Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 56,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Alright so WTF are these boatful of young academically inclined-enough-to-graduate-college-twice supposed to do then? Stock the shelf at Walmart for 8/hr? Pissing on these kids' lack of alternatives is all rah rah but let's take this equation to the mathematical limit shall we? What will the social landscape look like when the level of dispossession amongst our young child-bearing tax base is all a bunch of JD holding walmart greeters? WTF gives? We're gonna eat our Schadenfreude through our teeth that's what.

She wasn't in a T1 school. Noted. But this chick ain't the lowest common denominator, not by a mile. That is NOT a very flattering statistic about the economic competitive advantage of this country going forward. We can't all be Lebron James, or a self-made famous-for-nothing Kardashian, just like we can't all be graduates of T1 law school. People don't die quietly into the night when they get saddled with 200K worth of debt for a shot at a false dream that was the only alternative to the walmart wage. Instead, they default the system, or torch the mall if you get too uppity about their whining. I hope she wins that lawsuit, rattle that cage, upset the canoe. If you're gonna lose in life, make it unbearable for the winners to enjoy the mall on the weekends.
beautifully said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,943,950 times
Quote:
Alright so WTF are these boatful of young academically inclined-enough-to-graduate-college-twice supposed to do then? Stock the shelf at Walmart for 8/hr? Pissing on these kids' lack of alternatives is all rah rah but let's take this equation to the mathematical limit shall we? What will the social landscape look like when the level of dispossession amongst our young child-bearing tax base is all a bunch of JD holding walmart greeters? WTF gives? We're gonna eat our Schadenfreude through our teeth that's what.

She wasn't in a T1 school. Noted. But this chick ain't the lowest common denominator, not by a mile. That is NOT a very flattering statistic about the economic competitive advantage of this country going forward. We can't all be Lebron James, or a self-made famous-for-nothing Kardashian, just like we can't all be graduates of T1 law school. People don't die quietly into the night when they get saddled with 200K worth of debt for a shot at a false dream that was the only alternative to the walmart wage. Instead, they default the system, or torch the mall if you get too uppity about their whining. I hope she wins that lawsuit, rattle that cage, upset the canoe. If you're gonna lose in life, make it unbearable for the winners to enjoy the mall on the weekends.

What happens when you have a lot of un/under employed educated individuals that can't find work? It turns into civil chaos, that's what happens--look at Tunisia.

All these ignorant individuals that are delighted to see this girl fail don't understand that they themselves are on the hook for the bill as a taxpayer when she starts defaulting on her student loans.

Good post.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 AM

784 posts, read 2,733,725 times
Quote:
Alright so WTF are these boatful of young academically inclined-enough-to-graduate-college-twice supposed to do then? Stock the shelf at Walmart for 8/hr?
Yes.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM

12,114 posts, read 23,378,070 times
Well, if she got on at Walmart, being a female with a JD I would imagine that she would have to pay a little dues working on the floor and then she would get fast tracked into a management position.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times
I hope she does win. Law schools need to be far more regulated. And about 100 of them cut.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,528,341 times
LOL!!!!

Are you telling me that LAW SCHOOL made up by and run by LAWYERS are using shady tactics to make money?! And being technically honest without honoring the spirit of integrity?

No freakin' way!!! You're kidding me!

But look! They succeeded in creating an unreasonable sue-happy monster child to unleash on the world. Good job!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I hope she does win. Law schools need to be far more regulated. And about 100 of them cut.

I concur completely. Amazing how a few individuals at the top can make a lot of money while ruining an entire profession for everyone else.

Its not just law schools either, its MBA, and pharmacy schools as well. Kids are taking out massive loans to go to these schools under the impression that it'll payoff. They don't realize until they get out that there is almost no regulatory body that stringently regulates the number of accredited programs and number of students that can graduate in order to make sure there isn't oversaturation of the labor market, especially when these degrees can easily cost as much as a house. Don't even get me started on how student loans work either. That's another time bomb waiting to explode on the american economy that also needs a huge overhaul with regards to regulation.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times
Actually, if you want to cut out the crap schools, make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy. You'll see all the lending dry up for 4th-tier schools within 24 hours.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM

I concur completely, but it also goes much more beyond that. The entire banking system needs complete overhaul. In the late 90s and in 2000, we deregulated everything and allowed commercial lending banks to combine with investment banks. Ever since then banks have been making riskier and riskier loans because they can securitized debt and sell it on wall street and still turn a profit if ther risky loans go belly up. Sallie Mae, the largest provider of student loans, now has a huge investment arm of its corporation dedicated to selling and investing in student loan debt securities. The conflict of interest in allowing lending banks to invest on wall st should be blatantly obvious, after all, its the reason that caused The Great Depression. Why we deregulated banks and allowed them to merge goes beyond me. Ever since then the economy has tanked from bubble after bubble.

Regulate banks and break them up so that lenders can't make money off of issuing crappy loans by selling and investing on them on wall st.,stop the govt from guaranteeing student loans, and allow students to discharge debt in bankruptcy. Enact all of those and you'll see huge reductions in tuitions and big cuts in tuition inflatin since lenders now have to make good loans.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,417,224 times
Quote:
Actually, if you want to cut out the crap schools, make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy. You'll see all the lending dry up for 4th-tier schools within 24 hours.
Quote:
I completely agree with both of the above. Nowadays it seems like the ABA accredits anything with a pulse. At the very least they should shut down the for-profit law schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities