Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,886,013 times

Advertisements

I asked for full time at my job,even though it's a minimum wage job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,313,329 times
Yup ... with only one semester left to finish the degree, and all of the required courses in my major completed.

I left because I had a sideline business I'd started while in school which was bringing me a significantly higher income than any of the job offers I was seeing in the marketplace for after graduation. My business turned into a thirty year career which lead into another line of work which I currently pursue.

I probably didn't make any more money total than my classmates did over the long haul, but I had a lot more fun and freedom from the beginning. They worked in a corporate culture with relatively frequent layoffs and new employer/job assignments, with all the politics and pressures of that environment. I worked for myself, having only to satisfy my clientele with good quality workmanship and business ethics, which was much more satisfying for me.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,287,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I am currently not in school and I am not sure if I am going to return. I rather work than go to school. My major in school is physed. I had a feeling that was going to be a bad choice, especially in this horrible economy. They are laying off a lot of teachers and if I continue, what am I going to do with a bachelors in physed. I am currently working in a retail job and hoping to get a better job soon.
Yes, I did. Back in the day when I went to school for film, I took a "semester off" in my senior year, realized that I was making good money working as a server (I was making more money than management), and came to the conclusion that I "learned everything that I needed to know", which was true.

But....the main reason for me was that I looked around at my fellow students and realized that they were the same people that I would be working with, or for, and I couldn't stomach (for what-ever reason....). I only managed to acquire around $7 in loans at the time, so that was not an issue with me, however, a few years later I did begin to have some regrets, yet when I ultimately committed myself to going back, I went for a completely different subject (science), and basically had to start back at step one (essentially, entering as a Freshman).

Uh, there are a lot of people on here who will tell you that you can't do anything with a B.A. in Phys. Ed., yet, the truth is that you can do what-ever you want with it (within reason).

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 PM

1,543 posts, read 3,001,499 times
Yeah, I did. And I ended up finishing school in 5 and half years with summer school and overloading. Had it not been for doing that I would have probably finished school in 7 years.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I am currently not in school and I am not sure if I am going to return. I rather work than go to school. My major in school is physed. I had a feeling that was going to be a bad choice, especially in this horrible economy. They are laying off a lot of teachers and if I continue, what am I going to do with a bachelors in physed. I am currently working in a retail job and hoping to get a better job soon.
I have no idea what the phys ed teacher's market is like, but I do know a lot of parents in my area who pay a lot of money for youth sports coaching. I have been shocked at how much money private coaches are making, even in this economy. It seems like parents have no limits on what they'll spend on training little Johnny to attain that big college sports scholarship. This is a huge, lucrative market and I do not see it abating.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:08 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,967,577 times
More common among people I know are those who decided to take a year off after HS and never went to college at all.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,070,187 times
I went to school part-time for about 6 years while working 60 hours a week. Although I took a semester off here and there, and was able to go full-time the last two years, and graduated at 32.

If you already started, I would try your hardest to finish.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,757 times
I did. I went to school in 2003 and I decided to take a break from school after my spring semester. Now it's 2011 and I'm back in school full time. Between my break, I've was working a job that wasn't paying that well, had a daughter, and taking a class every other semester. Last year, I came to a decision that I need to complete my bachelors and give up working minimum wage. From experience just reconsider taking a break from college and think about going into a different major.
Good Luck

Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,424,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atownsend View Post
I did. I went to school in 2003 and I decided to take a break from school after my spring semester. Now it's 2011 and I'm back in school full time. Between my break, I've was working a job that wasn't paying that well, had a daughter, and taking a class every other semester. Last year, I came to a decision that I need to complete my bachelors and give up working minimum wage. From experience just reconsider taking a break from college and think about going into a different major.
Good Luck
I had a sort of similar problem. My plan was to work a full time job, along with a part time job for 15-20 hours/week, but I never got that, even with 3 jobs! I was hoping I could save up enough so that when I went back to school, I could pay to live on my own while grants payed for tuition. I realized I won't be able to get a full time job with any liveable pay unless I finished my degree. So here I am, working the same awful jobs/hours with the same awful pay, but at least I'm working on my degree so I don't have to stay there.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,788,989 times
I didn't think school was for me either. I quit after a year and a half. Biggest mistake of my life. I quit and went to work full time making only a bit more than minimum wage. Ended up working 2 jobs. After a semester or two of that I realized I wasn't going to have what I wanted in life without an education, but by that time I'd bought a car, and gotten myself into debt, so I couldn't quit working full time. So I worked full time and went back to college at night. Did that for a few years, until I married and moved away. I finally went back to school full time and finished about 20 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities