Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,226 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon!

First, let me say, I'm not advocating for, nor do I want to start an argument about 'for profit' schools such as Capella or Kaplan.

I am active duty military, and would like to pursue a career as an LPC or LCSW. I'd prefer an LCSW, but I can't find an online program that suits my needs, so I've started looking at schools such as Capella to see what they had to offer. As some of the other posts said, some of us don't have the luxury of being able to pursue a degree in a seated class due to life situation. In my case, 6 months in Afghanistan or Oman will really throw a shwarma in my education plans.

I see a lot of flame wars about how great they are and how bad 'for-profit' vs 'non-profit' are, and how 'non-profit' is merely a tax code designation.

My questions is this:

If you have your state license as an LPC or LCSW, does it really matter what school you go to?

Last edited by jonkrus; 05-16-2011 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,133,254 times
Online Master of Social Work Program | University of Southern California | MSW Degree
http://distance.und.edu/degrees/?interest=SOC&page=2 - two types of programs one for BSW students and another for non BSW students
http://socialwork.une.edu/
http://csw.fsu.edu/index.php?clickLink=online-offcampus
http://www.socialwork.txstate.edu/degrees-programs/On-Line-Masters-Program.html (broken link)
http://www.fordham.edu/academics/col...ne_msw_option/
Check with your state to find out licensing requirements. Someone I know resides in Texas and is doing the USC this program online. They also have a Military Social Work concentration. Best thing about it is that their is no stigma attached with the schools listed above.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
Don't waste your money on an LPC degree, check OPM.gov...you can't FIND a job with Army, or VA with a counseling degree. If you can't do the MSW, then don't bother.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,133,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Don't waste your money on an LPC degree,
LPC is a licensure (Licensed Professional Counselor), not an actual degree major. Those who major in certain counseling majors are eligible to apply for the license provided they complete the requirements set forth by their state.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Either way, the federal government won't hire an LPC. Go with Social Work.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,198 times
First I've looked on Indeed.com for jobs. They seem to want LMFT, LPC or LCSW. It depends on WHAT you want to do. Social work does not focus on the counseling aspect as much. (from what I've read)
OU offers an online Social Work degree through the education outreach. They are near tinker and its geared for members of the military too.
I am pursuing my LPC with a Masters of Science in Counseling and I will go for my LMFT with the same degree.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 AM

22 posts, read 62,798 times
I know LMHC (the New York State credential for Master's level counselors) who work for the V.A. and the government, so yes, they do get hired.

Mental Health Counseling is deeper and more focused on counseling and therapy. Social Work is more "broad". Social work is currently the more recognized degree, but Mental Health (at least here), has a very active little organization and closely knit network advocating for it.

Both are worthy degrees; I'm biased towards Mental Health myself But either way you go, you will get a good credential for the work you want to do.

The schools Skeet09 listed are all EXCELLENT schools for social work. In a field as competative as social work or counseling, the name of the school on the degree, and the connections, matter a lot.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Right...please go to OPM.gov, put in Social Work, see how many jobs come up. Then put in Counselor, or even LPC, and see how many jobs come up.

Be informed before you make a big mistake.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 PM

22 posts, read 62,798 times
Many jobs that are posted as "Social Worker" (this is in general, not necessarily applied to the government) are open to Mental Health counselors - if you ask and make the case for the degree. Positions that involve therapy and clinical work are especially open to mental health counselors who advocate for themselves.

I won't deny the difficulty of getting a job with a Mental Health degree; it is fairly new (at least in New York) and does not yet have the network or connections that Social Work does. But I did a quick survey of my Facebook and LinkedIn friends and connections, and the majority of my graduate MHC class is currently employed in the field, in hospitals, universities, private practices, and the government, with varying titles ranging from "Social Worker" to "Therapist".

But anyone should do substantial research before getting any degree, to make sure it is the right one for the work. If you want to work for the VA, and the VA hires primarily social workers, then of course an MSW is the better degree. If you want to work at a hospital or agency, both degrees are worthy, depending on the emphasis and specialty of your work. If you want to do primarily therapy, or if you want to work at a school or university, then Counseling/Mental Health is a stronger degree.

That said, Social Work looks like it has some very high quality online programs, judging by the list given above, so the MSW might be the best route for the OP.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM

LPC still cannot bill third party payment for Medicare, or Tri-Care. Even Medicaid won't sign off on LPC, unless it is supervised by an LCSW or medical doctor. An LPC cannot be a Substance Abuse Professional, for Department of Transportation evaluations either...but an MSW can.

Things to be informed about before getting a Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling...and finding alot of jobs not open to you, because you can't bill third party payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities