Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,964 times

Advertisements

I've been working towards a B.S. in accounting. My school offers this "5th year" program where you can attain a masters degree and CPA license. I assume you just forgo the bachelor's degree. Now I know the first impulse is to say, "yeah, go for it! more education is ALWAYS better!" But here is the catch, I'm already 37. And I'm working a job that I hate more than any job I've had in my entire life. I'm not talking about 7/11 or McDonalds, keep going lower! There are a whole class of jobs you all probably don't even think about such as taxi drivers, tow truck drivers, repo-people, pawn shop employee, bounty hunters, you get the idea. How about a prostitute, now there's a low one! I work in a high crime part of town. Not only are my customers a rough clientele that point guns at me while they empty my register, but my co-workers are toothless people that come from abusive broken families, and speak some dialect of English that I can't understand. Alot of "we wuz's" are said during a day at my job. Thanks for letting me unload.

Back to the topic, I could have my bachelor's in accounting in a year and a half. Do you think that would be enough just to get me a general office job doing spreadsheets or something? At least I'd be in a safe environment. I could still pursue a master's on the side. But if I pursue the 5-year program, realistically I'll probably be in school for 4 more years, and I just can't handle this job for much more than a couple years. Not to mention I'd be in my forties by then. Plus I was thinking of maybe moving to California or AZ. I could wrap up this B.S. degree and have the freedom to go if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 PM

425 posts, read 996,189 times
I would say a BS should be sufficient to get you a basic office job. You're going to want to get into the field you want before you're 40; I think after that age, you may find age discrimination sneaking in.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,964 times
Thanks for the quick response. Luckily I can easily pass for late 20's. A couple of gray hairs are popping up here and there. But I'm going to start using Just for Men eventually. Then the new JFM slogan could say, "Just because I'm getting a late start in the game, doesn't mean I need to look like it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
I would say a BS should be sufficient to get you a basic office job. You're going to want to get into the field you want before you're 40; I think after that age, you may find age discrimination sneaking in.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
In your situation, I would also say that you should go for the BS and try to quickly get experience. Once you have some of that under your belt, many other next steps will become easier. Pursuing further school on the side and getting a CPA will then definitely open a lot of doors for you. I'd try to be as persistent on jobs as possible now, though.. that means you'll want to research potential employers, try to network with people in those companies, find out what exact skills they want...all of this is to position yourself as competitively as possible so that you maximize your chances of landing where you want once you have that degree.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,120 times
Your job situation makes that a fairly easy call, get the h*** out Dodge before one of your customer's decides to off you for kicks. Yes, a Masters/CPA would be preferable but its not worth the risk. JMO

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,952 times
with a BS- you can probably get into a management in training program (be ready to work ALOT of hours and produce results). Most will offer benefits and a decent salary to start with. Go with well-known companies with stability. I mean it may not be ideal but beggars cant be choosers in this day and age!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
How about you talk to your school about the possibility of coming back to do the program in a few years. That said, once you're in the workplace, it's hard to go back to school.

I would talk with them and not the internet about your situation. I'd play up that you aren't in a safe work environment and that you just want some help and guidance on how to get yourself out of it. Perhaps they can help you find a way out. Maybe they have some TA work that you can do in your 5th year.

A masters with an actual CPA designation sounds pretty sweet. Also, why don't you try to find a mentor. See if there are any local accounting organizations. Explain who you are, what your background is, and that you're looking for guidance from a leader in the industry.

People like to help others especially when you're risking life and limb to pay for school to get into their industry.

Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Popular opinion is that having a CPA will be much more important than completing a accounting Master's program. Since your goal is to find a way to change gears from your current work situation to accounting, I would complete the program and look for a accounting job once you get close to graduation. It's that first job that is the tough one to get...after that, it may become a little bit easier.
Don't overlook your current contacts...they may have a nugget of info. on who you can contact, where you can apply, etc. Also, get involved with the accounting club at your school if you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities