Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 AM

42 posts, read 89,384 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of finishing up my B.A
and in trying to figure out what comes next ...

im 27 with no kids or husband so my options are open

1. get a masters in education ...

pros: the program is only 13 months
they will pay my fees aswell as giving my 30,000 for going fulltime

cons: 1.i will be tied to the L.A area the 4 years ( contract )
2.i was hoping to maybe go abroad (uk)
3.the pay is about 45,000-50,000

2. doctorate in physical theraphy....

pro:1. 70-80,000 per year (starting)
2. not much public speaking
3. have the title of doctor
4. you can pretty much find a job anywhere

cons: 1. 3 year program
2. 80,000 in student loans
3. programs can be hard to get into ( but i have no limits on relocating )

3. masters in nursing

pro: starting pay is at least 80,000
can move worldwide with pretty much no issue
2 year program

cons: 60,000 in debt
nurses work insane hours

the problem is i would be totally happy working in any of these jobs
but i need to do what is logical ....

at some point i would love live in the UK
would it make more sense to just get my masters in london
would that help my chances with getting "papers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,736 times
If you desperately want to live in the UK, why not apply to grad school there? I did my MA there and loved it. They may have changed the time limits, but as of last year, if you did a graduate degree in the UK, you automatically qualified for a 1-2 year work visa in the UK.

The tuition can also be cheaper. I think it cost me about $18K for my whole MA and I worked part time to cover my living expenses.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM

42 posts, read 89,384 times
my student loan will only cover fees and housing ... but you might be on to something
i didnt know you could work on a student visa

Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,736 times
Unless they've changed the rules in the last year or so, you are eligible to work 20 hours a week while you are in school and 40 hours during the breaks. That won't go as far in London, but I lived in a cheaper city up north and was able to live decently with that (grad student housing, didn't starve, but had to learn to cook since I couldn't afford to eat out every day). I'm doing my terminal degree in the US now and the only reason I have a better quality of life now is that my fiance has a good job and pays the bulk of our bills.

You can receive federal student loans to study at many (but not all) British universities, and most UK programs are shorter than US programs, so if you can pick up part time work and are industrious in your studies, a grad degree in the UK can be just as good of a deal or better.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
I personally think #2 has the least impact on you. With your expected income, the loans is nothing. You get the freedom tolive where you want. And while the program may be hard to get into, that's something you'll know up front before making the $80,000 investment. So you can always fall back on one of the others.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:46 AM

759 posts, read 3,146,456 times
I would pick physical therapy. Nursing can be rewarding but stressful and hectic. Also, nurses are subjected to cancellation if it's slow (and you have to use your vacation time). A lot of nurses start out working night shift.

I never hear of physical therapists getting cancelled. Also, the job isn't very stressful in most places. Money is great, and if you do decide to have children, there are many part time and flexible options.

Forget education, I know people getting their M.A. in it, and there are still not many jobs.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,173,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
If you desperately want to live in the UK, why not apply to grad school there? I did my MA there and loved it. They may have changed the time limits, but as of last year, if you did a graduate degree in the UK, you automatically qualified for a 1-2 year work visa in the UK.

The tuition can also be cheaper. I think it cost me about $18K for my whole MA and I worked part time to cover my living expenses.

I agree. Do it before you have kids and a husband.

As far as what to do, I'd do whatever you'd think you'd still be happy doing 20 years down the road.

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,281 times
Registered physical therapists laugh when you talk about a doctorate in it. Its not the same as one in anyother field and it doesn't give you anything that the RPT has.

Currently with massive budget cuts, schools are not hiring anyone with a Masters since they have to pay them more money.

Masters in Nursing is usually limited to supervisors.

Go for a license and certification in public schools in Speech Therapy. There is a desperate need around the country for this specialty....at the moment.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:16 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Registered physical therapists laugh when you talk about a doctorate in it. Its not the same as one in anyother field and it doesn't give you anything that the RPT has.

Currently with massive budget cuts, schools are not hiring anyone with a Masters since they have to pay them more money.

Masters in Nursing is usually limited to supervisors.

Go for a license and certification in public schools in Speech Therapy. There is a desperate need around the country for this specialty....at the moment.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with most everything you've posted. This is a first since usually you're posts are right on.

First of all, you would never strive for anything other than a DPT. Why? Because the bar is being set at that level across the nation and everyone soon will be required to have your doctorate. There are very few legitamate institutions left that are graduating students in PT at only the masters level.

As far as it not being the same as any other field, the only difference is that it's a clinical doctorate not requiring a doctoral thesis as required for a PHD. It's still 3 years study year around (yea, no summer break).

The only reason "registered" physical therapists that you might know laugh at it is because they don't have it. If these "registered" physical therapists hope to stay in the field 10 years from now they had better get ready to join the very crowd they are laughing at because to keep their jobs they will soon be required to go for their doctorates.

Physical therapist jobs are EVERYWHERE. Why? Because the pay, though very good, is among the lowest pay for graduates needing a doctorate. You will build up a bigger debt from college in relation to your starting pay in physical therapy than a great deal of other professions.

If you're looking at jobs in education. All I can say is that these days they are hard to find and pay except in certain states (like Wisconsin) is not very good. The pay for someone in speech therapy in our school districts is half what you would get from being a nurse practicioner and close to half what you would receive as a physical therapist.

As to nursing, a masters in nursing if it's in the form of a nurse practicioner (sp?) is an excellent move. They make considerably more than an RN and there is a big demand for them.

Now, let me qualify my opinions. My oldest daughter is a physical therapist, my son is a high school math teacher, my youngest daughter is an LPN and my wife is a registered nurse who happened to graduate #1 in her BSN class. I know of which I speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities