Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What makes people old is that they "settle" and stop dreaming. Go for you. You are young. You will be a great role model for your children also.

My husband is a professional (CPA) in his 50's and just told me recently his dream is to go to law school. I've heard him mention it to quite a few people. I told him to go for it. Why not?
Glad to hear you have a mindset like me. Who says you're too old? People that are negative and "think" that people should act their age. That's pure nonsense.

Life is ever changing and so must we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I kinda think the dental school part of it has to be full time. You can maybe drop out for a year and pick up where you left off, but I'm not aware of part time study in programs like that.

To get a BA/BS in biology or similar, as you would need for dental school, your science courses have to all be within a few years too, e.g. 5 or so. Those are some of the constraints.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Go for it.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times
never too old!!! Go for it!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 26,199 times
Default I did med school

When I was 28 I started - and already had 2 kids. Had to do 4 years of med schhol then residency (3+ years).

So no - definitely not too late!

I am very glad I did.

go for it, but you need to plan out the childcare very well before you start, and go to a cheaper dental school. Don't worry about tuition debt, you'll afford it with your new salary easily.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Your age is no factor. Dental and medical schools graduate middle aged students quite often.

The primary obstacle you will have to overcome, is that you will be attempting to complete undergraduate studies and get a very good GPA, while trying to raise two kids who aren't old enough to be largely self sufficient. This is going to be your primary challenge. Most undergraduate (and dental) students don't have children (a few do). Dental school will be even more demanding.

Your goal is not unattainable, but IMO, to meet that goal, your must first have a bulletproof plan that addresses how you are going to raise 2 kids for 7-8 years, while having no income, and no free time.

The income can be rewarding, but you'll probably be $250k+ in debt. I know several general dentists who are struggling, and a few who aren't. You should be able to afford the debt. The kids are the challenge.

Last edited by 43north87west; 03-20-2011 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
The OP indicated she would look forward to doing it. If you're really interested in a certain field, it's not as hard; it's enjoyable.

Maybe it will take her 10 years, so what? A lot of people become dentists (women, that is) and take off a few years to have their children so by the time the OP gets out, I think that age is totally fine.
Keep in mind she acquiring a LOT of new debt before she even has an application to dental school... I wouldn't advise people to jump into 20-50k of debt before applying only to find out that they couldn't handle it even if they "thought" they could... you better be sure when jumping in that tar pit, I hate to see a family living in the streets because of bad advice... looking forward to doing it is a lot different than doing it... trust me, doing calculus, organic chemistry, is NOT enjoyable even if you are going to be a dentist... 10 years, maybe 15, maybe more... that is NOT an option when you are financially distressed... you have to make your goals clear and you have to put 1000% not just 100% because having kids is going to be that much more difficult, its not impossible but you better be sure you can handle it... unfortunately it doesn't sound like the OP has a mentor to help with the studies, cause she is DEFINITELY going to need one... bottom line is, not just anyone can do it... you better be sure you can do it..

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
I don't know how dental school admissions work, but my college friend who's a doctor and sits on the admissions committee of a med school here in Cali has told me that they're very weary of admitting ppl over the age of 30 unless they have relevant work experience in healthcare or social services. They don't want to invest their limited resources in older ppl who are just looking for a "career change" and don't have a clear idea of what they want to do with their medical degree.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 17,209 times
This was something that I clicked on as I am in the same boat! Only I am almost 50 year old female! I graduated from dental school overseas in 1989 but after taking my PART 1 & 2 (I got mid 80"s in grades) i did not pursue enough to get into a 2 year DDS program, and now the time has flown. I am still desiring to give it a one last try just to prove to myself that I did get my DDS in the US, against all the naysayers around me that I AM too old for dentistry, maybe research would be more suited. I just wanted to ask other people's opinions beyond my family. No i don't have children or any ties. Should I do it and then pay back 200 K's (at least ) in school loans by the time I am 65? I also have to keep in mund that both my parents died in their 60's of cancer. If DNA is any proof of health outlook does not forebode too well and might have to close shop towards that end of the self given 10 year to finish paying off loans.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
You would need to CAREFULLY assess your chances of getting into dental school; since you're in your mid-20s, age isn't too much of a factor, but you would need to finish college quickly..

Many careers are somewhat open-ended in terms of age; NOT SO in medicine, as admissions committees will literally consider "how many years can this person contribute to the practice of medicine" ( or dentistry). In many cases, medical/dental schools will not admit prospective students after the age of 30 ( esp. medicine, which would require 4 yrs of schooling, plus a residency, which could last anywhere from 3-7 years after school, and which will be the most time-consuming thing you've ever done).

After you've read all the pie-in-the-sky, "go for it" rhetoric, you need to seriously consider your odds of actually getting in, the effects on your family, and the time you'll spend doing it. Pursuing medical/dental school is not like going to a part-time MBA night program, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I simply can't stress this enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities