take out massive loans so she could live the high life on Beacon Hill or the South End? fancy study abroad trips in Italy or Western Europe?

this is part of the issue I feel the media never touches. students are, to be blunt, plain stupid when it comes to paying for college. many don't explore alternative funding sources or are just plain too lazy to put in the leg work to find scholarships. they take out tons of loans, not only to cover tuition, but overpriced room and board, rent, trips, car expenses, etc. nothing wrong w/ doing so, just don't be surprised and start to whine and beg when the bill comes. she's like the person who doesn't have a down payment and uses massive loans to cover the entire cost of a house. and we saw where that lead them.

absolutely zero pity for this girl. I wouldn't give her a penny honestly

Last edited by eevee; 12-04-2010 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 02:12 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
She, and presumably her parents, know the cost before and during her college career. Why they all went for such an expensive college when they can't actually afford it is beyond me. It's not like she was going for a professional Graduate degree or anything...you don't spend that kind of money on a soft major BA.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have no sympathy for her. No school outside of a Ivy League school is worth $49k a year. At least get a less questionable major out of it.
I whited out part of it to make it even more true.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:28 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
The irony is that anyone with any social awareness knows that the only ones who can afford sociology degrees (especially at the ivy league level) are those without any real clue as to what educational opportunities are afforded to the rest of us.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseLove View Post
However, I disagree with what you said about sociology being a useless degree.
Your assessment of the usefulness of a Sociology Degree is true, as is the case with most "useless" degrees. People generally speak based solely on their opinions and what they "know". With that, the majority of people out there assume that a sociology degree only leads to, well, employment as a social worker.

If a particular college degree is useless, than it is because the person who possesses it is also useless (in finding a good use for their degree/skill, not in that the person overall is a cold lump).

As for the woman in question here: if she went to Northeastern, why didn't she get involved in a Co-op, for which Northeastern is known for? Sure, she would have added another year onto her degree, but she would have also come out of it with a few years of experience in her "field" when she received her diploma which would have put her ahead of the other new grads both in terms of hiring potential and starting salary.

I see the same theme with all of these "I am in over-my-head with student loan debt. Please help me!" type of articles: in the end, the [former] student now regrets getting X degree and attempting to set out on Y path. Would they still have the same regret if they graduated debt free? I doubt it.

If the OP is regretting her choice of an educational path, it is more than likely because she is not working in that field, or if she is, does not understand that new hires start at the bottom of the ladder.

I have no pity for her or her situation. But, if she can manage to raise the funds to pay off her debts, then kudos to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities