Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 16,987 times

Advertisements

I have completed me postgraduation in psychology from India. want to pursue phd from US . but confused between phd and psyd. also wanted to know the status of adler university. plz help!urgently needed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM

84 posts, read 142,999 times
Default Ph.D. over a Psy.D.

Ph.D.!!!!

The PsyD is not quite there yet in my opinion. People are not aware of what a PsyD means. As it is I have a difficult time explaining my Ph.D....I can't imagine trying to explain a PsyD.

Not sure about Adler U. Best of luck.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,177,642 times
One thing I was told by many Psychologists when applying for PhDs (same applies for PsyDs) in psychology is "if you have to pay to get your degree they either don't want you or it is not a school you should be going to".

Hopefully that helps you in your process and gives some info about Adler.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM

22 posts, read 62,813 times
A PhD is more research oriented. Every PhD program is different, but they all require that you have strong research interests.

A PsyD is a professional degree, like an M.D. or a D.D.S, which credentials you for the practice of the profession of a psychologist, so it is more practice oriented.

That is a very broad generalization, and there will be overlap.

There is also a difference between Counseling Psychology and Clinical Psychology. Both types of programs lead to being a psychologist and there is overlap, but again, the emphasis is different. Counseling Psychology will usually be in schools of Education, and it has more of a focus on overall wellness. Clinical Psychology is usually located in schools of Arts and Sciences, and has more of a focus on pathology and diagnosis. However, both majors lead to being a psychologist who diagnoses pathology and leads people towards wellness; it is a matter of emphasis.

Adler is accredited by the APA in Clinical Psychology (PsyD). I would do some research into where their graduates get internships and how many of them are paid internships. That (in addition to what they are giving you for going there) is usually the mark of a solid program.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
Ph.D.!!!!

The PsyD is not quite there yet in my opinion. People are not aware of what a PsyD means. As it is I have a difficult time explaining my Ph.D....I can't imagine trying to explain a PsyD.

Not sure about Adler U. Best of luck.
Thank u so much

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counselor123 View Post
A PhD is more research oriented. Every PhD program is different, but they all require that you have strong research interests.

A PsyD is a professional degree, like an M.D. or a D.D.S, which credentials you for the practice of the profession of a psychologist, so it is more practice oriented.

There is also a difference between Counseling Psychology and Clinical Psychology. Both types of programs lead to being a psychologist and there is overlap, but again, the emphasis is different. Counseling Psychology will usually be in schools of Education, and it has more of a focus on overall wellness. Clinical Psychology is usually located in schools of Arts and Sciences, and has more of a focus on pathology and diagnosis. However, both majors lead to being a psychologist who diagnoses pathology and leads people towards wellness; it is a matter of emphasis.

Adler is accredited by the APA in Clinical Psychology (PsyD). I would do some research into where their graduates get internships and how many of them are paid internships. That (in addition to what they are giving you for going there) is usually the mark of a solid program.

That is so nice of you. Thank u so much. I really appreciate ur concern and would be looking forward for ur reply.
I want to ask 1 more thing. Up till now i havent got any good feedback about psyd. and also it is more expensive. so in ur opinion which is more safe phd or psyd? and does it make any difference if i pursue my doctoral degree from a national university or an institute like adler?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
One thing I was told by many Psychologists when applying for PhDs (same applies for PsyDs) in psychology is "if you have to pay to get your degree they either don't want you or it is not a school you should be going to".

Thank u so much for sharing ur viewpoints.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

I am not sure what that means "if you have to pay to get your degree"...Don't we all have to pay for tuition to attend a college/university and get our degree?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counselor123 View Post

Great points! I agree with your distinctions.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,177,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
I am not sure what that means "if you have to pay to get your degree"...Don't we all have to pay for tuition to attend a college/university and get our degree?
There's a huge difference between paying for an undergraduate degree and paying for a PhD.

Good schools secure funding and provide for their doctoral students because they have something to offer, both through research and teaching.

If you want to go 150-200k in debt for a psychology PhD by all means....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities