Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:44 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
I refused to answer your question. Yes. Partly because I'm not sure why knowing the names of the schools will help. Partly because I hate how you demanded that I "name them."

I'm not concerned about her plight though. I think her case is BS. First, she's been doing doc review for 3 years. Second she stated she couldn't find a job that would pay more than a non legal job. Those two things tell me where her head is on this. And she can't blame the school. This is her fault.

First, it's easy to sit there and claim to have info that refutes what someone else is saying but refuse to provide it. That alone tells me you don't know what you are talking about. It's like a petulant schoolboy.

You claim that you know for a fact some schools do things a certain way, yet you refuse to name them. Very convincing.

Second, her case is certainly not BS. Most 4th-tier schools actively participate in this type of fraud. In all likelihood, coming from such a crap school, she had absolutely nothing available but doc review, and was probably lucky to get that.

Your take on the legal market, while entertaining, is in no way accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM

402 posts, read 590,784 times
My take on the legal market is quite accurate. What's the point of naming the schools? What does that change? And using the word fraud is over the top under these circumstances. Even if the schools are being a bit misleading, it doesn't rise to the level of fraud.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times
Quote:
My take on the legal market is quite accurate. What's the point of naming the schools? What does that change? And using the word fraud is over the top under these circumstances. Even if the schools are being a bit misleading, it doesn't rise to the level of fraud.

So, let me see if I can summarize:

You refuse to answer if you have a JD or not, you refuse to say what your qualifications are for judging the legal market to people who are actually heavily invested in what the legal market currently is, you make several claims about what schools do and do not do yet refuse to name schools to back up your argument, and you apparently don't have any idea what fraud is. But we are supposed to just accept that you know what you are talking about.

Is that about it?

Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM

I know what fraud is. Like I said the school's actions don't constitute fraud. It's that simple. Just because SOME graduates are bitter does not mean the school has participated in fraud. Schools are also allowed to "puff" a little without it a misrepsentation or fraud. Not to mention that in listing employment stats, these school also don't guarantee graduates a certain salary. Again, this appears to be an issue she is bringing into her argument. Technically she has a job. But even if the school listEd employment stats, those stats arent going to necessarily address employment stats for people that far removed from law school.

You have refused to explain how the answer to my question has bearing here. Especially since itndoes not appear that everyone who has responded to this thread is a lawyer or has a J.D.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,417,224 times
Quote:
I disagree, particularly in regards to rural areas.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,794,294 times
Interesting thread. A person wants to sue someone else for their own stupidity. How original.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I disagree, particularly in regards to rural areas.
Are you making that assessment because you think I don't have a JD?

No offense but discussions like this alarm me because the same tenacity lawyers should show in handling cases is the same tenacity they should use in finding a job to GET those cases. If lawyers can't see the benefits of heading to rural areas, even if they have to hang their own shingle, that's a problem. Seems like laziness to me moreso than some purported knowledge about the legal market. I'm in NC, I know people who are planning to either hang their own shingle come September or join in with some smaller firms in those areas. I still think some people are just too belligerent about avoiding rural areas and just automatically make the assumption that there are no josb for lawyers there. But that's good though for those who have enough common sense to realize it and who will take advantage of it. They will be making a killing while others are sitting around debating the issue while doing doc review.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,417,224 times
Quote:
Are you making that assessment because you think I don't have a JD?

No offense but discussions like this alarm me because the same tenacity lawyers should show in handling cases is the same tenacity they should use in finding a job to GET those cases. If lawyers can't see the benefits of heading to rural areas, even if they have to hang their own shingle, that's a problem. Seems like laziness to me moreso than some purported knowledge about the legal market. I'm in NC, I know people who are planning to either hang their own shingle come September or join in with some smaller firms in those areas. I still think some people are just too belligerent about avoiding rural areas and just automatically make the assumption that there are no josb for lawyers there. But that's good though for those who have enough common sense to realize it and who will take advantage of it. They will be making a killing while others are sitting around debating the issue while doing doc review.
Honesty I do not care if you have a JD. In the interest of disclosure I am a law student.

No offense, but I am just commenting on my experience working in a rural law office, before I even went to LS. I loved it and still do. If you read my posts I never said there are no jobs, in fact if I recall correctly I said there are indeed jobs. In fact some of the folks I worked with just started their own practice in rural NC. However, they, like the vast majority of attorneys I work with they are generalists and have ample litigation experience. This is particularly important because often there are only a handful of lawyers in the county to serve the diverse legal needs of the rural community and a fair amount of those needs involve time in court. I also know that that sort of thing is not for everyone so I am not going to call anyone lazy because they do not think they can handle the challenges of doing that while running a business, and bringing in your own clients something you have to do if you hang out your own shingle.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-12-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM

It's not for everyone but when someone has enough energy to pursue a $50 million frivolous lawsuit, I think they should use some of that energy to make lemonade out of lemons. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,935,303 times
boalt law, top state school law program in the country is 100k alone, and thats in state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities