Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,028,935 times

Advertisements

Baruch easily. The cost and reputation of the program is as good as it gets with nyc IMO. Your cost to benefit ratio will be be higher.

Fordham simply has a solid rep as a school overall, but the price tag is very heavy. Prepare to make $1000+ student loan payments for the next 15-20 years.

Baruch could probably be paid off in 5 years at the same rate.

Both jobs probably have similar job and career advancement prospects.

I'd take Baruch and wouldn't look back twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,053,666 times
I would rate Baruch equal to Fordham. Since these are your choices, I'd focus on which one will be cheaper for you. Neither of these 2 universities have the reputation of NYU or Columbia Business School.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 AM

10 posts, read 32,179 times
i consider them to be equal as well. I think i will go with Baruch since it is 40,000 cheaper than Fordham.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:13 PM

784 posts, read 2,733,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoun View Post
i also have offers from pace-hofstra-adelphi and iona!
Those are also terrible schools.

Listen, I don't know who you are, but obviously you are not from NYC.

This (NYC) is one of the most cut-throat markets for job placement. With proximity to the Ivy League Schools, MIT, etc, a degree from Fordam or Baruch or anywhere of that nature will probably not get you a job in marketing in NYC. I knew many students who I've grown up with that didn't perform so hot in High School, so they went to one of those local colleges, got an MBA, and are making $12 / hr doing some dead end job, or unemployed and living with their parents, waiting for openings in the NYPD or FDNY so they can join. I don't know the age of the posters in this thread, but I'm willing to guess that many of them are at least in their mid 30s, and graduated from school when it was easier to get a job from one of those schools (tech bubble anyone), so they may be speaking from experience. Well, welcome to 2011, times have changed.

For most companies in NYC, marketing is a cost-center, which means it does not generate profits for the company. No profits = make the department as small as possible = little / no job openings = the openings that do get filled are going to be from the MBA students from Columbia / NYU / Kellogg / etc. Got it?

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 05-28-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 03:22 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
To the OP - they are NOT both "terrible schools". The other one to which you were accepted are not "terrible schools,"either.

I am originally from NY. The best thought of in the NY area, of the schools that you mentioned, are Hoftstra, Fordham and Baruch. Adelphi and Iona are not as competitive.But not terrible.
I would personally go to Baruch. Least costly.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
To the OP - they are NOT both "terrible schools". The other one to which you were accepted are not "terrible schools,"either.

I am originally from NY. The best thought of in the NY area, of the schools that you mentioned, are Hoftstra, Fordham and Baruch. Adelphi and Iona are not as competitive.But not terrible.
I would personally go to Baruch. Least costly.
Aren't you located in PA now? Surely the NYC job market has changed since you left.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM

I am a New Yorker and I am familiar with the universities mentioned by the OP. I have only lived in PA for eight months.
The OP did not ask about the NYC "job market." That would be on another forum.
I merely said that they were not "terrible schools" which is what you said.
Most of my family still lives in Manhattan or the suburbs of NY. I have adjuncted at several NY area colleges. I have two first cousins who teach at NYU and Columbia. Both of my grandfathers were Columbia graduates. I have close relatives who graduated from NYU, Columbia, Hofstra, Forham and City College.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM

You are correct that these are not top tier MBA programs. He wasn't asking that. He was asking which was the best among the the schools to which he applied and was accepted.

I might have answered differently if the question were "what are the best MBA programs?"
However that is not what he asked.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM

He's also arguing that he needs to choose a program. I am arguing that he doesn't. (of course nobody is forced to choose an MBA program)

Obviously the NYC job market is relevant here b/c why would you go to school in NY? At most MBA programs, the majority of job placement is with companies that are based locally. Obviously for the top-tier schools, it changes a little bit.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM

10 posts, read 32,179 times
OK i may have caused some misunderstandings around here. The thing is that the MBA program true has some employment placements in the district around the University that one graduates from. But a student must not be limited by that rule. Lines don't keep other people out, they fence them in someone said years ago, and i believe that person was an American. You dont have the authority to call a university "crap" or "****" or a student who pursue a degree from that, looser. You have to enhance ones effort and force him to do his best to succeed. Here your comments are read by people all around the world. You are not limited by the narrow bounds that your brain probably does!!!
So please do not set the wrong example by diminishing an institution just because it happens to lags behind in credentials against Collumbia or NYU. We, the international students, we are about to travel thousands of miles and spend a lot of money because we believe that you people over there know how to appreciate a person or an institution and see behind the apparent.
Thanks for your time. For the record, i will attend Baruch. Goodnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities