Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should colleges/universities refund application fees to candidates who aren't accepted?
Yes, all schools 19 20.43%
Yes, but only public schools 4 4.30%
Yes, but only private schools 0 0%
No 70 75.27%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,480 times

Advertisements

I have no personal opinion on this—just a question that popped into my head! Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,947 times
Yes. At least let the rejected students use the money for something else (other school apps, supplies for school or work, etc).

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM

22 posts, read 62,781 times
No. The entire point of a non-refundable application fee is to show that the student is serious about their application by making them put some skin in the game.

It prevents students from wildly applying to many more schools than they have genuine interest in, and it also prevents underqualified students from applying, or at least makes them think twice.

Besides, whether you are accepted or rejected, it still cost time and money for an admissions officer or committee to process and consider your application. Actual human beings look at those, and it takes considerable time and university resources.

If the fee was refundable, then Admissions Offices would be overwhelmed with many more applications, by much less qualified or interested students, and would have less money to pay for staff to handle the applications.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM

84 posts, read 142,901 times
Personally, I think they should...I work at a for-profit (that's for you counselor123) company and we do refund their money if not accepted. Some states are requiring refunds of appliation fees.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
I don't get why so many people think that just because they don't like the outcome, that no one put any time in to produce it. If you don't like your doctor's advice, does that mean that he didn't spend time seeing you? Or time performing tests and evaluating the results? Do you no longer have to pay for your appointment and the tests?

It's no different with school applications. Just because you didn't get the result you wanted, doesn't mean the school administrators didn't spend time reviewing your application. They aren't volunteers, you know. They have to be paid for that time. You think the other applicants who were accepted should pay for the time it took to review both their applicant and yours? Why? If anything, theirs should be waived because they didn't waste the school's time. They actually submitted a worthwhile application.

Last edited by kodaka; 06-09-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
I don't see how anyone could successfully defend answering yes to this poll.

I'm inclined to start a sister poll: Should colleges refund tuition if they don't pass you based your coursework?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
On the one hand, it does take time and energy to evaluate an applicant. On the other, I think it's unethical when colleges encourage as many kids as possible to apply, despite knowing very well that only a small percentage will be accepted. There's a prestige factor that comes with having far more applicants than spots available.

I don't think a return of fee would result in a rise in applications. College applications still take an enormous amount of time to complete, and for many students the fee is the least of their concerns.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't see how anyone could successfully defend answering yes to this poll.

I'm inclined to start a sister poll: Should colleges refund tuition if they don't pass you based your coursework?
Indeed!

I was thinking "what a wierd question" when I saw the title but then I clicked the link and started reading....I can tell which people probably didn't get into college!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,676 times
Anyone who voted yes to this question is an idiot. Mods can remove this post, but that is the truth

If colleges are required to refund application fees for rejected students, every 18 year old kid in the world would apply to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,676 times
..And I will add - what a waste of time all of the fee and refund processing would be.

If a college was dumb enough to do this, it should just save administrative costs by making the application free, and adding the fee onto tuition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities