Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

I ask this question after listening to a couple of the posted videos in //www.city-data.com/forum/colle...t-college.html .

Many cultures use a "comming of age" ritual that involves jumping through an otherwise somewhat arbitrary set of flaming hoops to prove their worth as an adult member of society.

Does a college degree do that for our culture? Does the degree say: "I have the resources, the patience and ability to become an elite (and therefore valuable) American citizen?", much like boys of the Samburu tribe must endure certain tasks, harrassment and finally a ritual circumcision without flinching or showing any sign of pain before they are considered men (and therefore strong, brave and capable of great endurance as men must be to be successful in that culture)?

Or is college just a trap, meant to dupe people out of their money and lock them into debt, as many tend to argue here?

whatdayathink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Very good question. Although the word "elite" throws me for a loop. Even I graduated from a state school, I had some (not much), but some envy of others who went to a UC (here in California) or even a private school.

I had to accept that even though I thought I had a chance at say an Ivy or Ivy caliber school, that I'd be stuck with my state school degree. As I said however, I'm pretty much over that...

In general however yeah, I'd say that college is just 'another cultural hoop.' And there are stigmas associated with having and not having a degree.

I'd love to delve deeper into this topic, but I'm afraid I'd go on too long. Eh, maybe later.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
I think college helps people learn how to spell words correctly, for one thing.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I think college helps people learn how to spell words correctly, for one thing.
Yes, college does train many a spelling nazi to police the web for the "benefit of humanity". Anything else?

Last edited by Chango; 03-25-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Or is college just a trap, meant to dupe people out of their money and lock them into debt, as many tend to argue here?
What is the alternative? Should we not have trained doctors or structural engineers? Should we close down a school like UCLA because it’s just a “trap� Should everyone just muddle along with a high school diploma? Does anyone really believe this?

The real issue is that the 20th century was the Golden Age of the blue-collar worker. Manufacturing and skilled trade jobs paid middle-class wages with little or no academic, i.e., theoretical, education. Such a time is unlikely to ever come again and the transition is very, very painful for many people.

We forget that the 20th century was an anomaly. For the rest of recorded history the vast majority of people were peasants or manual laborers who toiled under brutal conditions just to get by. You don’t need to read Marx to see this. An author like Charles Dickens will do as well.

College does not guarantee anything, but it is often a prerequisite. People without a degree have fewer options to make a middle-class wage.

Also, education has been tied to status since the Middle Ages. The difference now is that people have access like never before. In the 19th century, many people started working at 13 or even younger. Finishing high school was a luxury and college was nearly impossible.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
It really does not take much to get a generic degree with a 2.0 GPA from one of the 6,900 accredited universities; graduates, especially young and inexperienced ones, are a dime a dozen and not valued by employers. In fact, they will typically be ignored.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its not a gneris degree that reallt pays but even then the stats show that you have a much btter chance of advancemnt. I have even known amny who did it while srokig knowing that they had limits otherwsie in corporate wrold. You can be a plumber with trainig if you want really but as a friend said who is a pluber;hope by back holdsout until retirement.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I ask this question after listening to a couple of the posted videos in //www.city-data.com/forum/colle...t-college.html .

Many cultures use a "comming of age" ritual that involves jumping through an otherwise somewhat arbitrary set of flaming hoops to prove their worth as an adult member of society.

Does a college degree do that for our culture? Does the degree say: "I have the resources, the patience and ability to become an elite (and therefore valuable) American citizen?", much like boys of the Samburu tribe must endure certain tasks, harrassment and finally a ritual circumcision without flinching or showing any sign of pain before they are considered men (and therefore strong, brave and capable of great endurance as men must be to be successful in that culture)?

whatdayathink?
As my kids and their friends graduated from high school, I came to feel that HS graduation is the coming of age ritual. After all, at least in middle class society, practically everyone graduates from high school.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:26 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Yes, college does have something to do with proving your worth from a societal standpoint inasmuch as we live in an information age now where one's ability to secure a viable future for oneself is dependent upon one's ability amass the right knowledge base and skill set. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
College is just another factor that enables a person to conduct their lives. It's not that it separates winners from losers. For those who haven't been fortunate enough to find their calling before going to college, college gives one additional time to mature while gaining more knowledge. The additional knowledge has great intrinsic value and expands one's options.

Winners and losers can be found among those who graduated from college as well as those who didn't attend at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities