Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM

410 posts, read 1,498,315 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just found out I got accepted into the Master's program and plan on starting in the fall. I haven't studied for the GRE yet. I plan on starting soon studying and preparing. Any suggestions of what materials to use to study for the test? I'm not a great math person so I'm a little worried about that area.

How far in advance should I schedule to take the GRE? Do the classes fill up fast? I wanted to take it at the end of June or mid July so when should I sign up for it?

Also....Is there any way to set up a payment plan to pay for the test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,795,274 times
I used Cliffs GRE for IBM computers. Scored a 730 on the numeric.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:48 PM

80 posts, read 400,784 times
The new GRE format is slated to take effect August 1st of this year, that means the current version of the test MUST be taken on July 31st or earlier. You CANNOT use the new test for November reporting, so if your program want your GRE grades before November, you have to take the current version. I would suggest registering as soon as possible since the remaining slots are getting filled very rapidly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of grad program are you enrolling in? I find it odd they accept people without GRE scores.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Master of Social Work. I'm required to take the test as long as I take it before school starts. They don't have a minimum score they require but they require you to take it.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM

682 posts, read 2,428,336 times
I found Kaplan and Princeton Review manuals to be helpful in studying. It's not a test of knowledge so much as a test of reasoning (quickly). You can get both verbal and quantitative manuals. When you sign up on line for the GRE you also have two free practice exams. I think the Princeton Review book also comes with a CD that has more practice tests. If you don't have to have specific score, I would focus most on the verbal and writing sections, mostly for speed.

It takes about 6 weeks to grade the test, so take it early enough that you can get your scores submitted in time. I don't know of a payment plan option.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,131,205 times
I don't see any information about making payments, but they do have a fee reduction program:
GRE General Test: Fee Reduction Program
I didn't have any problem getting signed up for a slot, but that was a few years ago. I think I signed up a couple months in advance but I wasn't in any rush, I wanted to give myself more time to study. If I were you I would try to sign up as soon as you are able to afford to.
Best of luck.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,798,895 times
If it's just a requirement but the number itself doesn't matter, then I wouldn't bother spending much time or money studying for it. What's the worst that can happen if you don't do well? I was not used to taking tests on computers (grew up learning the testing techniques from the paper era, like rush through and answer what you can and then go back and finish up the rest as time allows) so I found some of the practice tests to be very helpful to get comfortable with things like pacing. Ultimately, though, if the test is essentially a mere formality, I wouldn't put much effort, time, or money into practicing. Maybe check out a book at the library and run through a sample test just so that you know what it will be like, then call it a day.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I feel like if I'm going to pay $160 for a test I would like to do well on it. I'm not saying I'm going to stress myself out studying but it will also help me get in the swing of things again. I've been out of school for almost 9 years so a little studying won't hurt. Also the Gre show can help me qualify for scholarships so I would like to do my best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities