Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 22,025 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

-If you were in your late 20's and trying to get into the finance/business industry, which school would you pick as an undergraduate?

-Which school has more recruiters coming in for career events? (When I say recruiters, I mean large banks, large investment firms or boutiques, etc)

-Which school has more networking?

I am not from that area so I can't ask around.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 PM

I guess I should also note that I would be interested in Majoring in either Finance/Accounting/Economics/Math

Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 AM

27,303 posts, read 44,293,488 times
In terms of overall reputation nationally, I would say the University of South Carolina wins over UNC-Charlotte. It's MBA program is ranked #38 by the Financial Times and as such will receive a fair amount of attention nationally by recruiters versus UNC-Charlotte which will probably receive more attention from employers in the Atlanta-Charlotte corridor.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of overall reputation nationally, I would say the University of South Carolina wins over UNC-Charlotte. It's MBA program is ranked #38 by the Financial Times and as such will receive a fair amount of attention nationally by recruiters versus UNC-Charlotte which will probably receive more attention from employers in the Atlanta-Charlotte corridor.
Well, wouldn't the Atlanta-Charlotte corridor consist of the larger banks and investment firms?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 AM

27,303 posts, read 44,293,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d7882 View Post
Well, wouldn't the Atlanta-Charlotte corridor consist of the larger banks and investment firms?
Not any more than any other large metro areas in the country. My point is if one wants more of a national scope in terms of potential hiring, U of South Carolina's reputation is more likely to provide that. For me I'd rather have variety of options and potential choice versus settling, but to each his own.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,818,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d7882 View Post
Hello everyone,

-If you were in your late 20's and trying to get into the finance/business industry, which school would you pick as an undergraduate?
i'm biased as a USC grad-- but i would pick USC, because I believe that a USC business degree carries more weight than a UNCC business degree; definitely in SC, and probably in NC and GA as well.

if you're talking about working in investment banking, though, I don't see how either school is going to put you in a solid position to achieve that. Investment banking is of course concentrated in the northeast.

i also don't think you will get any factual answers to your other questions.

Last edited by le roi; 05-18-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm biased as a USC grad-- but i would pick USC, because I believe that a USC business degree carries more weight than a UNCC business degree; definitely in SC, and probably in NC and GA as well.

if you're talking about working in investment banking, though, I don't see how either school is going to put you in a solid position to achieve that. Investment banking is of course concentrated in the northeast.

i also don't think you will get any factual answers to your other questions.
It is true that northeast is full of large investment firms, but Charlotte has their fair share of firms. So I'm trying to figure out which school would have more networking in these firms.

Maybe not even investment banking. It can be the banking industry as a whole. I would more than likely start out as an analyst. Just want to have a greater chance of getting hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities